Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill & Ceremony @ AOCS

Question:

I am an 09S currently enrolled in 2013 AOCS in AL. How important is DC? Obviously we will all gain direct leadership experience through squad and platoon leadership positions, but I am not sure how extensive our knowledge of basic DC is expected to be. For example, marching squads, etc. Also, what about preparation drills, etc., will we be leading these right off the bat? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Drill & Ceremony @ AOCS

D&C will make or break you. You will be miserable if you cannot move your formation and the TACs will just swarm all over you and your formation.

Know how the commands to move/stop your formation (platoon/company) both at quick/double time. Know where everyone stands in the formation (company commander, XO, 1SG, PL's, Platoon SGT, Guidon). By know, I mean how many steps in front/behind the formation they are. Know when the PL's take over in front of their platoons and replace the platoon sergeants. Know when the commander takes over from the 1SG and vice versa. Know the difference between fall out and dismissed. They have different meanings.

Know that something's aren't covered in the FM, like where does the commander walk when he takes over the company (does he walk around or the middle).

Know PRT and the proper commands to do PT in the morning. You might be able to get away with putting these on note cards.

Know some decent, easy cadences that everyone knows. Don't get all weird and sing stuff that nobody remembers or you'll sound un-motivated.

I know it sounds like a lot but this will make your trip from the class room to the chow hall a lot easier and quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      D&C will make or break you. You will be miserable if you cannot move your formation and the TACs will just swarm all over you and your formation.

Know how the commands to move/stop your formation (platoon/company) both at quick/double time. Know where everyone stands in the formation (company commander, XO, 1SG, PL's, Platoon SGT, Guidon). By know, I mean how many steps in front/behind the formation they are. Know when the PL's take over in front of their platoons and replace the platoon sergeants. Know when the commander takes over from the 1SG and vice versa. Know the difference between fall out and dismissed. They have different meanings.

Know that something's aren't covered in the FM, like where does the commander walk when he takes over the company (does he walk around or the middle).

Know PRT and the proper commands to do PT in the morning. You might be able to get away with putting these on note cards.

Know some decent, easy cadences that everyone knows. Don't get all weird and sing stuff that nobody remembers or you'll sound un-motivated.

I know it sounds like a lot but this will make your trip from the class room to the chow hall a lot easier and quicker.
      Thank you for the detailed response. I was afraid of this! DC has been pretty important in our pre OCS drill, I guess I had been hoping that down at AOCS it would somehow be different. Lol. As an 09S DC has been one of those shaky areas for me. But I certainly understand the importance of mastering this stuff prior to commissioning. Thanks again, I guess it's time to open up the old FM again!

Comment

To add to what the Captain has already said,
        There are some more difficult movements that you will be expected to know the day you get there, counter-column for example is the one that really gets candidates smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
          There are some more difficult movements that you will be expected to know the day you get there, counter-column for example is the one that really gets candidates smoked.
          Battle, I miss the days of obliques.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
            This is good to know. My old RSP unit would D&C us to the point of muscle memory.

Comment

I concur. Other than PT, D&C is perhaps the most significant opportunity to fail miserably. Not just executing, but leading! Practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Not meaning to drag up an old thread, but here it goes.
                I haven't gone through BCT yet, but I am told that once I finish BCT I will go to AOCS at the start of 2014.

That being said, where can I read up on, study, learn, Drill and Ceremony?

Comment

Everything in the Army has a regulation or manual that you can google.

http://bit.ly/12voF1S <---click me

https://rdl.train.army.mil/catalog/view/100.ATSC/36E2FF6E-6A92-4FCE-A25F-09B684EEAA3C-1327075372265/toc.htm
                  <---And you will get this

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                    Everything in the Army has a regulation or manual that you can google.

http://bit.ly/12voF1S <---click me

https://rdl.train.army.mil/catalog/view/100.ATSC/36E2FF6E-6A92-4FCE-A25F-09B684EEAA3C-1327075372265/toc.htm
                    <---And you will get this
                    Thanks Chief!

Comment

Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
                      Thanks Chief!
                      NP HS. But in the officer producing school; emphasis is not weighed heavily on D&C. We are not back in the Civil War days. D&C is primarily an NCO art. I remember when I was in PLDC (now WLC), we almost had a guy fail because he could not execute the D&C routine in which you had to bring the formation to attention and salute the flag and then properly go from highest to lowest (e.g. stand at-ease, parade rest, rest) and then march the formation executing various instructions (e.g. column/flank movements). The rest of us tried to help him out (for his second and last attempt) and it looked like the D&C scene in Stripes. BTW, he passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        NP HS. But in the officer producing school; emphasis is not weighed heavily on D&C.
                        With all due respect, this is not so. A candidate will almost definitely not be dropped for screwing up drill and ceremony but it will certainly attract unnecessary and unwanted attention from bored TAC officers. Candidates need to know how to move formations around before they arrive at phase 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
                          With all due respect, this is not so. A candidate will almost definitely not be dropped for screwing up drill and ceremony but it will certainly attract unnecessary and unwanted attention from bored TAC officers. Candidates need to know how to move formations around before they arrive at phase 1.
                          Nice new name LT lol.

But that is what I meant. In PLDC, you can be kicked out for not passing the D&C tests. In OCS (in which I attended up to phase II) and in WOCS; you will not get dropped for it but a TAC attack or possibly a SPOT or Yellow card gig.

Comment

It's definitely Officer-Producing school dependent....

OCS may care simply because it's an easy way to generate a blue card and to harp on discipline/attention to detail for candidates that the TACs see once a month. ROTC/USMA* could care less beyond what is necessary to run a BN formation for accountability and what not. Once you go to BOLC, again, the NCOs will go over the basics and beyond that, they don't care.

*There are, of course, always exceptions/instances where this is not correct, however, this is pulled from experience as the trainer/trainee.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                              It's definitely Officer-Producing school dependent....

OCS may care simply because it's an easy way to generate a blue card and to harp on discipline/attention to detail for candidates that the TACs see once a month. ROTC/USMA* could care less beyond what is necessary to run a BN formation for accountability and what not. Once you go to BOLC, again, the NCOs will go over the basics and beyond that, they don't care.

*There are, of course, always exceptions/instances where this is not correct, however, this is pulled from experience as the trainer/trainee.
                              Check. At FABOLC, we were told to route-step everywhere because "Officers don't lead formations."

Comment

Working...
                              X