Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the forum . . . and the Army for that matter.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum . . . and the Army for that matter.

F'N new guy checking in,

I am currently looking into Calif. National Guard OCS. I spent 6 years in the Air Force and I got out in 2007. I went back to school and finished my bachelors in 2011. I am currently 32 years old and I'm looking into OCS but I have a lot of questions . . .
    Last edited by NorCal; December 9th, 2012, 01:23 AM.

Re: New to the forum . . . and the Army for that matter.

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
    F'N new guy checking in,

I am currently looking into Calif. National Guard OCS. I spent 6 years in the Air Force and I got out in 2007. I went back to school and finished my bachelors in 2011. I am currently 32 years old and I'm looking into OCS but I have a lot of questions . . .
    Cool story, bro.

Comment

Go see or call your nearest NG recruiter.

Comment

I spent a few years attached to Army units but I'm not very well versed in the inner workings of getting a commission. How does the Army choose what MOS you get assigned too? Is it based on your degree field, prior military experience, or solely based on the needs of the Army? Another question I have is in regards to the length of the process? Does this vary by unit or is there a standard time frame which is more typical?

Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to have as much info as I can before contacting a recruiter. Call me old fashion, but I trust them just about as far as I can throw them, lol.
        Last edited by NorCal; December 10th, 2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
          I spent a few years attached to Army units but I'm not very well versed in the inner workings of getting a commission. How does the Army choose what MOS you get assigned too? Is it based on your degree field, prior military experience, or solely based on the needs of the Army? Another question I have is in regards to the length of the process? Does this vary by unit or is there a standard time frame which is more typical?

Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to have as much info as I can before contacting a recruiter. Call me old fashion, but I trust them just about as far as I can throw them, lol.
          Officer Branches are assessed based on needs of the Army/State. I think you can generally fill out a wishlist, but that's all it really is. Process to commission varies based on whether you attend a traditional OCS (18 months, I think) or one of the accelerated ones. So far your questions have been addressed ad nauseam in the forums. Use the search function.

Comment

Working...
          X