Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlistment with intent to apply for OCS, or 09S?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enlistment with intent to apply for OCS, or 09S?

Originally posted by DrugFree906 View Post
    Thank you all very much. Your input is so incredibly valuable to me right now.

What I'm hearing is that prior enlisted service has little to no bearing on a new 2LTs ability to lead.

Can anyone shed some light on the hands on nature of a 2LTs work in a combat arms MOS? I know that an officer's principal charge is leadership, but are junior officers still in the field doing work with the troops? I think bottom line, I'm not ready to serve from behind a desk yet. I want to lead but I also want to be outside the wire so to speak.

Again, thank you all very much. I really appreciate your input.

Very respectfully,

Nate
    In combat arms, the only rule for where you are and what you are doing as a leader is that you need to position yourself where you can best control your assets. If you're running platoon-level missions, the platoon leader is going to be with the platoon by definition. If you're running squad-level missions, the platoon leader may or may not be directly involved with the execution of individual patrols -- that's his call.
    Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; January 31st, 2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: a / an

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
      In combat arms, the only rule for where you are and what you are doing as an leader is that you need to position yourself where you can best control your assets. If you're running platoon-level missions, the platoon leader is going to be with the platoon by definition. If you're running squad-level missions, the platoon leader may or may not be directly involved with the execution of individual patrols -- that's his call.
      ...you mean what I was taught in OCS isn't actually applicable to real life? You mean that I'm NOT supposed to just stand up and yell, "Follow me!" as I tell my platoon to bum rush a linear danger area?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        ...you mean what I was taught in OCS isn't actually applicable to real life? You mean that I'm NOT supposed to just stand up and yell, "Follow me!" as I tell my platoon to bum rush a linear danger area?
        Lol!

Combat arms officers have fun in the field from O1-O2. My PL is an O2. After that they start to spend more and more time behind a desk and away from the fight. I'm convinced that E-6 squad leader in a line company is the most fun position there is. So again OP enlisted time won't hurt and it can give a good perspective, but if your end goal is officer then go officer from the start. Unless you have a desire to be an NCO just because. As a brand new O1 you will want to lean on and learn from the PSG and your squad leaders. Unless they are shitty NCO's, then learn from them what not to do.

Comment

What I'm hearing is that prior enlisted service has little to no bearing on a new 2LTs ability to lead.
          In the very short term, it may give you an advantage as you know some of the terms and have some understanding of the system works. Long term, it won't give you any advantage.

Can anyone shed some light on the hands on nature of a 2LTs work in a combat arms MOS? I know that an officer's principal charge is leadership, but are junior officers still in the field doing work with the troops? I think bottom line, I'm not ready to serve from behind a desk yet. I want to lead but I also want to be outside the wire so to speak.
          IMHO, a PL is far more then just running around the woods. You need to know what's going on with your troops. You need to be able to account for everyone of your Soldier's issues (Dental, medical, can't pass APFT or Ht/Wt., NCOES) and what you're doing about it. You should know more then your commander does. Your commander should not surprise you with something about one of your Soldiers nor should your commander know more about your Soldiers then you do.

Know where your equipment and make sure you're doing hand receipts correctly. This is something that the NG/USAR is very poor about but it's a very good habit to get into, especially when you get into command time.

"What's important to my boss, is important to me". What's your commander priorities and how are you going to support them?

If your commander gives you some leeway in training be creative. I had a PL take and do a platoon run on a river trail for morning PT instead of what the rest of the company did. Learn to incorporate more training then just what's on the training schedule. Range weekend, try to get some Warrior Tasks incorporated.

Be involved. I know it sounds obvious but I've seen leadership, to include commanders, who won't call into teleconferences or do anything extra outside drill weekend. By drill weekend, it's too late for you to do anything.

Stay up on professional development. Enroll into the CCC around the 1LT time frame. Keep up on current doctrine or read books.

Comment

Working...
          X