X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS & Career Progression

I'm a Reserve Marine Staff Sergeant & I've been looking into the National Guard OCS.

My questions are:

What can I expect from the year long, once a month OCS?
    What training comes after OCS completion?
    Is there a website w/ that information?

Which field(s) have the highest ceilings?
    Which field(s) are the easiest to transfer from one state to another?

Thanks for your help.

Semper Fidelis

Re: OCS & Career Progression

Originally posted by Leatherneck03 View Post
    I'm a Reserve Marine Staff Sergeant & I've been looking into the National Guard OCS.

My questions are:

What can I expect from the year long, once a month OCS? Losing about 15 IQ points.
    What training comes after OCS completion? Basic Officer's Leader's Course
    Is there a website w/ that information? forums, ATTRS, HRC, etc. .... Google.

Which field(s) have the highest ceilings? Depends on state, but probably Infantry overall. Although high ceiling does not necessarily mean fast promotion
    Which field(s) are the easiest to transfer from one state to another? Probably a logistical branch.

Thanks for your help.

Semper Fidelis
    Unless, you must remain in a particular state or desire to serve in a combat arms branch, consider the USAR as well.

Comment

Re: OCS & Career Progression

You can expect a combination of getting smoked and academics. there are several subjects covered and your state will determine how that is. In NJ no class took longer than 2 hours (even those with 100 + sldies) and nobody failed a single test. It was spoon fed to us. I know for a fact in DE its not the same and people failed academics.

Stuff like Army logistics, military intelligence, army writing, map reading, etc. lots and lots of classes.

Your first annual training will be a smoke fest for two weeks and you'll do Land navigation, five mile ruck march and some classes.

One year of drills will be primarily classes and a 7 & 10 mile ruck march. It will also be a lot of physical stuff

Second annual training will be leadership lanes. they give you a mission and as long as you use the 8 troop leading procedures and deliver your plan with the 5 paragraph OPORD you wont have problem unless it's way, way, way ridiculous.

The other stuff like CWST and things like that I dont really consider worth mentioning because you are required to "attempt" them.

During OCS you'll get branched, usually based on merit list. Then you'll report to your unit after commissioning. They'll set a date for you to go off to your Basic Officer Leaders Course (think AIT for officers ie, learning your actual job), which are typically between 4-6 months long.

Comment

Working...
      X