X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS?

I am enlisting next week, and the recruiter told me that I can apply to OCS as soon as I achieve 90 units. I wll be at 90 in the fall. I am skeptical, how likely is that? Plan on Medical since I am getting my BS in nursing, though he is pushing 15W, a drone operator. thanks

Re: OCS?

I think states can make their own determination, but the National Guard Regulation 600-100 states you must have at least 60 credit hours to enroll in OCS but at least 90 to commission. This applies for the Traditional Program though.

Given the Traditional program spans at least a year (12-15 months), one could enroll with less than 90 and have the 90 by the time you're done with the program. If you're already going to have 90 by the fall then you're close. You've already missed the boat for this year's program though (unless you are prior service), since you'll have to go to 9 week BCT before OCS and the Traditional programs typically start in April timeframe.

Medical is not a basic branch though and you can't get that through OCS. There are special Medical recruiters and that has it's entirely own process, and even so that's often done as Direct Commission.

Comment

Close on the info there OC, but not quite.

Medical branch can be gained out of OCS/ROTC upon commissioning, but it would be the admin side (ie- Medical Services), not the actual nursing/doctor side.

Another thing to think about there OP, is that if you choose any MOS that is not 09S, you are going to have to do BCT and AIT back to back. Which means the likely-hood of getting back home for Fall semester at this point is going to be difficult at best. 15W is a nifty MOS to have (and you get a set of aviator bling for your ASUs), but the school is also 23 weeks long. That will definately hurt your OCS plan for Fall 13/Spring 14.

You can enroll in OCS with 60 hours. If that is what you want to do for good, I'd go 09S and call it good. It'll get you a guaranteed slot in your State's OCS program.

** disclaimer - some states have a board or interview process for OCS, even if you were a 09S. Texas did not. Seek out the OSM for further guidance

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
        (and you get a set of aviator bling for your ASUs)
        Don't forget the triple-platinum double star for heroic joystick operations

Comment

^This is why we need a like button. For comments that go above and beyond the normal computer screen operator.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Went to MEP's, everything went fine until I found they were only ready to speak of the 15w MOS. My recrutier "doesn't remember" me stating that I wanted to know alternatives. They stood firm on my inability to pick O9S until I have 90 units. So I am waiting for him to send me alternatives in my general area of So Cal, and hoping that there is a need for 68W. I am confident it will work out.

Comment

Originally posted by edog1992 View Post
              I am enlisting next week, and the recruiter told me that I can apply to OCS as soon as I achieve 90 units. I wll be at 90 in the fall. I am skeptical, how likely is that? Plan on Medical since I am getting my BS in nursing, though he is pushing 15W, a drone operator. thanks
              What is your goal for service? If you want to serve in Army Nurse Corps, then OCS is not required. If you want to serve as a basic branch officer in the Guard while working as a civilian nurse, then you will need to complete OCS.

Comment

My original intent was to serve as a Branch Officer, and like the idea of OCS. Since we haven't been able to move forward with that, would be content to enlist and take commision upon my graduation. It seems that it would be more efficient (and honest) to move forward to OCS now, instead of enlisting with an intent to leave after 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                X