X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09S training timeline questions...

I have searched the forum and can not find an answer to my question. I have a bachelors' degree and would like to enlist as an 09S and eventually branch infantry in either massachusetts or new hampshire. What is the length of time I would be away from home, work, etc? I saw that basic is 8 weeks, accelerated OCS is 8 weeks, infantry bolc is 8 weeks, am I on the right track with the lengths for each portion? If there are any infantry officers reading this, I would really appreciate any insight or possible mentoring, this is something I really want. Thank you!

Re: 09S training timeline questions...

Depends on how long you sit around. I enlisted in February, shipped to basic in June, went directly from there to federal OCS in August, graduated there in November..

So I was gone from June to November. That being said, I didn't do accelerated OCS in either of the states you mentioned, so our times may vary.

Infantry officers school is just under over threes months.

Basic is also about 10 weeks. Accelerated doesn't take into account the lag time between classes starting, etc. lots of variables come into play.

Comment

Federal OCS, which I'm at now, is 12 weeks. I'm not sure if NH or MA sends 09S to the Federal program---I know there aren't any here from either state now---but I would really try to go this way, if your goal to commission as soon as possible. With FOCS, you're guaranteed to go to BCT --> OCS consecutively. With the traditional or accelerated program, you'll have a delay between Basic and OCS. Also, IBOLC is 16 weeks, not 8. So, going this route, at a minimum, you'll be out of work for 38 weeks until you're branch qualified (10 weeks BCT + 12 weeks FOCS + 16 weeks IBOLC). Also, be aware that your state may not guarantee you a particular branch when you enlist, so your BOLC length will vary depending on what branch you get.

Comment

I enlisted as an 09S for the MA Army National Guard in December and will be shipping to basic next week. From what I understand, unless you provide a really good reason to the selection board, most non-prior service candidates will be assigned a slot in the Traditional program as opposed to Accelerated or Federal. They didn't even mention Federal OCS when I asked about my options. Let me know in a PM or on this thread if you have other questions about the process, since it's pretty fresh in my head.

Comment

Hello,

I am going through the Mass. Nat. Guard and I was told that they only offer Accelerated and Traditional OCS. The federal is not option. If anyone is going through please correct me if you know something different... Hope this helps... And before I forget accelerated is only given twice a year in June and January I think..

Comment

Each state works a little bit differently, so your experience will differ than someone from Texas, like me. Texas doesn't send many, if any, people to Federal OCS, and they were pretty selective of who they sent to Accellerated. If you weren't prior service with a 270+ PT score, you were doing Traditional. Traditional will be 18 months of drilling (3 pre-OCS Phase 0 drills in March-May, then July-July) with two 2-week AT periods (June and the following July is how ours worked).

Most BOLC courses are 3-5 months. FABOLC is 18.5 weeks. I think IBOLC is 16 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by vandlvandl View Post
              I have searched the forum and can not find an answer to my question. I have a bachelors' degree and would like to enlist as an 09S and eventually branch infantry in either massachusetts or new hampshire. What is the length of time I would be away from home, work, etc? I saw that basic is 8 weeks, accelerated OCS is 8 weeks, infantry bolc is 8 weeks, am I on the right track with the lengths for each portion? If there are any infantry officers reading this, I would really appreciate any insight or possible mentoring, this is something I really want. Thank you!
              Basic Combat Training (BCT) is going to be more around the 9-10 week mark, because you will have at least 1 week at the Reception Battalion (RCBN). Depends on the time of year you go. I was there over ther Christmas holiday (Oct-Jan) so we had the Christmas Exodus break up our time. BCT will be over before you know it, then it all depends on what time you come out of there when you fall in on your state's OCS training pipeline.

If you're not prior service, there are no guarantees you'll get to do the 8 week Accelerated program. You may end up in the 12-15 month Traditional program that usually consists of normal Inactive Duty Training (IDT) drills March-May that are considered Pre/Zero Phase, 2 weeks of Annual Training (AT) for Phase 1 in June/July, 12 IDT drills for Phase II, then a culminating 2 week AT for Phase III the following July/August.

If you make it that far, you'll then go to your assigned unit and sit around until you can get your BOLC B slot (it's not automatic and all depends on timing an availability). My state's prior OCS class that just graduated back in August 2012 is spread out depending on branches. Some of the LTs went to BOLC right away, some are still waiting around for their dates.
              Last edited by eqmcclure; January 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

To add to OC McClure's notes about BOLC. My class graduated in August 2011, and there are still people in the class who haven't finished BOLC. You have to be very proactive with your gaining unit to get your BOLC scheduled.

Comment

Working...
                X