Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

    First off, I am a Senior about to graduate in May, getting my bachelors degree. I plan on enlisting within a few weeks in the Guard. I also plan on going to Basic Training about a week after I graduate, around May 12th or so, so that I can be done around the first week in August. I want to go to Grad school so i didnt want to miss any classes if I go this fall.

    Since im considering becoming a officer I want to do the Accelerated (55day) OCS next summer in 2014, then Bolc-B the following summer in 2015. Hopefully being done becoming a officer around the same time i get my Masters.

    I was wondering if anyone sees any problems with this, meaning would i be able to just do everything in a summers time.
    Also where can I find out how long my Bolc-B potentially could be, because i dont want to miss school. I know about this https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/search.aspx site, but when i search for Officer AOC courses, some of them are like 2 weeks, and i dont think thats a right description on how long i will be gone.

    I know this post is kind of everywhere, but im looking for more information about Bolc-B lengths and jobs. I dont want to be away from my family, girlfriend and possibly grad school for too long, meaning more than 10 or so weeks in the summer.

    Anyone have any thoughts or answers?

  • #2
    Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

    You're being very optimistic with your timeline. While you may get BCT in the summer (if you wait too long, the seats will be all booked), you're probably going to attend the traditional version of OCS and you might get BOLC during the summer without missing any classes.

    The reason your search isn't working in ATTRS is OCS is broken up into Phases and candidates are input and approved for each phase.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

      Why do you say I'll prob attend the traditional OCS? Does the accelerated one fill up fast? I hope i can get into BOLC within just a summers time, I wish i could find out the lengths and times of BOLC so that I can have a good idea on how long ill be gone and what I should do.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

        Originally posted by Wadeterr View Post
        I dont want to be away from my family, girlfriend and possibly grad school for too long, meaning more than 10 or so weeks in the summer.

        Anyone have any thoughts or answers?
        I think it's time for a little reality check here...I started with a similar mindset when I was enlisting, but have quickly learned that once you sign the dotted line, you work for the Army, not the other way around. Expecting the best case scenario that tailors to you schedule is very unlikely. You may be able to select your BCT date---my liaison at MEPS pulled up available dates on the screen and let me select the one I wanted---but after that, you have little say. If your state will guarantee you a Federal OCS slot, you can bang out your training in 22 weeks (10 weeks BCT + 12 weeks OCS) then start grad school, but your BOLC date will be completely up in the air. Many states simply do not send candidates to Fed OCS, though.

        BLUF, you will have to make significant sacrifices to become an officer. If you're not a place in your life where you're prepared to do this, I would put it off until you're committed 100 percent.

        As for BOLC lengths, do a Google search. Armyocs.com also has very specific information about each branch's BOLC.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

          Do your future commander a favor and go to BOLC-B as quickly as possible.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

            Originally posted by Wadeterr View Post
            First off, I am a Senior about to graduate in May, getting my bachelors degree. I plan on enlisting within a few weeks in the Guard. I also plan on going to Basic Training about a week after I graduate, around May 12th or so, so that I can be done around the first week in August. I want to go to Grad school so i didnt want to miss any classes if I go this fall.

            Since im considering becoming a officer I want to do the Accelerated (55day) OCS next summer in 2014, then Bolc-B the following summer in 2015. Hopefully being done becoming a officer around the same time i get my Masters.

            I was wondering if anyone sees any problems with this, meaning would i be able to just do everything in a summers time.
            Also where can I find out how long my Bolc-B potentially could be, because i dont want to miss school. I know about this https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/search.aspx site, but when i search for Officer AOC courses, some of them are like 2 weeks, and i dont think thats a right description on how long i will be gone.

            I know this post is kind of everywhere, but im looking for more information about Bolc-B lengths and jobs. I dont want to be away from my family, girlfriend and possibly grad school for too long, meaning more than 10 or so weeks in the summer.

            Anyone have any thoughts or answers?
            I'll agree with what's alredy been said, and then add this.

            Fed OCS probably won't happen. To add on, most states won't just send non-prior service 09S candidate to AOCS. Not saying they don't, it's just not a guarantee. Be fully prepared to accept that and be ready to move out into the 12-15 month Traditional Program.

            If you let everyone know what state you're in, you may get some more specific guidance if someone here has insight in to how that particular state leans on OCS routes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

              Summer BOLC can be very hard to get. West Point and ROTC graduate a bunch of wide eyed 2LTs during
              this time. It is a lot easier for the Army to have you sitting on the bench for a few months non-branch qualified
              than it is for the Active Component.
              It seemed like most all of my class at OCS (we pinned in a Sept) did not attend BOLC until the following Spring, skipped
              summer, then during the fall/winter.

              Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

              One word of advice - I am pegging you as a ~22 year old. BE FLEXIBLE. You are getting WWAAAYYY to specific
              with your wants/needs/timelines. We all want to be at home with our kids/girlfriends/gold fish/wives. I've seen
              too many National Guardsmen/women do this. They are the first to get flustered when Uncle Sam's timeline does
              not coexist with their own.
              The Guard tends to be at the bottom of the financial food chain. You will see people get their BOLC slots pushed
              back, LTs get offered hooah schools like Ranger, then have it disappear. I was going to go to a safety officer course.
              Did a bunch of CBTs, mapped out my plan with my civilian employer, got the child care stuff taken care of, then the
              State told me "we aren't paying for that training for M-day soldiers right now". It's gonna happen. Be flexible.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                Well I have no problem doing the traditional OCS, its just the 1-weekend a month, 2 weeks a year type thing right? So technically I can still be in school for that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                  My main concern is missing class for BOLC, I have been doing google searches and havent been able to find at least a estimate on how long I might be gon for each branch. If i start my BOLC during the summer (not this summer) lets say when the spring semester ends on May 5th. That would give me maybe 3 and a half months for BOLC, shouldn't that be enough time? And I know it depends on what branch you choose, but I havent been able to find out the lengths.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                    Originally posted by Wadeterr View Post
                    My main concern is missing class for BOLC, I have been doing google searches and havent been able to find at least a estimate on how long I might be gon for each branch. If i start my BOLC during the summer (not this summer) lets say when the spring semester ends on May 5th. That would give me maybe 3 and a half months for BOLC, shouldn't that be enough time? And I know it depends on what branch you choose, but I havent been able to find out the lengths.
                    Expect to be 5-6 months. You probably won't go over 6 months as then the Army owes you a PCS move (it's a money thing). Also, you may not get the option of doing it in the summer. You may have to take what ever class they can get you into.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                      oh ok....How long did it take you for your BOLC and what branch?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                        Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                        Do your future commander a favor and go to BOLC-B as quickly as possible.
                        Except... he should do himself a favor and do what works for him. Only an idiot would go to a BOLC-B that would cost him two full semesters just to satisfy his commander's numbers when you could just wait another year to fit it into a summer. Going later usually means there are more slots available than going sooner.

                        Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        Expect to be 5-6 months. You probably won't go over 6 months as then the Army owes you a PCS move (it's a money thing). Also, you may not get the option of doing it in the summer. You may have to take what ever class they can get you into.
                        For IBOLC, it was 16 weeks. The concern with summer BOLCs is always the fact that newly commissioned LTs from ROTC will be flooding those classes. If you try to get an ATTRS reservation 1 year out for BOLC, it might be easier.

                        TDY > PCS for me at least. You are able to get housing as well as BAH for TDY.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                          FABOLC is 18.5 weeks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                            Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            Except... he should do himself a favor and do what works for him. Only an idiot would go to a BOLC-B that would cost him two full semesters just to satisfy his commander's numbers when you could just wait another year to fit it into a summer. Going later usually means there are more slots available than going sooner.
                            You know as well as I do with the backlog for schools right now that going "as quickly as possible" and working around school are not mutually exclusive. The earliest any of my LTs were able to get BOLC was 6 months after commissioning. A non-branch qualified LT is worth little more than a cadet and the platoon and company suffer as a result.

                            It may seem ludicrous to you now, but when you're trying to build a DMD and only have 2 branch qualified LTs in the unit I'm confident you'll feel differently.

                            What I think we can all agree on, is that this dude's timeline isn't realistic.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Considering becoming a officer, with just a few questions

                              I was able to get to BOLC fairly quickly (commissioned in August '11, was at Fort Sill in November). Some of my OCS classmates, though, are just now starting BOLC. You have to be proactive and work with your gaining unit to start the process as soon as you can.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X