Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal OCS-National Guard

Hello,

I am interested in becoming an officer in the military. My main priority is to become an active duty officer. The only thing hurting my is my GPA is a 2.8 which my recruiter says leaves me no chance at getting into OCS within the Army. Which brings me to the National Guard....... Talking to the National Guard recruiter, he stated that i could go to the federal OCS and possible get an Active Duty Commission after completion..... Is that correct? I know there are no Guarantees, but i want to make the best possible decision on becoming an Officer.

Priority 1 : Become an Officer on Active Duty

Priority 2 : Be the best Leader i can be

Side note..... Other than my GPA holding me down, I feel like I am the perfect candidate. (I have some stellar recommendations and Volunteer background) Not perfect, but i think competitive. I have always struggled in school and a horrible test taker which is what hurt my GPA, But all of my professors thought i was a great student. What i mean is not everything always shows through on paper. Your advice is much appreciated and opinions welcomed.
    Last edited by Bennytsmith; February 27th, 2013, 09:09 PM.

Re: Federal OCS-National Guard

Originally posted by Bennytsmith View Post
    Hello,

I am interested in becoming an officer in the military. My main priority is to become an active duty officer. The only thing hurting my is my GPA is a 2.8 which my recruiter says leaves me no chance at getting into OCS within the Army. Which brings me to the National Guard....... Talking to the National Guard recruiter, he stated that i could go to the federal OCS and possible get an Active Duty Commission after completion..... Is that correct? I know there are no Guarantees, but i want to make the best possible decision on becoming an Officer.

Side note..... Other than my GPA holding me down, I feel like I am the perfect candidate. (I have some stellar recommendations and Volunteer background) Not perfect, but i think competitive. I have always struggled in school and a horrible test taker which is what hurt my GPA, But all of my professors thought i was a great student. What i mean is not everything always shows through on paper. Your advice is much appreciated and dare welcomed.
    Possible? Yes.

Probable? No.

Comment

Hello,

Side note..... Other than my GPA holding me down, I feel like I am the perfect candidate. (I have some stellar recommendations and Volunteer background) Not perfect, but i think competitive. I have always struggled in school and a horrible test taker which is what hurt my GPA, But all of my professors thought i was a great student. What i mean is not everything always shows through on paper. Your advice is much appreciated and dare welcomed.
      BLUF: it's probably not going to happen.

A commission is a commission is a commission. It doesn't matter if you got it from State OCS, ROTC, Federal OCS, or USMA. They are equally federally recognized. If you are a reserve/NG officer and want to go on active duty, the source of your commission is immaterial.

What is material is the demand for active duty officers, which is pretty low. Especially for inexperienced lieutenants lacking some serious technical skills/degrees.

With that out of the way, is it an active Army recruiter who is telling you that you have no chance at getting OCS? NG recruiters and Active recruiters are not on the same team. They are competing for you. Of course an NG recruiter is going to tell you that you shouldn't enlist with active duty.

By the way, don't make excuses or try to minimize the relevance of your GPA. Just admit that it's low and move on. Good luck.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback Jwarren.... Going to give it my all.

Comment

Active Duty Recruiter says its very competitive and would be very difficult to get selected for OCS........ NG Recruiter says everything is possible and didn't see much of a problem. Only thing is i prefer to go Active. If I'm going to make the commitment, I want to make the most of it.

Comment

Active Duty Recruiter says its very competitive and would be very difficult to get selected for OCS........ NG Recruiter says everything is possible and didn't see much of a problem. Only thing is i prefer to go Active. If I'm going to make the commitment, I want to make the most of it.
            Just be advised that the chances of the active component accepting you (after you commission into the Reserve Component) at this point in time are slim to none. But regardless, it isn't your commissioning source that's going to be the obstacle -- it's just whether or not the AC will open its doors for you, or anyone. Good luck.

Comment

Understood. I am in the process of putting my packet together and am going to apply to the active component first. You never know until you try. Thanks again.

Comment

Hello,

Talking to the National Guard recruiter, he stated that i could go to the federal OCS and possible get an Active Duty Commission after completion..... Is that correct?
                No. He makes it sound like you can enlist NG and walk into Federal OCS, then by some magic they will take you onto AD from there and you can just waive bye-bye to the Guard. Not so. You'd be locked into the Guard until you are AT LEAST a Captain. There's a program that "usually" comes out every year called "Call to Active Duty." This is the only way AD has been taking officers in from the Reserve component for the last several years, and they do not take Lieutenants.

The only thing hurting my is my GPA is a 2.8 which my recruiter says leaves me no chance at getting into OCS within the Army.
                I went through the entire AD OCS process once, boarded and was selected. It's competitive, but by no means are you automatically out because of a 2.8 GPA. That's pretty close to 3.0 and I know some who were chosen and selected, recently mind you, with around 2.5s and up. That's about the breaking point though. With the AD process it's all about selling yourself on the board interview (and sometime's the pre-interview with the Recruiting Company Commander). If you want AD you better just stick to your guns and tell that recruiter you want to enlist 09S and try it anyway.

If the AD recruiter is still stone-walling you, go find another recruiter. The process has been made easier at least for the rest of this year. You only have to pass the Recruiting Battalion interview as opposed to the former process which was sit through BN interview, then your packet went up to Recruiting Command for a paper look and then results came out. If BN selects you now, you're in.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                  No. He makes it sound like you can enlist NG and walk into Federal OCS, then by some magic they will take you onto AD from there and you can just waive bye-bye to the Guard. Not so. You'd be locked into the Guard until you are AT LEAST a Captain. There's a program that "usually" comes out every year called "Call to Active Duty." This is the only way AD has been taking officers in from the Reserve component for the last several years, and they do not take Lieutenants.

That was the interpretation i got from the NG recruiter, but it didn't sound correct to me. Thanks for the clarification.

I went through the entire AD OCS process once, boarded and was selected. It's competitive, but by no means are you automatically out because of a 2.8 GPA. That's pretty close to 3.0 and I know some who were chosen and selected, recently mind you, with around 2.5s and up. That's about the breaking point though. With the AD process it's all about selling yourself on the board interview (and sometime's the pre-interview with the Recruiting Company Commander). If you want AD you better just stick to your guns and tell that recruiter you want to enlist 09S and try it anyway.

If the AD recruiter is still stone-walling you, go find another recruiter. The process has been made easier at least for the rest of this year. You only have to pass the Recruiting Battalion interview as opposed to the former process which was sit through BN interview, then your packet went up to Recruiting Command for a paper look and then results came out. If BN selects you now, you're in.

Last night i went searching for the actual regs for requirements on getting into OCS. Based off my findings GPA is not even a requirement, But it is used as a tool too evaluate new recruits which creates the competitive nature of getting into OCS. Thank you eqmcclure for your input.... I am definitely feeling better about putting in my packet. I sat down with a close family friend last night just retired as a 3 star. Ive known them since i was a kid and he has provided me guidance most of my life. He pretty much agreed with what you said. Seeing the type of soldier he and person he is really inspires me to be all i can be. Excuse the army pun, wasn't on purpose. I am definitely going to put my best foot forward, Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Comment

Another option the OP has is to go through the Reserves. The OCS process to get it is the same (09S -> BCT -> OCS), but transferring between USAR and AD is much easier once you get commissioned, branched and stationed (A/D and USAR are more... connected, for a lack of a better term, than the A/D and NG are).

A good friend of mine went that route and became an MI Officer in the USAR. She spent about 6 months at her unit in DFW and has been on various missions OCONUS the past 3 years and recently pinned CPT. She is also super-squared away and has been kicking arse at every school they've sent her to.

So, it does happen. Just gotta bring you "A" game.
                    Last edited by TxIntel 1978; February 28th, 2013, 09:42 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                      Another option the OP has is to go through the Reserves. The OCS process to get it is the same (09S -> BCT -> OCS), but transferring between USAR and AD is much easier once you get commissioned, branched and stationed (A/D and USAR are more... connected, for a lack of a better term, than the A/D and NG are).

A good friend of mine went that route and became an MI Officer in the USAR. She spent about 6 months at her unit in DFW and has been on various missions OCONUS the past 3 years and recently pinned CPT. She is also super-squared away and has been kicking arse at every school they've sent her to.

Couldn't agree more with you.... Ive been lucky to watch my dad with his soldiers over the years. How he groomed them and prepared them for their future success. I really believe your success in the military depends on how much your willing to listen to your NCO's and being humble. I just hope I can take what my father has taught me over the years and be 10% of the soldier he was. He definitely set the bar pretty high and I want to build on to his legacy.

Comment

Stop putting out bad info. It is no easier to transfer to AC from the USAR. The officer still must qualify for the program.

If you really want to try for active duty, go to armyocs.com where there are active duty officers who can far better gauge your record.

Comment

Well Sir, the info isn't bad. It is easier to transfer from the USAR to AD simply because they are both Federal and they do not have the dual purpose mission/ownership. USAR officers do not have to go through their State or the NGB to get released.

Now the current climate may prevent either from doing so and until that changes, there is not blanket program for either. But seeings how a 1LT did it without the "Call to Active Duty Program", well... yeah.

You are correct though. If the OP's ultimate goal is to go Active, then that should be his first route.

Comment

Well Sir, the info isn't bad. It is easier to transfer from the USAR to AD simply because they are both Federal and they do not have the dual purpose mission/ownership. USAR officers do not have to go through their State or the NGB to get released.

Now the current climate may prevent either from doing so and until that changes, there is not blanket program for either. But seeings how a 1LT did it without the "Call to Active Duty Program", well... yeah.

You are correct though. If the OP's ultimate goal is to go Active, then that should be his first route.
                            It is bad info. Being federal and sharing the same recruiting command is all the USAR and active duty have in common. It's far easier to get a release in the NG then it is the USAR.

And the only process to for an officer to transfer to active duty is through the call to active duty. MI was a branch that usually allows it to happen.

Comment

Well sir, seeings how I specifically asked her how she did it and it was not through that program, I'll take that this is one of those exceptions to the rules that happens from time to time... Hooah.

Comment

Working...
                              X