Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Graduate/Graduate Degree---Seeking Information about the officer Program-

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Graduate/Graduate Degree---Seeking Information about the officer Program-

Hello To All-I apologize in Advance for writing errors, etc- I came off the night shift two hours ago & I work the night shift 12 to 14 hours a day and I'm now on my Off Day's!

I finally came across this Forum two days ago and let me just say Thank You---- It simply amazes me that so much can be offered and so little information is given when visiting recruiters. I'm 32 yrs old, Male, Production Manager and went through the tough knocks of the economy in 2008 of being laid off/finding a job and this hurt financially. My lay-off was lengthy but not warranted and it really put a huge puncture on my financial stability. But, I kept pushing and pushing! Never gave up!!

After being laid off, I simply went to a MBA program where I was living in the city and graduated. I see information on here about Student loans but all the key words simply throw me off because I've never been in the military and only a couple has served our country in my family. I'm a single guy, no kids and like several say on here "I've wanted to join the military my whole life" I should have after high-school, but I let relationships and stupidity stop me.

I know I'll never be complete in my whole entire life if I don't do something of this nature or higher calling sort of speak.

I live in Mid-Mo-----

Questions: How much money in student loan re-payments can I get by joining the Guard as an officer? I read $50,000 and lists about 20 what if's! If you don't select this you don't get that--I'm not paying my student loans right now because for the past year I've been catching up on all my debts and in deferment!! In two months, I will have cleared up over 7 debts that account to thousands of dollars and living well below my budget. I can enter paying at anytime but needed to clear the over-head sort of speak--etc,etc--- "Confused" I'm being told one thing and I read another about student loan repayment from the guard.

Questions:Can anyone tell me what officer jobs are available in Mo? ---I'm interested in Intelligence, Infantry, Nuclear-- I'm interviewing for new upper level mgmt jobs right now in states such as New York, California, Iowa, and Chicago. With me being literally a pen stroke away from committing, how do I make sure I'm going through the correct procedures if I land a job that suits me and I join the guard before as an officer?

I might have done things backwards in regards to going to college first and stabilizing a career and then joining the military but let's face it... If you have a desire and goal why not pursue it, it's all in the heart that matters and if it still burns, well that's what I call is meant to be indeed...

Do I have a choice or input on where I can go to basic training? I prefer out of Mo- OCS is only held in Benning correct when I finally get to the next stage?

By federal Law- My job is protected if I'm sworn in and committed with my current job right??... What do I need to do in order to be fully protected when I go through with all the paper work? So when I go to basic, ocs, leadership training??? I'm thinking the excel program is the best option---

Well, if your reading this, I appreciate your time and help. I'm a country/city boy that appreciates you reading my elementary questions. It gets rather tricky when your recruiter or 2 recruiters tell you one thing and you learn many new things...

P.S. I have so many questions and need some guidance.

Best,
    Shawnius

Re: College Graduate/Graduate Degree---Seeking Information about the officer Program-

It sounds like you would benefit the most from talking to a recruiter. They will be able to tell you specifically how your situation would fall under with SLRP. They can also tell you what jobs are available in your area because each state can differ in their mission/job opportunity. Do you have one you can work with?

Comment

Re: College Graduate/Graduate Degree---Seeking Information about the officer Program-

Thanks for the Response-

I have spoken to a recruiter but he didn't give me the information that is needed. I just received an email yesterday saying an National Guard recruiting officer will be in touch with me next week. So I guess that is good news. Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Shawnius1775 View Post
        Thanks for the Response-

I have spoken to a recruiter but he didn't give me the information that is needed. I just received an email yesterday saying an National Guard recruiting officer will be in touch with me next week. So I guess that is good news. Thank You
        What did they tell you about SLRP? More specifically, what questions do you feel like they didn't answer?

I"m re-reading your post, and I think I can answer a few more of your questions. You asked about choosing your training location. Generally, the answer is no. It is based on a couple of variables such as slot availability and what MOS you are training for. I"m not certain what you mean when you say OCS in reference to Ft. Benning. Do you mean OSUT? OCS stands for Officer Candidate School with numerous training sites in each state. Conversely, OSUT means One Station Unit Training. For your information, 11 series (i.e. Infantry) OSUT would, in fact, be at Ft. Benning.

Lastly, can you be more specific about your job concerns? Are you worried that you will be fired if you attend training? You are correct in that you are covered, by law, from this kind of discrimination for serving in the Military. I doubt that there is a company/business out there that isn't aware of this. You are entitled to keep your current position (or a similar one), benefits, and pay grade. If you need more information on this matter, be sure to ask your recruiter to provide you with details.
        Last edited by RyCass; November 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I went in and spoke to my recruiter and he said he would call me on Monday which would be two weeks ago. I'm a little bothered and Yes, I did get a dwi almost 10 yrs ago along with writing a bad check in 2003 for like twenty bucks. Yes, I made a mistake and learned from the situation but why am I still waiting to hear the news? I'm 32 and a productive person with a good job/person to learn the military way indeed.

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawnius1775 View Post
            I went in and spoke to my recruiter and he said he would call me on Monday which would be two weeks ago. I'm a little bothered and Yes, I did get a dwi almost 10 yrs ago along with writing a bad check in 2003 for like twenty bucks. Yes, I made a mistake and learned from the situation but why am I still waiting to hear the news? I'm 32 and a productive person with a good job/person to learn the military way indeed.

Shawn
            Because that disqualifies you from enlisting, and recruiters don't have time to spend on people that cannot join.

Comment

Yup. That DWI is what will hold you back.

Comment

Working...
              X