Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WOCS or OCS?

Originally posted by SoldiersCreed View Post
    Honestly I want to be a Warrant Officer because I want to take the path and needed steps to be an expert in my field. From what i've seen CO's have to such a broad range of responsibilities that they cant really focus on one thing. i know i have a lot more research to do on both regardless. i was just trying to get some opinions from both sides. Seems like everyone says the other one is better....
    Why don't you just go to a reputable 4 year university such as a state school and major in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering? It's a shorter, more lucrative, and more versatile path.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
      Because it sure isn't for the money!!
      I'm not so sure. O2E maxed with dependant BAH is pretty darn good. I personally can't compete with it by 20k in the civilian sector.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        I'm not so sure. O2E maxed with dependant BAH is pretty darn good. I personally can't compete with it by 20k in the civilian sector.
        There aren't that many that can to be honest - at least not entry level positions.

Put it this way. Even as a software engineer in the defense sector with a security clearance, my starting pay was less than what I would have made as an O-2 with no dependent BAH. However, 2-3 years down the road that wouldn't be the case. Private sector pay would definitely eclipse military pay. A senior engineer (5-8 years of experience) would make approximately the same as an O-5 and maybe even an O-6. The real money-maker is "differential pay" against your military base (if your employer offers it). That's extreme profit.

Nevertheless, the military (especially AGR) is a much better paying option for 95% of the people out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          Why don't you just go to a reputable 4 year university such as a state school and major in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering? It's a shorter, more lucrative, and more versatile path.
          That seems like a good idea. Im not really sure how life is going to be after AIT. I guess I'll have a while to think about it because mine is so long

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
            There is no shortcut to being a WO. You'll learn this when you actually talk to a WO about his/her field. It's astounding how much a human being can know about a single piece of equipment.

I have a Warrant Officer story to share

So, there I was, trying to qualify with an M-16. Three different people, two Sergeants and a so-called high speed E4. Every time I shot I either grouped too far to the left or too far up and to the right. Each soldier checked my weapon and tweeked the sites. No matter what they did my grouping did not improve. Now, mind you, I qualified at Ft Benning BCT with an M4 carbine and a CCO.

After nearly a half day of shooting they were beginning to look at me like I was "that guy". Now, dammit, I was one of only a few guys on the range at Benning to hit the 1000 yard silhouette--with broken civilian glasses at that. Finally, the E4 takes me to the one Warrant Officer on the range. He looks at the weapon and in 3 seconds he says: "Well, go figure. Your night sight is up. Flip up your day sight." After that I grouped dead on the bullseye. They were so shocked they made me shoot another magazine. Grouped bullseye yet again. I told the WO how I qualified at Benning. He said: "They crippled you, guy. But you're right as rain now." He was a prior Marine turned NG warrant. The guy looked hard as nails. What the hell do they do to Marines to make em' look like WWII bomber jacket leather?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
              There is no shortcut to being a WO. You'll learn this when you actually talk to a WO about his/her field. It's astounding how much a human being can know about a single piece of equipment.

So, there I was, trying to qualify with an M-16. Three different people, two Sergeants and a so-called high speed E4. Every time I shot I either grouped too far to the left or too far up and to the right. Each soldier checked my weapon and tweeked the sites. No matter what they did my grouping did not improve. Now, mind you, I qualified at Ft Benning BCT with an M4 carbine and a CCO.

After nearly a half day of shooting they were beginning to look at me like I was "that guy". Now, dammit, I was one of only a few guys on the range at Benning to hit the 1000 yard silhouette--with broken civilian glasses at that. Finally, the E4 takes me to the one Warrant Officer on the range. He looks at the weapon and in 3 seconds he says: "Well, go figure. Your night sight is up. Flip up your day sight." After that I grouped dead on the bullseye. They were so shocked they made me shoot another magazine. Grouped bullseye yet again. I told the WO how I qualified at Benning. He said: "They crippled you, guy. But you're right as rain now." He was a prior Marine turned NG warrant. The guy looked hard as nails. What the hell do they do to Marines to make em' look like WWII bomber jacket leather?

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post

They keep them in the sun....all day. My 17 year old brother already was starting to look like that after Boot Camp at Paris Island. He just came home on leave from his AIT in Twentynine Palms, CA and looks like those khaki WWI boots.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                  They keep them in the sun....all day. My 17 year old brother already was starting to look like that after Boot Camp at Paris Island. He just came home on leave from his AIT in Twentynine Palms, CA and looks like those khaki WWI boots.
                  Holy moly. Every single Ex Marine I've been in training with that's in their 30's looks 20 years older than their true age. And don't get me wrong but they are always high speed on everything there is to know about being a soldier--BUT they always seem to be missing a cogwheel or their timing belt is not in time. Not a putdown, just an observation.

Comment

Holy moly. Every single Ex Marine I've been in training with that's in their 30's looks 20 years older than their true age. And don't get me wrong but they are always high speed on everything there is to know about being a soldier--BUT they always seem to be missing a cogwheel or their timing belt is not in time. Not a putdown, just an observation.
                    Well I been a Warrant for five years and always been told that I look younger than I am and that I am swimming with all oars in the water. I am easy to get along with as long as you dont cross me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                      Well I been a Warrant for five years and always been told that I look younger than I am and that I am swimming with all oars in the water. I am easy to get along with as long as you dont cross me lol.
                      Hey, I said they had a cogwheel loose. I didn't say I couldn't get along with them.

All the Ex-Marines were closer to my age. We had to stick together in order to tolerate the snot nosed teenagers.

Comment

Hhhmmmmmm.... well then that would make me look about 70+!

Be some serious APFT score adjustment for that now don't ya think?

Comment

What the hell do they do to Marines to make em' look like WWII bomber jacket leather?
                          They sit on the range all day in the sun waiting on BOLOs to qualify!

Comment

Originally posted by Fmr Devil Dog View Post
                            Hhhmmmmmm.... well then that would make me look about 70+!

Be some serious APFT score adjustment for that now don't ya think?
                            Where did this Chief come from? And a first post at boot. Ooh-Rah!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                              Where did this Chief come from? And a first post at boot. Ooh-Rah!!
                              I know. This forum is getting packed full of em, I've never seen so many WO's in one place outside of aviation.
                              Last edited by ack202; March 21st, 2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
                                They sit on the range all day in the sun waiting on BOLOs to qualify!

Actually, he never came out from under the shade of the trees all day. Great guy, though. How two veteran NCO's overlooked something as simple as the setting of the rear sight on an M-16 is beyond me. No disrespect to them. But the WO was right. If I were trained correctly with iron sights and a M-16 at BCT, I would have shot even better than with a carbine and a CCO. I grouped better in five minutes with the M-16 than I grouped all through basic with a carbine.
                                Last edited by VICEROY06; March 21st, 2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X