Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant vs Commissioned... advice? Opinions welcomed!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant vs Commissioned... advice? Opinions welcomed!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums but I enlisted as PFC in the Ohio National Guard back in June and my MOS is 15U (CH-47 Repairer). I'm an MS II in ROTC and a junior in college. Also, I leave for BCT in January and I will not return from AIT until late July. I've been looking at several different routes I can take for the Army and I cannot decide if I want to do it as a WO or CO. I want to be a pilot and yet I want to be a CO. My dilemma is that I am not in a competitive enough position to acquire an aviation slot through ROTC. It's coming down to crunch time for me and when I return from AIT I see myself with 3 options to choose from before school starts in mid August. Either I contract for ROTC and stick it out, wait until next summer and try for OCS or AOCS, or submit my warrant packet. Honestly, the way that I look at it is "pension vs. dream job". I may be biased on some of the facts so please correct me if any of this is wrong. Let me know what you guys think would be a good route to take

Re: Warrant vs Commissioned... advice? Opinions welcomed!

Couple of things to consider....

A) CO = more pay. Period.
    B) COs will only fly a short time (relatively) before they take command and fly a desk.
    C) What guarantees are there that you can get a WO aviation slot? Your aviation feeder MOS will give you a small advantage but you still have to look at who is needing/wanting you. Although college and experience in aviation will help a great deal... it's still super competative.

See http://www.goarmy.com/about/service-...-officers.html
    and http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1135846AASrSxW
    Last edited by TxIntel 1978; November 27th, 2012, 03:03 AM.

Comment

This probably a conversation you need to have with your unit and PMS.

Comment

You should of specified your post to solely aviation in regards to CO vs WO. Also, there have been individuals who started out as LTs, to later apply for the WO program and got accepted. Also, if you start a WO1 (street to seat) vs non-prior enlisted LT, the CO pay will beat WO but in my situation, I am making more than many CPTs and some Majors depending on their years of service. Plus, how many years you will have (20 versus 30) will make a difference in pension regardless of grade.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          You should of specified your post to solely aviation in regards to CO vs WO. Also, there have been individuals who started out as LTs, to later apply for the WO program and got accepted. Also, if you start a WO1 (street to seat) vs non-prior enlisted LT, the CO pay will beat WO but in my situation, I am making more than many CPTs and some Majors depending on their years of service. Plus, how many years you will have (20 versus 30) will make a difference in pension regardless of grade.
          Interesting. I had my doubts until I ran some numbers: http://militarypay.defense.gov/mpcal...ators/RMC.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Interesting. I had my doubts until I ran some numbers: http://militarypay.defense.gov/mpcal...ators/RMC.aspx
            Roger that. Or you can just look at the military pay tables and see how it goes. Shoot, at certain points, an E-9 makes more than junior officer at some points and it is rightly so.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far! But I guess I'm looking to be able to provide someday like every man does but I still would like a desirable job (pilot) as a WO or a CO. But if became either of the two would be able to go active and stay active?

Comment

Originally posted by bsaddor View Post
                Thanks for the feedback so far! But I guess I'm looking to be able to provide someday like every man does but I still would like a desirable job (pilot) as a WO or a CO. But if became either of the two would be able to go active and stay active?
                It is possible to go active duty from the NG/USAR but very difficult and will change from year to year. If AC is want you want, then work towards that goal.

Comment

Go warrant. Both enlisted and officers treat you really well.

Comment

Working...
                  X