Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions for Security Clearance credit issues.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for Security Clearance credit issues.

It's Secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      It's Secret.

Damn, so much for that :/

Comment

Well, I'm not convinced you are virtually unable to obtain a clearance. Without re-reading the entire post (I'm supposed to be doing army homework), have you been denied a clearance, or simply believe your credit is so marred that you think it unlikely? The biggest factor in obtaining a clearance is the explanation surrounding the irregularity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          Well, I'm not convinced you are virtually unable to obtain a clearance. Without re-reading the entire post (I'm supposed to be doing army homework), have you been denied a clearance, or simply believe your credit is so marred that you think it unlikely? The biggest factor in obtaining a clearance is the explanation surrounding the irregularity.
          I have not been denied but I believe that I will not be granted a clearance because of my credit. I was told that if I try to get a clearance and I am denied then it will be harder to get later. I am not sure how true that is or not. Also I am 30 years old so I do not want to miss my cutoff of 34.

The fact that I am 30 is what prevents me from going enlisted and once my credit is cleared up trying for OCS because I don't want to contract as enlisted and get screwed out of OSC and then end up passing the age requirement and missing out all together.

Comment

Does anyone know anything about the Green to Gold option? If I enlisted what are the chances of getting OCS through Green to Gold in a year or the next 6 months?

Comment

Green to Gold refers to ROTC which is a different commissioning route than OCS. They are two different animals.

From the active duty portal.

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/enlisted-...tive-duty.html

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJoe View Post
                I just signed up to that Lexington Law Service to dispute credit issues.
                I hope you are not paying them much, this is something you can do on your own. If you legitimatly have something to dispute you can do it on your own. You can't dispute a debt that you actually owe.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                  I hope you are not paying them much, this is something you can do on your own. If you legitimatly have something to dispute you can do it on your own. You can't dispute a debt that you actually owe.
                  HRNCO, you provide some valuable insight on these boards, but you have a tremendous swing and a miss here.

Not being able to dispute items on your credit report that you actually owe is probably one of the biggest myths in credit reporting or maybe the entire financial market. Fact is, you can dispute anything you want, and if done properly more times than not the credit reporting agencies will not be able to verify the disputed item. It is part of federal law that puts the burden on the reporting agency to verify items, and when they cannot, IT WILL BE DELETED.

Furthermore, while you can also change your own oil, make repairs to your house, or landscape your yard; the average American doesn't do it because there are professional businesses out there that are better at getting the job done. There is no difference in the credit disputing world. Lexington Law ins't the cheapest service in the world, and they are a business out there to make money. But they are experts in crafting dispute letters.

Many people do not understand how or what is needed in a dispute letter to get results. The second you try and offer any kind of explanation, you lose. With some crafty words all you are asking for is the item be verified.

I have posted this many times, but it has always been a fact that is hard to drive into some people. Many will give the the moral BS about how its wrong, you should be honest and blah blah, but federal law allows it, use it.
                  Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    Green to Gold refers to ROTC which is a different commissioning route than OCS. They are two different animals.

From the active duty portal.

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/enlisted-...tive-duty.html
                    Thanks, I was looking at this option if I end up enlisting to clear up my credit. I'm just worried if I enlist and they do not allow me to go green to gold or OSC and I miss my chance since by time I ETS i'll be to old to go for a commission.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                      It costs $99.99 per month, no contract, cancel whenever you want. They said it usually takes 30-45 days to get results. So it'll cost me about $200

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        HRNCO, you provide some valuable insight on these boards, but you have a tremendous swing and a miss here.

Not being able to dispute items on your credit report that you actually owe is probably one of the biggest myths in credit reporting or maybe the entire financial market. Fact is, you can dispute anything you want, and if done properly more times than not the credit reporting agencies will not be able to verify the disputed item. It is part of federal law that puts the burden on the reporting agency to verify items, and when they cannot, IT WILL BE DELETED.

Furthermore, while you can also change your own oil, make repairs to your house, or landscape your yard; the average American doesn't do it because there are professional businesses out there that are better at getting the job done. There is no difference in the credit disputing world. Lexington Law ins't the cheapest service in the world, and they are a business out there to make money. But they are experts in crafting dispute letters.

Many people do not understand how or what is needed in a dispute letter to get results. The second you try and offer any kind of explanation, you lose. With some crafty words all you are asking for is the item be verified.

I have posted this many times, but it has always been a fact that is hard to drive into some people. Many will give the the moral BS about how its wrong, you should be honest and blah blah, but federal law allows it, use it.
                        I agree, I attempted to clean up my credit about 6-8 months ago and spent almost $150 on sending certified letter after certified letter to these companies. Most of the time I didn't even get a reply. I figured instead of trying this route again, I'll give it to a professional and see what they can do.

Comment

It costs $99.99 per month, no contract, cancel whenever you want. They said it usually takes 30-45 days to get results. So it'll cost me about $200
                          Their retainer (one time fee) is 99.99, there are three levels of service and you don't need anything more then the basic service, which is 59.95 a month.

It will take 90 days to get the results back from their first rounds of disputes. You will see the biggest benefit by staying with them for aproximatley a year, unless of course you run out of things for them to dispute. Using them for 30 days will get you no where, this isn't a fast process.

Comment

I agree, I attempted to clean up my credit about 6-8 months ago and spent almost $150 on sending certified letter after certified letter to these companies. Most of the time I didn't even get a reply. I figured instead of trying this route again, I'll give it to a professional and see what they can do.
                            You send disputes to the credit reporting agencies, I.E. Equifax, Experian and Transunion.

If that fails, and you are writing the companies (which you apparently were) you are better off sending them a "pay for deletion" letter. Essentially in that tactic you ask them to delete the entry upon a set amount of money being paid. It has a fair success rate, you can find examples on line. They also don't need to be sent certified, just use a self addressed stamped envelope for them to return the signed agreement.

While sending the creditor a direct dispute after 30 days have past (in most states) is technically a legal way to dispute debt, it just wont get you anywhere on the credit report. Sending them one within 30 days of a collection notice usually can stop them from reporting derogatory information until they prove you owe them (which they usually will do).

Comment

Article that popped up on some news sites: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...a-new-watchdog

Debt Collectors Face A New Watchdog

For the first time, debt collectors have a federal regulator. Starting on Jan. 2, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will supervise companies that collect at least $10 million a year in consumer debts. In the past, debt collectors faced some supervision at the state level and consumers could complain to the Federal Trade Commission. But there was no federal agency actively policing the beat.

The CFPB says its examiners will try to ensure that debt collectors provide proper disclosure and accurate information, that they have good complaint- and dispute-resolution processes, and that they “communicate civilly and honestly” with consumers. The authority will cover the three main types of debt collectors: companies that buy up debts for pennies on the dollar and then get to keep whatever they collect for themselves; companies that get a fee to collect debts on behalf of other companies; and lawyers who pursue debt collection through litigation...

Comment

Yes, you can dispute anything...and there are tricks on doing this as well. But just getting it deleted does not mean it will not show back up again at a later time. At which point you have to start the process over again. Also, the success of this will depend on how many times the debt has been sold. The more times it has been sold, the better chance of it working.

the "myfico" website has (or atleast used to, I haven't been there in years) all the step by step actions you need to do to dispute and samples of letters that work. They really break it down and make it easy for people to do this themselves.

People just seem to have a illusion that these companies have some magic formula for cleaning up their credit and that just simply isn't the case.

Many will give the the moral BS about how its wrong, you should be honest and blah blah, but federal law allows it, use it.
                                And we wonder why the economy is in the crapper. In this case, guy has 2 cars repossessed and now wants it dropped from his credit report just because. Most of these places will settle for pennies on the dollar on these debts if you call them up and make an offer and then you don't have to worry about disputing it later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X