Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does rotc work for current college students?

Hello everyone, I'm currently a freshman at a private university which offers a national guard rotc scholarship. I'm very interested in this for a few reasons, but the main ones are the ability to commission as an officer while earning my degree and the tuition assistance. My question is whether or not I have to enlist to do rotc under scholarship. It is my understanding that students who receive a scholarship during senior year of high school do not have to enlist, and I've heard about people compressing the first 2 years into sophomore year or attending basic after freshman year to make up for the first year missed. I'm not trying to avoid enlisting, and I am still considering enlisting and going to bct this summer, but I am simply trying to lay out all my options and figure out the best way to reach my goal as an officer. Also, the guard website mentions 2 distinct rotc scholarships, one of which requires SMP and the other just recommends it (these are 2 and 3 year scholarships, so wouldn't that imply I can attain one while in college?)

Thank you for the help!

Re: how does rotc work for current college students?

Why don't you talk to your school's ROTC department about these questions? They'll be the most qualified to answer them.

Comment

What do you want to accomplish, and what are your priorities?

You say you want all the options, but that's a huge waste of time, since the vast majority of options available are ones that you don't want. Let's figure out what you do want, and then figure out the two or three ways to get there.

Comment

thank you for your time. My goal is to serve in the Guard as an officer and commission after earning my bachelor's, and I believe ROTC is the best way to do that for me. The tuition assistance is obviously a large factor, but I believe the experience (both ROTC and military in general) would be invaluable and the ability to drill while in school seems very appealing to me.

I would hope to attend 2 years of grad school while serving as an officer, but if this is too time-consuming (or obviously if I am deployed), I would not have a problem saving grad school for later.

My main question is whether or not cadets are typically able to compress the first two years of ROTC into sophomore year without enlisting/attending basic (or if it is too late for me to apply to do so). the recruiter I recently spoke with said I must enlist and attend basic this summer to begin rotc next year under scholarship, and I just want to lay out all options before making a decision. I am trying to get a hold of my school's specific ROTC department but I thought I would put the question out here to see what I can find out, I'm not sure if ROTC programs vary by schools or if it is more universal.

Again thank you for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by bellboy3 View Post
          My main question is whether or not cadets are typically able to compress the first two years of ROTC into sophomore year without enlisting/attending basic (or if it is too late for me to apply to do so). the recruiter I recently spoke with said I must enlist and attend basic this summer to begin rotc next year under scholarship, and I just want to lay out all options before making a decision. I am trying to get a hold of my school's specific ROTC department but I thought I would put the question out here to see what I can find out, I'm not sure if ROTC programs vary by schools or if it is more universal.
          There is a summer program called LTC that compresses the first two years of ROTC. The only problem with that the course counts only for ROTC. It means nothing in any other realm, and gives you no other benefits. Basic and AIT have benefits in addition to the training value (e.g., qualification for tuition assistance).

Comment

Originally posted by bellboy3 View Post

Again thank you for your time.
            This is just flat out wrong. You do not have to enlist to go into ROTC under scholarship.... All this Recruiter is trying to do is get an easy enlistment. In fact, recruiters have absolutely nothing to do with ROTC scholarshgips. Like the good LTC said, you can attend the LTC Course and take care of your MSI/II years in one setting (needs approval from the PMS to attend... not usually an issue).

I suggest you stop talking to the recruiter and start talking to the school. There are 2 types of ROTC scholarships - Regular and GRFD. Regular is just that, regular. You are put up against all the other cadets in the country on the OML and are assessed as such. GRFD is strictly for RA/NG officers only. When you commission, you *will* be a RA/NG officer. In addition, as GRFD, it is up to you to locate a unit and branching assignment and you will be able to utilize the SMP option.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
              I suggest you stop talking to the recruiter and start talking to the school.
              Check. Go into your school's ROTC Office (Like I said...), and speak with the ROO (Recruiting Operations Officer).

Comment

thank you for the help, I was able to get a hold of an rotc officer in charge of my region (there's a few colleges that are included in the same ROTC program) and I'll be meeting with her later this week, or at least having a phone call.

Does anyone think it would be possible to obtain a 2 year master's while serving as an officer time-wise, or if the commitment after rotc is active duty national guard or part time (drill, annual training, etc.)?

Comment

Officer commitments varies by branch and position. As a new 2LT, it should not be too difficult to fit in school with work and NG duties.

As for what you get after commissioning in terms of component, that is a whole other beast. There are a ton of threads on this forum in regards to accessions.

Use "Search" you will, young padawan...

Comment

Working...
                  X