X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From ROTC to OCS: Is It Possible?

I'm currently serving in the National Guard, and have been for 10 years now. I just turned 29 this month, to explain a little bit about myself. I want to become an officer in the Guard. I contracted and completed ROTC while attending the University of Michigan. However, I did not complete and graduate from my degree program, and therefore was ineligible for my 2009 commission and subsequently dis-enrolled. Since then, I've transferred universities and am working towards my bachelor's in business management.

I still wish to become an officer. Although I do not have my bachelor's degree, I have well over the minimum 90 credits required for OCS.

1) Am I still eligible for OCS given that I was previously contracted with ROTC?

2) If so, how do I go about applying for and attending state OCS?

Re: From ROTC to OCS: Is It Possible?

Originally posted by Style View Post
    I'm currently serving in the National Guard, and have been for 10 years now. I just turned 29 this month, to explain a little bit about myself. I want to become an officer in the Guard. I contracted and completed ROTC while attending the University of Michigan. However, I did not complete and graduate from my degree program, and therefore was ineligible for my 2009 commission and subsequently dis-enrolled. Since then, I've transferred universities and am working towards my bachelor's in business management.

I still wish to become an officer. Although I do not have my bachelor's degree, I have well over the minimum 90 credits required for OCS.

1) Am I still eligible for OCS given that I was previously contracted with ROTC?

Give your State OSM a call. Your battalion should have the contact information.

Comment

Originally posted by Style View Post

I see a few red flags here and I think you need to parlay some more information with complete honesty.

When you say "You contract and completed ROTC", what exactly does that mean? You did all 4 years with passing GPA? Did you completed LTC and LDAC? Did you assess? Since you did not finish school, how many semesters were you on Academic Probation and/or Suspension of Benefits (Because failing a class at the last semester of your Sr year should not be a surprise to anyone). What recourse did the program have when you dropped out (ie - payback money, service requirement, etc?)

And finally, why have you not finished your Sr year in the past 3 - 4 years since 2009?

Comment

It happens. I had a former Company Commander that flunked West Point but was able to go to another college and commission through ROTC. There is still an opportunity. Many ways to skin a cat.

Comment

I'm not saying that there are not others ways to commission, but the OP stated that he "contracted and completed ROTC". "Contracted" means he swore in and got a DA-597(or -3). "Completed" means that he went to LDAC between his MSIII and MSIV year, assessed and got branched.

As you know, when enrolled in ROTC, the Cadet Command does a grades/class review every semester (the infamous CC 104-R). If the OP had any issues with classes at all throughout his schooling, he would have been flagged and put on a suspension of benefits. Now, if none of that happened, then that means the OP went through 3.5 years of college (or 1.5 if he came in as an MSIII) on his CC 104-R, had no issues at all and then all of a sudden bombed his Sr Year, 2nd Semester.

So, the questions I asked still remain. Cadet Command would not (normally) allow a cadet to tank his MSIV year and be an MSV, unless the guy was stellar up to that point. And going forward, they wouldn't allow him to continue to tank as an MSV for another semester or 2.

Now, there is an off-chance that he was in an academically challenging program (like Engineering or Advanced Underwater Basket Weaving) and was allowed to be an MSV (rare, but not unheard of). But this would have to have been approved long before his MSIV year, again, by semester reviews of his grades and CC 104-R.

Comment

Working...
          X