Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tentative Officer Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I've posted on here before about working out law school and the guard and since I'll be graduating in a semester, I've started to try and really nail down the timeline along with the way I want to approach things in the future. As of right now I have the Timeline looking something like this:

Fall 2013 Graduate from College
    Spring 2013 Attend BCT

That's the part that seems pretty easy and concrete. The rest is where I need help. I am applying to law school, and want to avoid interrupting law school if at all possible. With that being said, I was thinking of running the rest of the timeline like this...

Begin Traditional OCS as close to the beginning of the 1st semester of law school as possible (ride out Traditional OCS for 16 months)
    Put off BOLC until I graduate from law school (because as I understand it I have 2 years to complete BOLC after completing OCS)

Would it work like this? If so, that would be perfect. I definitely want to serve in the NC ARNG, just don't want to impact my law school education if I can help it.

I might want to add that I would like to pursue a pilot slot in the NC ARNG, but I have a list of other MOS's to pursue in the event that isn't possible.

I just want to get feedback on my plan and if it's more hopeful than realistic.

V/R,

Kilotango

(As stated below, I want to be a lawyer on the civilian side, soldier on the other. I really don't want to lawyer on both sides.)
    Last edited by Kilotango; February 19th, 2013, 10:10 AM. Reason: Commentary

Re: Tentative Officer Timeline

Originally posted by Kilotango View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've posted on here before about the Lawyer/JAG route and since I'll be graduating in a semester, I've started to try and really nail down the timeline along with the way I want to approach things in the future. As of right now I have the Timeline looking something like this:

Fall 2013 Graduate from College
    Spring 2013 Attend BCT

That's the part that seems pretty easy and concrete. The rest is where I need help. I am applying to law school, and want to avoid interrupting law school if at all possible. With that being said, I was thinking of running the rest of the timeline like this...

Begin Traditional OCS as close to the beginning of the 1st semester of law school as possible (ride out Traditional OCS for 16 months)
    Put off BOLC until I graduate from law school (because as I understand it I have 2 years to complete BOLC after completing OCS)

Would it work like this? If so, that would be perfect. I definitely want to serve in the NC ARNG, just don't want to impact my law school education if I can help it.

I might want to add that I would like to pursue a pilot slot in the NC ARNG, but I have a list of other MOS's to pursue in the event that isn't possible.

I just want to get feedback on my plan and if it's more hopeful than realistic.

V/R,

Kilotango
    Honestly, it's not going to work like that. Your BOLC dates are dependent on slots available, and you'll have to get with your branch manager about those. As far as putting it off... Good luck finding a unit that's willing to take a 2LT that isn't interested in going to BOLC for two years. You're what they call "non-branch qualified." Your CO and 1SG will refer to you as a "useless Lieutenant." Don't be that guy. Joining the NG, you're going to figure out that everything else you do in your life needs to be scheduled around the Guard. It's a hard truth, but it's the truth. May just want to wait until you finish law school to begin. It's not like OCS is going to be a cake-walk, either. I'm not sure how feasible it is to attend OCS while in Law School...

Comment

You are all over the map, so what is it that you really want to do - JAG or aviation or something else? There are significantly different courses of action available to you based on what your real goal is, but you have to commit to one first.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
        You are all over the map, so what is it that you really want to do - JAG or aviation or something else? There are significantly different courses of action available to you based on what your real goal is, but you have to commit to one first.
        Not really all over the map. I want to be a lawyer on the civilian side, pilot on the guard side. I was considering JAG before, but I'd rather not be a lawyer on two fronts.

Comment

BLUF: You're being overly optimistic about your plan.

-Have you confirmed that OCS classes start in the fall? It may be that they do, but in my state traditional OCS classes only start in the spring..
          -Have you considered the time commitment required to do well in school and OCS? My assumption is that you won't be attending Duke, UNC, or Wake Law, because if you were you wouldn't be thinking about going through OCS and law school at the same time (based on the attitude of people I know that attended each of those schools).
          -From a non-army stand point, if you're not going to one of the top 3 law schools in the state, what makes you think you'll stand out amongst graduates from tier 1 law schools in state?
          -Lastly, you could put off BOLC if you wanted, but you are doing yourself, your unit, and your state a disservice by hanging around non-qualified as long as you can.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time about going to law school, but it's a shitty market right now and I hate seeing people spend a lot of time and money getting degrees that aren't particularly valuable. As a unit commander, I'm also pretty adamant about junior officers making a commitment to get all the training they need as quickly as they possibly can in order to be useful to me, the company, and the State.

Comment

You also could not do JAG via OCS. Don't know how realistic your timeframe for BOLC-B is though. Yes...you may have up to 2 years to complete your BOLC-B, but does a unit really want an unqualified 2LT sitting around for 2 years? Especially in Aviation, you're useless if you aren't branch qualified.

You should take that into consideration.

Oh that, and it's pretty hard to line up AVN through OCS in the Guard. It can be done, but you have to do a lot of footwork yourself. It definitely won't just be a "choice" on some sheet you fill out and voila you get Aviation.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
              You also could not do JAG via OCS. Don't know how realistic your timeframe for BOLC-B is though. Yes...you may have up to 2 years to complete your BOLC-B, but does a unit really want an unqualified 2LT sitting around for 2 years? Especially in Aviation, you're useless if you aren't branch qualified.

You should take that into consideration.

Oh that, and it's pretty hard to line up AVN through OCS in the Guard. It can be done, but you have to do a lot of footwork yourself. It definitely won't just be a "choice" on some sheet you fill out and voila you get Aviation.
              How do I line up an AVN slot then? I've heard mixed things so far, some saying to put off law school for a year, others say it won't be a problem. I guess it largely depends on how much the guard is willing to work with me?

Comment

I don't know about that. There are tons of guard O grades down here that made 1LT long before they got to start flight school. Just because you get AVN doesn't mean they currently have a flight school slot available for you. Some states won't lock you in until you're actually commissioned, and by then they'll often have all of their slots filled for the next year or so.

@OP, if you get into aviation, flight school slots are very limited. You may end up waiting well over a year after you commission, or you may get sent a month or two after you commission. You're probably not going to have a whole lot of say in when you get sent. Once they find you a slot, your going and that's pretty much that. Flight school will take up AT LEAST a year.
                Last edited by ack202; February 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilotango View Post
                  How do I line up an AVN slot then? I've heard mixed things so far, some saying to put off law school for a year, others say it won't be a problem. I guess it largely depends on how much the guard is willing to work with me?
                  Some states it is as easy as going out and enlisting 09S right into that unit and getting a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from the commander saying they will take you upon commission. Others, you compete with your peers (OCS and ROTC alike) to see if you can get a slot, and others they may not even give you a choice and your state may plop you into whatever branch they need you in.

Each state is different. Your Officer Strength Manager will, or at least should, know the low-down.

But yes to echo ack202, you could sit on the bubble for flight school for a long time and that will largely be out of your control.

Comment

I had a classmate branch Aviation and she had a slot lined up right after graduation. Left within 3 weeks and was gone 14 months. She already had a private fixed wings license, graduated top of the class and went through flight school just about as fast as you can (very little breaks between the major portions of school, some can wait 4 to 6 wks between units, hers was no more than 2wks).

On the same note, another guy graduated the year before us and was still waiting on a flight slot. Wasn't promotable and didn't really network much to get into flight school, but graduated top of the class and that was his first choice. So he sat around drill after drill, doing whatever task was given to him. He was the PT officer for a while for the guys who couldn't pass the PT test, he did inventory every drill and basically any other task that his highers could come up with. It wasn't a fun place to be for nearly 2 years and by the end of it his attitude kind of stunk and those in his chain of command had a low opinion of him. Not the way you want to start off your officer career.

Sometimes, you can't help how long it takes to get to BOLC, and the CoC understands that. But if you can go and your just putting it off, they don't like it. BOLC isn't going to teach you everything you need to know about your MOS (though flight school is different than most), but it will teach you the basics and allow you to talk and understand the fundamentals of your job while you get spun up on the details.

Comment

Article against going to law school:
                      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tucker...b_2713943.html

Say what you will about Tucker Max, it's hard to argue against what he's saying.

Comment

collk22, thanks for that article, I got a pretty good laugh out of it. He speaks the truth though, I'l give him that. The only reason I'm still considering it is because I've spent the last year doing legal research for my state representative and I love it. Plus I can go down the road to UNC for next to nothing, the debt shouldn't be a huge issue. Those factors are the only reason I'm still considering it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                          Honestly, it's not going to work like that. Your BOLC dates are dependent on slots available, and you'll have to get with your branch manager about those. As far as putting it off... Good luck finding a unit that's willing to take a 2LT that isn't interested in going to BOLC for two years. You're what they call "non-branch qualified." Your CO and 1SG will refer to you as a "useless Lieutenant." Don't be that guy. Joining the NG, you're going to figure out that everything else you do in your life needs to be scheduled around the Guard. It's a hard truth, but it's the truth. May just want to wait until you finish law school to begin. It's not like OCS is going to be a cake-walk, either. I'm not sure how feasible it is to attend OCS while in Law School...
                          Except....the unit doesn't know that until the 2LT has arrived at the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                            Article against going to law school:
                            http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tucker...b_2713943.html

Say what you will about Tucker Max, it's hard to argue against what he's saying.
                            I believe anybody that graduated Duke Law School while spending his semesters partying in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                              Except....the unit doesn't know that until the 2LT has arrived at the unit.
                              Do they not do LOA interviews with the CO and 1SG anymore? I had presumed the OP would be honest if asked.

Comment

Working...
                              X