X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Colorado OCS

I am considering enlisting in the Army National Guard under the OCS enlistment option. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has gone through the Colorado OCS process, and if they may be able to provide some insight on what the process is like. It is my understanding that one has to apply to OCS, and be accepted or rejected from OCS. Also, in Colorado does one go to BCT before applying to OCS or after. Thank you.

Re: CO Colorado OCS

Originally posted by MAH View Post
    I am considering enlisting in the Army National Guard under the OCS enlistment option. ...Also, in Colorado does one go to BCT before applying to OCS or after. Thank you.
    I'm not from CO, but I can answer this part because it's standard across the NG. You enlist 09S, you go to BCT, then you start the path towards OCS whether it be pre-phase or RSP-O or what have you.

Now there's always the option to enlist under some other MOS, go to AIT, then try to apply to OCS later. That's entirely different though.

Comment

I expressed my desire to be an officer to my recruiter when I first met him. He told me that OCS really wasn't happening right now and I'd have a better chance going enlisted first and then applying. I told him I would wait and see what the officer track looked like in a couple months. Well, a couple months passed and he called me saying that he was in some meetings and could possibly get me a slot in the federal OCS track. I was more than thrilled, and I honestly didnt have to do much more. He did all the work on his end and reserved me a slot in 2014.

I have experience with officer boards and the 'packet' process as I applied to active duty Air Force OTS about 3 years ago. From what I have experienced, the two application processes are completly different. With the ARNG, I did not put together anything related to a packet (LOR's, personal statement, or even have an interview) that I had to do with AFOTS. The only 'extra step' that I was even aware of was applying for the appropriate security clearance required of officers, versus enlisted. (And checking the box for [X] Commission at MEPS. (on a side note I when to MEPS when I was considering the enlisted side and did not have this box checked, and my recruiter was able to make the appropriate adjustments w/out me going back for an identical physical)

Sorry for the long-winded response. In sum, as it was said previously, you enlist as "09S" -an officer candidate- and attend BCT first. (assuming you have your 4yr degree you are techincally an E4 max at BCT) then its off to what ever OCS track (Accelerated, Federal, or Traditional). Lastly, you attend your Branch Training (BOLC).
      Last edited by Hawks; March 22nd, 2013, 02:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post
        He told me that OCS really wasn't happening right now and I'd have a better chance going enlisted first and then applying.
        That translates to "you're the first guy that's asked about OCS, and I really don't know how to do it. Why don't you try this other thing that you don't really want, but I know how to do."

Glad to see it worked out, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
          That translates to "you're the first guy that's asked about OCS, and I really don't know how to do it. Why don't you try this other thing that you don't really want, but I know how to do."

Glad to see it worked out, though.

Exactly. I discovered that he normally works with highschoolers and pre-college age individuals. He even told me that he 'wasnt sure how the process worked exactly' which I took as he had not really-if at all- had an applicant that joined as an 09S. But I too am glad that all is finally coming to a close. I sign contract next week.

Comment

Working...
          X