X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual military

I just started speaking to a recruiter regarding an o9s application. My wife is active coast guard. I'm just curious how this could potentially affect my chances with the guard. There are potential issues i could see arising.

For example, there is a small chance she could be stationed on a boat before I finish OCS. It's not likely, but still, this would be a tough situation as the kids would have to spend time with grandma. If I have to skip drill days while she is out at sea, is this allowed during OCS?

What if she gets transferred to another state? How does that affect my Louisiana guard membership?

What other things should I be considering given our situation?

I just want to make sure I am completely prepared for these things. I don't want to waste the guard's time if I'm not a good candidate.

Re: Dual military

You won't be missing any drill because Little Johnny doesn't have a baby sitter. Especially during OCS.

The military will have you submit a family care plan that deals with situations like this. If she gets transferred you
    will have to request a transfer as well. Some people initially join the reserves (instead of guard) because they 'say'
    it is easier to move. (I've seen people in the guard IST pretty easily - it's all about slots).

The military has literally thousands of dual military as well as single military parents (which is essentially the same
    thing). You will be fine - as long as you and your family work this out, it doesn't eliminate you from being a good
    candidate. Good luck.

Comment

Bigger picture: you have to ask yourself -
      What if she goes out to sea and you get a 1 year vacation to the desert?

The answer to this question will go further to answering if you are a good candidate than needing a baby sitter
      for a drill weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeks7300 View Post
        I just started speaking to a recruiter regarding an o9s application. My wife is active coast guard. I'm just curious how this could potentially affect my chances with the guard. There are potential issues i could see arising.

For example, there is a small chance she could be stationed on a boat before I finish OCS. It's not likely, but still, this would be a tough situation as the kids would have to spend time with grandma. If I have to skip drill days while she is out at sea, is this allowed during OCS?

What if she gets transferred to another state? How does that affect my Louisiana guard membership?

What other things should I be considering given our situation?

I just want to make sure I am completely prepared for these things. I don't want to waste the guard's time if I'm not a good candidate.
        Unless there are some educational benefits you are after by joining the guard, I think I would recommend the Army Reserves in your situation. They are alot more moving friendly should you leave the state.
        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 26th, 2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

In my personal experience, intrastate and interstate transfers in the Reserve both were nearly effortless. Interstate transfer in the Guard (from MA to NY) was a nuclear cluster F. But that is just my experience.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I greatly appreciate it. I'm going to meet with the recruiter Monday.

Comment

Working...
            X