Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do ASVAB scores matter when you commission through ROTC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do ASVAB scores matter when you commission through ROTC?

It's a early to start considering Branches, but I like to think ahead and plan.

When I get back from Basic, I'll take the ACT's and try to get into ROTC. When I commission, I want either Infantry Officer or Military Intel Officer. I didn't make enough to get Military Intel as my MOS. But would that matter when picking your commission Branch?

Also, when I get to 1LT, I want to try to switch to Special Forces Officer. Which would help my career?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Do ASVAB scores matter when you commission through ROTC?

Going a little outside my AO and I expect SFHunter will be by shortly to confirm my thoughts or kick me in the ass. However, you will not get an MOS you are not qualified for. If you did not qualify for Intel as an enlisted soldier why would they make you an officer in charge of those guys? I also think that if SF is the route you want to go then Infantry, it is more of a "direct pipeline"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
      It's a early to start considering Branches, but I like to think ahead and plan.

When I get back from Basic, I'll take the ACT's and try to get into ROTC. When I commission, I want either Infantry Officer or Military Intel Officer. I didn't make enough to get Military Intel as my MOS. But would that matter when picking your commission Branch?

Also, when I get to 1LT, I want to try to switch to Special Forces Officer. Which would help my career?

Thanks in advance.
      Wait, so let me get this straight. You have not even been to BCT yet and you're thinking about 18A?

Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
      Going a little outside my AO and I expect SFHunter will be by shortly to confirm my thoughts or kick me in the ass. However, you will not get an MOS you are not qualified for. If you did not qualify for Intel as an enlisted soldier why would they make you an officer in charge of those guys? I also think that if SF is the route you want to go then Infantry, it is more of a "direct pipeline"
      That is not necessarily true.

....however, as long as someone can run a 18:00 3 mile, they can be anything they want.
      Last edited by Polo08816; February 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
        The irony here is that, as far as I know, ROTC cadets do not even have to take the ASVAB. Even if they have taken it, I am almost positive that their scores are not considered for commissioning/branching. On the OCS side, you need a minimum of a 110 GT score but that's just for commissioning in general, and there are no branch-specific ASVAB score requirements. So, in theory, he could have failed to achieve the minimum score for an enlisted intelligence MOS and then eventually branch Intel after commissioning through ROTC. It doesn't make any sense, but...yeah.

The general wisdom with regard to becoming an SF officer is that the greater your familiarity with small unit tactics and patrolling, the better. For that reason, Infantry is a good choice of branch if one's eventual goal is SF.

Then again, if he hasn't even been to BCT yet, he should focus his energy on preparing for that. He's at least six (more likely seven or eight) years away from entering the pipeline to become an SF officer.

Comment

Lt's thanks for the info, all I have to say is: ......yea sounds like a winning selection method.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Wait, so let me get this straight. You have not even been to BCT yet and you're thinking about 18A?

That is not necessarily true.

....however, as long as someone can run a 18:00 3 mile, they can be anything they want.
            Everyone has goals, don't they, LT? Better to push myself through Basic and work towards it, then to decide to do it my senior year of ROTC and not be prepared.
            Having high goals like that are my motivation to push myself. To become that. 2 years ago, I was going to join Active as an Option 40. Didn't think I could make it so I off my butt and lost 90 lbs. I had never done a push-up or sit-up in my life, but I wanted it bad. I can only do 20 push-ups, but I can max at about 60 sit-ups in less than two minutes. My run time isn't great either, but Camp Robinson and Benning will help me improve for sure. And with my goal, I'll push myself until I do.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
              The irony here is that, as far as I know, ROTC cadets do not even have to take the ASVAB. Even if they have taken it, I am almost positive that their scores are not considered for commissioning/branching. On the OCS side, you need a minimum of a 110 GT score but that's just for commissioning in general, and there are no branch-specific ASVAB score requirements. So, in theory, he could have failed to achieve the minimum score for an enlisted intelligence MOS and then eventually branch Intel after commissioning through ROTC. It doesn't make any sense, but...yeah.

The general wisdom with regard to becoming an SF officer is that the greater your familiarity with small unit tactics and patrolling, the better. For that reason, Infantry is a good choice of branch if one's eventual goal is SF.

Then again, if he hasn't even been to BCT yet, he should focus his energy on preparing for that. He's at least six (more likely seven or eight) years away from entering the pipeline to become an SF officer.
              Thanks, LT. I didn't think my scores had an effect on my commission, but I'd to re-take it just for the record after a little college. And as I figured, Infantry Officer would be the best. Especially since I'm an Infantryman. And I think my Unit are Infantry Scouts, so that might help.

Comment

Working...
              X