X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG Vs Reserves

I am about to swear in this month in the 09s program i just have 4 lbs to lose n i have a question. I want to go to the federal ocs program due to family commitments. I have done quite a bit of research and read through the threads. My question is if NG cannot send me FOCS and I go to the reserves, how is it different bedside being federally funded? Which one is best?

Re: NG Vs Reserves

Originally posted by Egartade View Post
    I am about to swear in this month in the 09s program i just have 4 lbs to lose n i have a question. I want to go to the federal ocs program due to family commitments. I have done quite a bit of research and read through the threads. My question is if NG cannot send me FOCS and I go to the reserves, how is it different bedside being federally funded? Which one is best?
    You should not base your decision on whether to go ARNG or USAR on whether a component can send you to FOCS or not. There about about 30+ reasons I can give you for this as a person who commissioned through the ARNG but is looking to transition to the USAR 3-8 years down the road.

Comment

With all due respect, what should I base my decision upon? I really want to serve ever since I can remember. I have already tested and passed my ASVAB and cleared medical. Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Comment

The point is that if a 12 week commitment to OCS is going to make or break your decision to go either ARNG or USAR, then you're in for a rough ride.

Comment

With all due respect, the 12 week commitment really won't make me or break me. I just prefer FOCS over Traditional OCS due to my family and civilian commitments. If all goes well and I'm so fortunate to make it through the program, I would be honored to dedicate myself whole heartedly and without any reservations to the armed forces. I just want insight on experienced soldiers so that I make sure whichever particular branch I join meets my needs. Thank you for your time and guidance.

Comment

With all due respect, the 12 week commitment really won't make me or break me. I just prefer FOCS over Traditional OCS due to my family and civilian commitments. If all goes well and I'm so fortunate to make it through the program, I would be honored to dedicate myself whole heartedly and without any reservations to the armed forces. I just want insight on experienced soldiers so that I make sure whichever particular branch I join meets my needs. Thank you for your time and guidance.
            I think you need to evaluate your ability to commit to the reserve components. Spend some time on the forums as a lurker, I'm sure you'll find good guidance the longer you are here.

Comment

Thank you so much for your time and advise

Comment

Thank you so much for your time and advise
                I think another way to phrase what Polo is saying is that your commitment to serve should be based on more than just one training length experience. When you enlist, you are committing to a minimum of 6 years where a number of inconvenient things can come up and disrupt your plans with your family and civilian life.

It's good to have an ideal method to enlist, but what Polo is trying to say, and I agree with, is it would be in your best interest to be prepared for whatever the mission calls for. If you can only have it one way, then being in the military may not be the best option for you.

Good luck with your enlistment process!

Comment

Working...
                X