X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer questions

Ill be going to college around this time next year after OSUT training. My plan is to go to a university while taking the ROTC route and hopefully if all goes well, commission after I graduate. Some questions I have are is there a certain number of active duty years I have to serve? I really want to go active duty if I could for a while! Being an active duty officer will I have to live on base? I plan to have a whole military career until I'm unable to do it anymore. Is there a limit of the number of years I can serve? Will being an officer right out of school pay well? Thanks for any answers! It is greatly appreciated!

Re: Officer questions

I'm sure there are members on here that can give you first hand experience on going Active Duty after ROTC. What I can tell you, is that if you go Active Duty, you would indeed live on a base and have all the benefits all other AD Soldiers have. I believe your service contract will likely be 6 to 8 years, but I would get this verified being that you are going in as an Officer. Service time is a different beast for commissioned Soldiers. As far as pay goes, you can find pay charts online to get an idea of what your base pay will be. Here's the National Guard one, but being AD, you'll have other benefits that will affect your final pay check.

Hopefully this is helpful! Good luck.

EDIT: I do want to preface my comment on living arrangements that there may be a possibility to live off base as well. You'll just have to find out what the requirements are for the base you will be assigned to.
    Last edited by RyCass; February 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      I'm sure there are members on here that can give you first hand experience on going Active Duty after ROTC. What I can tell you, is that if you go Active Duty, you would indeed live on a base and have all the benefits all other AD Soldiers have. I believe your service contract will likely be 6 to 8 years, but I would get this verified being that you are going in as an Officer. Service time is a different beast for commissioned Soldiers. As far as pay goes, you can find pay charts online to get an idea of what your base pay will be. Here's the National Guard one, but being AD, you'll have other benefits that will affect your final pay check.

Hopefully this is helpful! Good luck.

EDIT: I do want to preface my comment on living arrangements that there may be a possibility to live off base as well. You'll just have to find out what the requirements are for the base you will be assigned to.
      As an officer, he would most likely live off base. I know the vast majority of my IBOLC class now live off base as junior officers.

Also, the obligation depends on many factors such as but not limited to scholarships, ADSO for duty station and/or branch, etc. The minimum obligation that I've heard of is 3 years.

Comment

I signed a contract for 8 years this past June, by the time I graduate college ill be in my 5th year or so. Do I have to finish that contract before I commission as an officer after ROTC?

Comment

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
          I signed a contract for 8 years this past June, by the time I graduate college ill be in my 5th year or so. Do I have to finish that contract before I commission as an officer after ROTC?
          No; your commission obligation will replace your enlistment contract.

Comment

To add to the questions: After ROTC, do you have to commission? And if not, what are the consequences (besides not being an Officer)?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
              To add to the questions: After ROTC, do you have to commission? And if not, what are the consequences (besides not being an Officer)?
              You must fulfill the service obligation of your ROTC contract, which you could do in an enlisted capacity.

Comment

Working...
              X