Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How hard is it to get into SMP, ROTC w/Scholarships and Active Duty with ARNG? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to get into SMP, ROTC w/Scholarships and Active Duty with ARNG?

Simply put, the question is in the title but I plan to go into the ARNG, get into college with SMP, do the ROTC with an ROTC Scholarship and come out as a commissioned officer and try to get into active duty.

I know it's not an easy thing but...
    Could someone pretty much give me a direct explanation or percentage on the chances of SMP, ROTC, a scholarship and active duty happening?

Thanks!

P.S: Sorry but I worry that there is a minuscule chance of this happening but I'd like to know from someone in the Guard if this is a major or minor possibility for me.

Re: How hard is it to get into SMP, ROTC w/Scholarships and Active Duty with ARNG?

Also, another bit of information. I am 17, a senior at an Early College High School, I will graduate December 2013 with an associate of science at age 18, I have a 3.4 unweighted GPA, 4.1 weighted GPA, 1490 SAT (Math/Verbal/Writing), 23 ACT (Math/Verbal/Writing), Many many clubs, volunteer work and service projects. Rank 19 out of 50 in my class (top 38%).

I plan to transfer to a university as a Junior, all 64 of my college credits will transfer.

Comment

Re: How hard is it to get into SMP, ROTC w/Scholarships and Active Duty with ARNG?

If your plan is to go active duty, why are you even considering the guard?

I think your conversation needs to be with the ROTC recruiter at the university you plan to transfer into, not with the guard forums. There are certain requirements that need to be met when you transfer in as a junior that don't exist if you joined the program as a MS I / II. Also, I think you have SMP confused - I don't think that program has any weight/pull in the ROTC department so doing SMP won't "help you" get in.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBrayden View Post
        Also, another bit of information. I am 17, a senior at an Early College High School, I will graduate December 2013 with an associate of science at age 18, I have a 3.4 unweighted GPA, 4.1 weighted GPA, 1490 SAT (Math/Verbal/Writing), 23 ACT (Math/Verbal/Writing), Many many clubs, volunteer work and service projects. Rank 19 out of 50 in my class (top 38%).

I plan to transfer to a university as a Junior, all 64 of my college credits will transfer.
        A lot of this will depend less on your academic prowess, and more on what slots are available in your state and what area you branch in. All three "programs" have their own guidelines. I would recommend getting to know the ins and outs of each to determine what path is best for you. Start with the SMP. That will help you get familiar with being enlisted while attending ROTC. Once you're in ROTC, speak to your Cadre about getting a scholarship. Ask them, as well, about the Active Duty opportunities you have once you graduate. In all reality, you have time in between each option so don't stress too much about it.

Hope this helps!
        Last edited by RyCass; October 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Those who want active duty are selected/not selected according to their accessions packets. It gets really split up with points, but GPA is worth 40 (out of 99 I think). Simply put, the more points you get, the better your chances.

Being either SMP/ROTC or ROTC/Scholarship does not affect your accessions packet at all.

You ARE able to do SMP/ROTC and still commission active duty. If this is what you really want, get as high a GPA as possible and max out your PT tests.

Comment

Originally posted by j.stetzer View Post
            Those who want active duty are selected/not selected according to their accessions packets. It gets really split up with points, but GPA is worth 40 (out of 99 I think). Simply put, the more points you get, the better your chances.

Being either SMP/ROTC or ROTC/Scholarship does not affect your accessions packet at all.

You ARE able to do SMP/ROTC and still commission active duty. If this is what you really want, get as high a GPA as possible and max out your PT tests.
            ROTC is now weighting the type undergraduate major. Last I heard, people who major in an engineering have moved up 1/6th of the places on the National OML.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              ROTC is now weighting the type undergraduate major. Last I heard, people who major in an engineering have moved up 1/6th of the places on the National OML.
              If that is true then that will really help me. I have and still plan to get either a Civil or Mechanical Engineering Degree. That's why I am taking the Associate of Science classes instead of the Arts.

I also want to become an Engineer Officer, and I want to try to get the MOS of 21B Combat Engineer.
              Last edited by SnowBrayden; October 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

If you go into ROTC with an ROTC scholarship there is no reason to do the SMP. The SMP is more geared towards soldiers already in the National Guard or Reserves also pursuing a commission (i.e. you enlist first, got to BCT/AIT and then go to college drilling as a Cadet in your unit). You can take your chances and apply for an ROTC scholarship or simply enlist, go to BCT/AIT and you will have your MGIB and FTA to take advantage of. Your GPA sounds solid, however keep in mind that your GPA is only worth a maximum of 40 points towards your accessions packet. Whatever ROTC BN you go into you will need to hit the ground running making a name for yourself, putting yourself out there, volunteering, doing various extra-curricular activities (Ranger Challenge, Color Guard, Pershing Rifles, intramural sports, etc.) to get as many points as you can. You can also get points for majoring in Engineering as well as having a part-time job and other things. Your best bet is to contact your local ROTC BN (or whatever ROTC BN at the university you want to attend) and see what they can do for you. Look for the Recruiting Operations Officer (ROO) good luck, PM me if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                  If you go into ROTC with an ROTC scholarship there is no reason to do the SMP. The SMP is more geared towards soldiers already in the National Guard or Reserves also pursuing a commission (i.e. you enlist first, got to BCT/AIT and then go to college drilling as a Cadet in your unit). You can take your chances and apply for an ROTC scholarship or simply enlist, go to BCT/AIT and you will have your MGIB and FTA to take advantage of. Your GPA sounds solid, however keep in mind that your GPA is only worth a maximum of 40 points towards your accessions packet. Whatever ROTC BN you go into you will need to hit the ground running making a name for yourself, putting yourself out there, volunteering, doing various extra-curricular activities (Ranger Challenge, Color Guard, Pershing Rifles, intramural sports, etc.) to get as many points as you can. You can also get points for majoring in Engineering as well as having a part-time job and other things. Your best bet is to contact your local ROTC BN (or whatever ROTC BN at the university you want to attend) and see what they can do for you. Look for the Recruiting Operations Officer (ROO) good luck, PM me if you have any questions.
                  Just for clarification, I've heard that you cannot take the ROTC scholarship and do the SMP.

The GFRD scholarship is for those who are pursing a commission in the NG or USAR.

The SMP is geared towards cadets who would like the experience of being in a unit while in ROTC.

Comment

Just for clarification, I've heard that you cannot take the ROTC scholarship and do the SMP.
                    This may be true. I have never seen this done.

Comment

The GFRD scholarship is for those who are pursing a commission in the NG or USAR.

The SMP is geared towards cadets who would like the experience of being in a unit while in ROTC.
                      Yes sir, I don't think that potential form of 'double-dipping' sits too well with Uncle Sam. I always thought that the SMP was only open to prior enlisted members of the Reserves/National Guard, BUT that would explain a lot of the cadets in my unit going to drill and drawing drill pay without having been to BCT/AIT and not being MOS-Q'd. Oh well, cest la vie...

Comment

Take a look at the link in my signature file for additional clarification on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                        X