X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOCS or OCS?

Im an E-1 going to Basic April 30th. My MOS is 25S (Satellite Communications Operator) and im trying to do some long term planning. My goal is to make it to officer by any means necessary. After AIT, is it easier\more beneficial for me to try and make it to Warrant Officer, or just go back to school and enter an ROTC program?

Re: WOCS or OCS?

Private, I have little doubt about your sincerity and that alone is admirable. I am not sure that the goal of "make it to officer by any means necessary" is the wisest mentality. Honestly if you aim and achieve success in the things you do each day, the rest will likely follow automatically. The role of warrant and officer are different in their scope and area of responsibility. There is no easier one...just different paths. If you don't know or care about the difference (as your initial post implies) you most likely aren't ready for either.
    Good luck in Basic.

Comment

Thank you sir\ma'am. Right that's more of what I meant to ask, because I know there are only certain MOS's that feed into them (the warrant officers). And i've been told that changing your MOS isn't really a good idea. So if that's actually true then I wouldn't be able to do it anyway. "By any means necessary" I meant that I dont care how difficult it will be, however I do want a goal that I can actually accomplish.

Comment

If you are an E-1, trying to become a Signal Warrant Officer is anywhere from five to eight years from now. I have met many capable NCOs that were not selected for the Warrant Officer. It is a very competitive and tight selection. At least if you get your bachelor's degree, meet the GT and medical requirements (same for Warrant), you can become a Commissioned Officer at a earlier timeline.

My suggestion is to know more than the basics of your MOS, keep your nose clean, move into leadership positions and try for some operational deployments. Also, earn an IT degree and certifications. If those things align and after three years as an NCO; you will have the basic requirements to become a Signal Warrant. Technical Warrants are a small and elite Corps of Soldiers.

Comment

Yes, I have a ma'am that I call mongoose lmaof

Comment

I'll bite. Why, exactly, do you want to be an officer? If you want it so bad to get it "by any means necessary," then what is your motivation? This is probably the most important question to answer before deciding if you should be a Commissioned Officer or a Warrant Officer.

Comment

Because it sure isn't for the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                Because it sure isn't for the money!!
                I have decided, considering the amount of work I have to do between IDTs, that I get paid about half as much per hour of work as an E1.

Comment

Yup, that's a pretty real expectation. Not to mention all of the other duties (maintenance officer, EO officer, UMO, etc) which have little to do with our PL stuff.

Least we get spiffy bling on our ASUs!

Comment

Honestly I want to be a Warrant Officer because I want to take the path and needed steps to be an expert in my field. From what i've seen CO's have to such a broad range of responsibilities that they cant really focus on one thing. i know i have a lot more research to do on both regardless. i was just trying to get some opinions from both sides. Seems like everyone says the other one is better....

Comment

Originally posted by SoldiersCreed View Post
                      Honestly I want to be a Warrant Officer because I want to take the path and needed steps to be an expert in my field. From what i've seen CO's have to such a broad range of responsibilities that they cant really focus on one thing. i know i have a lot more research to do on both regardless. i was just trying to get some opinions from both sides. Seems like everyone says the other one is better....
                      Being a Commissioned Officer is better for me, being a Warrant Officer is better for my Chiefs. That's how it works. If you want to be an expert in a particular field, you're going to have to learn your field, which takes years. Become a proven expert, then worry about getting the rank that says you're an expert. There is no shortcut to being a WO. You'll learn this when you actually talk to a WO about his/her field. It's astounding how much a human being can know about a single piece of equipment.

Comment

It's astounding how much a human being can know about a single piece of equipment.

.... or where all of the bodies are buried. Treat WOs with severe respect and bring them sugar-cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                          It's astounding how much a human being can know about a single piece of equipment.

.... or where all of the bodies are buried. Treat WOs with severe respect and bring me liquorice.
                          Fixed and you will get the most supremo service possible. In my field, it is so much to learn, it is impossible to know everything. But having that single-track specialty officer helps provide the Commander the latest and greatest of information. Everyday, I sort out so much conflicting information that it is like solving a puzzle.

Comment

Also, I would like to add is that WOs are expected to work without supervision and to deal with a wide array of issues and to solve them. Many Warrants refuse to not engage any senior NCOs and COs because they just like getting the job done on their own. I, on the other hand, use all resources at my disposal and never afraid to engage another Soldier on a issue.

The Action Officer Development Course is required before we attend the advance course http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/WOCC/aodc.asp Enlisted and COs can and do take this course as well. This course helps you to function as an effective staff officer and and enhance your problem solving skills. I know my stakeholders in all my projects and keep them abreast. I have a huge PBUSE, SAMS-E and MC4 project that I am currently working on.

Comment

Also, I would like to add is that WOs are expected to work without supervision and to deal with a wide array of issues and to solve them. Many Warrants refuse to not engage any senior NCOs and COs because they just like getting the job done on their own. I, on the other hand, use all resources at my disposal and never afraid to engage another Soldier on a issue.

The Action Officer Development Course is required before we attend the advance course http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/WOCC/aodc.asp Enlisted and COs can and do take this course as well. This course helps you to function as an effective staff officer and and enhance your problem solving skills. I know my stakeholders in all my projects and keep them abreast. I have a huge PBUSE, SAMS-E and MC4 project that I am currently working on.

Comment

Working...
                              X