Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling Before OCS, does RSP Apply to 09S?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling Before OCS, does RSP Apply to 09S?

Good Day,

Does RSP apply to 09S candidates?

I have read that some 09S candidates sign their contracts a year before OCS begins.

Is it possible to drill and earn retirement points before attending OCS?

This would also help train the candidate on basic tasks and drills before attending school since a lot of us have been out of the Army for a while or were never enlisted.

Thanks.

Re: Drilling Before OCS, does RSP Apply to 09S?

After enlisting as an 09S, you will attend monthly RSP-O drills that are meant to prepare you for OCS. It is typically during your RSP-O time that it will be decided which flavor of OCS you will be sent to (FedOCS, AOCS, or Traditional/State OCS).

Our RSP-O drills have been very helpful for me, having just come back into the Guard after a 10-year break. LandNav, drill & ceremony, PT, more landnav, classroom training... quite a bit of useful textbook & hands-on refreshers. Our program mandates that each Candidate prove his/her competence in key areas before they will be scheduled for OCS. Top of the list are: AFPT, 3-mile release run, 7-mile ruck march, classroom land nav, practical land nav day & night.

Comment

Thank you. Is that information available in a thread here? I didn't see any mention of RSP-O. How many times do I go to RSP-O before I ship to OCS? Once a month for 2-3 days? Is it on the drill weekend with everyone else or a separate weekend or alternate location? Are uniforms issued? Do I get to wear my SGT rank?
      Last edited by hustlin_moe20; January 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Not sure if this info is elsewhere on site, only speaking from personal experience. RSP-O drills consist of a handful of cadre and however many other Candidates are currently enlisted and waiting to begin OCS. For example, our group has 3 cadre and usually averages about 12 Candidates. You will be required to attend monthly RSP-O drills until you either ship to OCS or begin in-processing for OCS (Traditional OCS route). During this time you are assigned to RRBN as opposed to an actual unit, so you drill only with the cadre and other Candidates.The drills are scheduled like typical drill weekends, usually once a month on a Sat & Sun, 07:30 - 16:30 with an occasional Friday night as well. As prior service, your RRBN is responsible for your uniform and CIF issue, both of which are required for OCS. During drills, you wear the rank at which you enlisted. In your case, that would be SGT. Typically group leadership is assigned to different Candidates every month, so it is highly likely that you will spend some months "reporting to" E4's and E3's. Not a big deal. As for the # of RSP-O drills you will attend, it all depends upon when you enter the program as an 09S and when you begin OCS - and that is totally dependent upon what OCS route you get slotted for. For example, many Traditional OCS programs begin their in-processing around April of every year. So if you entered the 09S program in September, that's 6 or 7 RSP-O drills that you'd be attending. If you go for Federal OCS at Fort Benning, they begin new classes almost every month so you wait may be shorter.

Comment

Excellent information! Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I can see clearly now...

Comment

Hustle? Are you active trying to go Guard?

Comment

Hustle works but people call me Moe for the most part, ha ha. I'm PS trying to go Guard. I'm a contractor in Afghanistan.

Comment

Keep in mind it's state dependent, and it depends on what time of year. Your Recruiter/Officer Strength Manager (OSM) will have all of that info though.

In some instances you'll enlist straight into a unit, and the first time you'll ever really hear OCS is when you're attached to your state's Regional Training Institute (RTI) for Pre-Phase, aka Phase 0. Not every state has an RSP-O or equivalent.

While we don't have RSP-O in my state, we do have an OCS prepratory program where we were attached to the state Recruting and Retention Battalion (RRBN) just like OldGuardGuy mentioned. This was similar to how I've seen RSP-O described, but it's only held December-March and ends when Pre-Phase begins.

Comment

I spoke with my OSM today and he said Kansas does have RSP-O and it starts in March for the June OCS class. He's trying to get me to jump right in but I think that's too fast. I think I'll skip this class and join the next. I need to do some hardcore cross-fit at my CF gym for about 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by hustlin_moe20 View Post
                    I spoke with my OSM today and he said Kansas does have RSP-O and it starts in March for the June OCS class. He's trying to get me to jump right in but I think that's too fast. I think I'll skip this class and join the next. I need to do some hardcore cross-fit at my CF gym for about 6 months.
                    OCS is not that hard. That's not even necessary to smoke most of your peers at PT.

Comment

Why do I keep hearing that? "OCS is not that hard". "Adapt and you'll pass like BCT and AIT". "It's an Army school, how hard do you think it is?" I've heard it all lol

If it's not that hard, why do people fail? I'm really asking because some people try to strike the fear in you about not failing and the consequences if you do fail.

Comment

Why do I keep hearing that? "OCS is not that hard". "Adapt and you'll pass like BCT and AIT". "It's an Army school, how hard do you think it is?" I've heard it all lol

If it's not that hard, why do people fail? I'm really asking because some people try to strike the fear in you about not failing and the consequences if you do fail.
                        For the most part, it's because they suck at life.

Comment

On a more serious note, people most often fail because they don't want to be there or just can't. Most drops I've seen are from lack of motivation (they really hate coming and decided it wasn't for them) or physical injuries that prevent them from completing training. OCS is a mind-set. I mean there are probably a few that would fit more in to Polo's category who just can't get it right, but I think that's the smaller portion of drops.

You've got to want to be there, every time. If you go Accelerated, you can take it all in one big firehose of 8 weeks. If you're Traditional, like me, you've got to keep your drive going your one weekend a month for about 15 months and show up just as ready as the last time. That's what gets most people. They have a bad month at home, school, etc. and they show up not wanting to do it anymore. It is pretty tough dragging it out, but it's a mental thing.

Comment

My state didn't have RSP-O so I did regular RSP. Didnt learn much to prepare me for Federal OCS..

A lot of people got hurt in Fed OCS too. A lot didn't wanna be here. A lot got in trouble.

Comment

Who decides which version of OCS a candidate attends? I'm a well-disciplined combat troop, well I at least used to be. I'm sure I can handle the Accelerated program and I'd rather take that if given the choice or at least chance to demonstrate my skills to be chosen for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X