X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP/ ROTC Questions and Clarifications

Hello LTC. Ritchie, I had a couple of questions about SMP and ROTC. First off I'm planning on joining the Guard when i graduate from HS, and then going to college and ROTC once i get back from BCT and AIT. So my question is in order to do SMP, do i HAVE to be a soph in college? Or since i completed BCT+AIT and that qualifies for the first two years of ROTC can i do SMP as as a freshman in college? Also does completing BCT+AIT mean that i will be in the Advanced ROTC program when i start college? Any information on either of these subjects will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: SMP/ ROTC Questions and Clarifications

The "S" in SMP means simultaneous. That means that you must be an enlisted Guardsman and a contracted ROTC cadet (not merely someone participating in ROTC) at the same time. "Contracted" means that you have signed an ROTC contract, and the earliest that can happen is during the MSII (sophomore) year. All cadets contract in MSIII year. If you have completed Basic and AIT, you may start ROTC at the start of the MSIII year, although I recommend you to start earlier for your own professional development.

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefit...ership-program
    http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/ways-to-attend.html
    http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/enroll/enlisted.html

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help, anything new i learn to help with the confusion is a gift so i appreciate it. Could you go into depth a little about why you recommend not starting at the beginning of the MSIII year?

Comment

I'm planning on doing something similar, the main difference between me and OP is that ive completed 3.5 years of college and next semester I am taking off to do basic/ait. I plan on graduating two years after I resume classes next fall semester.

Comment

Originally posted by Mendez9tyfo View Post
          Thanks a lot for your help, anything new i learn to help with the confusion is a gift so i appreciate it. Could you go into depth a little about why you recommend not starting at the beginning of the MSIII year?
          The more exposure you have to the military, the better. You'll have the opportunity to interact with and learn from senior cadets who have already been trained on the basics of the orders process and troop leading procedures, which are not things you will learn as a junior enlisted soldier in most NG units. That's in addition to technical skills such as land navigation and personal fieldcraft, as well as morning PT sessions.

For the record, I did not commission through ROTC and I have never participated in any ROTC activities. However, I have friends who were ROTC instructors and I'm somewhat familiar with the program. Hopefully a recent ROTC/SMP graduate can provide some more perspective on this.

Comment

Per the LTC, I just finished the program in May and did a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff for the NG Liasion while I was there. By no means would I consider myself a SME, but I'll be happy to answer or take a good whack at any questions anyone may have.

Feel free to PM me or post something on the forum.

Comment

Working...
            X