Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior in High School, Split Op, SMP, ROTC questions.

Not sure if this is the right category but it seemed most fitting.
    And I did look up the topic before posting this and I did find a thread very similar but the guy's birthday was kind of what set the topic in a different direction and didn't give me a full answer, SO-

I'm a junior in high school, turned 17 in September, and I've started chatting with a recruiter (I've taken the ASVAB already, scored 88 and did well in all composite scores too). I want to attend Norwich University as well and participate in the ROTC program there. I visited Norwich just recently too.

So would it be possible for me to do the split option now- head to BCT this coming summer, RSP through senior year, and AIT after and be back in time for college (I want to do infantry so I should be able to fit it in)- and also apply for an ROTC scholarship this spring (March, April 2013). Then say I do get the ROTC scolarship, that would apply all 4 years of college correct? And then I'd go to Norwich after AIT, participate in ROTC there (SMP).

My question here is dealing with the fact I live in MA while Norwich is in VT. The person I know who is there right now did basically the same thing I want to do but signed with the Guard after freshmen year of Norwich through the same recruiter I'm talking to now from the MA Guard and he hasn't answered me on this yet. Would I be transferred to a VT unit and drill with them? Or would I be having to head down one weekend a month back down to MA to drill?
    The couple people I talked to at Norwich who were in the Guard didn't join the Guard until at least their freshmen year at Norwich so none of them could really help me on this specifically.

Also, I was told after I graduate I can commission as an active officer. Would that still apply is my Guard contract wasn't up?

Forgive me if you have a hard time understand exactly what I'm asking, lot of information I'm spewing out and trying to get answers for Dx Thank you
    Last edited by nicastronaut; September 30th, 2012, 09:33 PM.

Re: Junior in High School, Split Op, SMP, ROTC questions.

Originally posted by nicastronaut View Post
    And I did look up the topic before posting this and I did find a thread very similar but the guy's birthday was kind of what set the topic in a different direction and didn't give me a full answer, SO-

I'm a junior in high school, turned 17 in September, and I've started chatting with a recruiter (I've taken the ASVAB already, scored 88 and did well in all composite scores too). I want to attend Norwich University as well and participate in the ROTC program there. I visited Norwich just recently too.

So would it be possible for me to do the split option now- head to BCT this coming summer, RSP through senior year, and AIT after and be back in time for college (I want to do infantry so I should be able to fit it in)- and also apply for an ROTC scholarship this spring (March, April 2013). Then say I do get the ROTC scolarship, that would apply all 4 years of college correct? And then I'd go to Norwich after AIT, participate in ROTC there (SMP).

My question here is dealing with the fact I live in MA while Norwich is in VT. The person I know who is there right now did basically the same thing I want to do but signed with the Guard after freshmen year of Norwich through the same recruiter I'm talking to now from the MA Guard and he hasn't answered me on this yet. Would I be transferred to a VT unit and drill with them? Or would I be having to head down one weekend a month back down to MA to drill?
    The couple people I talked to at Norwich who were in the Guard didn't join the Guard until at least their freshmen year at Norwich so none of them could really help me on this specifically.

Also, I was told after I graduate I can commission as an active officer. Would that still apply is my Guard contract wasn't up?

Forgive me if you have a hard time understand exactly what I'm asking, lot of information I'm spewing out and trying to get answers for Dx Thank you

1. Can you do the Split Training Option? The simple answer to this, is yes, you can. This enlistment option is geared towards applicants that are in your exact situation. You would attend BCT in the summer of your Junior year and AIT after you graduate, just in time for college.

2. Enlisting in MA and transferring to VT. This is also possible. For your situation, what you'll do is while in HS, you'll attend RSP drills in MA. Once you've completed AIT and are ready to attend college, you can request what is called an inter-state transfer to VT. To ensure that this transition is smooth, I would recommend getting in touch with the unit in VT to ensure there is an open slot for your MOS. If the unit in VT is drivable from your home in MA, you may be able to directly enlist in the VA unit and attend RSP drills there, instead. Talk to your recruiter about your options on this.

3. Active Duty Officer This will be a question to verify with your recruiter as well as the ROTC cadre. They will be able to tell you what options you'll have in your state for becoming an Active Duty Officer after completing ROTC. http://bit.ly/O5h30X

Comment

Originally posted by nicastronaut View Post

What RyCass said. I would like to reinforce the point about enlisting directly into the VT Guard if the commute is not going to kill you. Eliminating the interstate transfer is a very good idea.

On a subjective note, what you are doing is the best way to go through ROTC because your time in service (which directly impacts your pay, among other things) starts from the day you join the Guard, whereas your ROTC-only peers' TIS does not start until the day of their commission. As a result, you'll have somewhere between four and six years time in service when you commission as opposed to zero. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you both of you. I'm seeing my recruiter briefly tomorrow to look over MOS options, I'll bring it up then. Last time I talked to him about considering ROTC I wasn't sure as to what college I wanted to go to, but now after seeing Norwich (among others) I have my heart set on it for sure.
        Thanks again, much appreciated.

Comment

Nic,

While the LT is correct regarding your potential time in service during enlisted guard membership, honestly, I'm not certain that enlisting in the Guard really gives you a particularly useful advantage. If you are accepted into Norwich and participate in the Corps of Cadets your active duty fate will not be directly impacted by the LDAC order of merit list. Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, all the private military colleges access their cadets into the active component, just like West Point. (VMI, Citadel ect). You can STILL SMP with Vermont once you are SMP eligible within the program, AND it does not affect your future AD service. As big of a proponent as I am for the Guard; enlisting into an MOS with the SOLE intent to immediately transition into ROTC is a waste of government funds, training resources, and ties up a position on a unit's UMR. You will singlehandedly cost the government tens of thousands in accession and training dollars only to "Jump ship" into ROTC immediately after becomming MOS qualified. Personally, your and the Army's interests are better served by you just attending Norwich, becomming an SMP and commissioning active duty in 5 or 6 years. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Nic,

While the LT is correct regarding your potential time in service during enlisted guard membership, honestly, I'm not certain that enlisting in the Guard really gives you a particularly useful advantage. If you are accepted into Norwich and participate in the Corps of Cadets your active duty fate will not be directly impacted by the LDAC order of merit list. Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, all the private military colleges access their cadets into the active component, just like West Point. (VMI, Citadel ect). You can STILL SMP with Vermont once you are SMP eligible within the program, AND it does not affect your future AD service. As big of a proponent as I am for the Guard; enlisting into an MOS with the SOLE intent to immediately transition into ROTC is a waste of government funds, training resources, and ties up a position on a unit's UMR. You will singlehandedly cost the government tens of thousands in accession and training dollars only to "Jump ship" into ROTC immediately after becomming MOS qualified. Personally, your and the Army's interests are better served by you just attending Norwich, becomming an SMP and commissioning active duty in 5 or 6 years. Good luck.

Excellent point. I just thought about it cuz a pretty good portion of the cadets at Norwich have enlisted in the Guard either prior to attending or after freshmen year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              Nic,

While that may be the case, Nic should focus on taking care of himself instead of taking care of the Army. Those issues are items that need to be addressed by people way above our pay grade. "Don't hate the player, hate the game." He should "get whatever he can" out of the government.
              Last edited by Polo08816; October 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                While that may be the case, Nic should focus on taking care of himself instead of taking care of the Army. Those issues are items that need to be addressed by people way above our pay grade. "Don't hate the player, hate the game." He should "get whatever he can" out of the government.
                Thanks haha, but yeah and I mean honestly I'd rather have gone through the enlisted AIT and have drilled as that MOS before I become an officer in that field.
                But Mongoose I do appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  This.

OP, do everything in your power to become the best and most prepared officer you can possibly be (without doing anything illegal, of course). Allocation of government and unit resources is not your concern. Trust me, Uncle Sam is going to get his when it comes down to it.

Now, I know you said you want to be an Infantry officer, but the advice I'm about to give goes for cadets regardless of their preferred branch. Your enlisted experience is often not necessarily that relevant to your service as an officer, and this is especially the case when it comes to support MOSes because the training for enlisted soldiers is often highly specialized. The exception to this is combat arms, especially Infantry. Small unit tactics and the orders process are important for all officers, and it's really only combat arms (and again, primarily Infantry) enlisted soldiers who have any chance at being directly exposed to them prior to attending NCOES. Every soldier is a rifleman first, so it follows that having an enlisted combat arms background is valuable regardless of your assigned branch.

For the record, I am not encouraging everyone to "be like me" -- I was an 88M before I became an 11A, so I pretty much reversed the process I described above.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                    This.

OP, do everything in your power to become the best and most prepared officer you can possibly be (without doing anything illegal, of course). Allocation of government and unit resources is not your concern. Trust me, Uncle Sam is going to get his when it comes down to it.

Now, I know you said you want to be an Infantry officer, but the advice I'm about to give goes for cadets regardless of their preferred branch. Your enlisted experience is often not necessarily that relevant to your service as an officer, and this is especially the case when it comes to support MOSes because the training for enlisted soldiers is often highly specialized. The exception to this is combat arms, especially Infantry. Small unit tactics and the orders process are important for all officers, and it's really only combat arms (and again, primarily Infantry) enlisted soldiers who have any chance at being directly exposed to them prior to attending NCOES. Every soldier is a rifleman first, so it follows that having an enlisted combat arms background is valuable regardless of your assigned branch.

For the record, I am not encouraging everyone to "be like me" -- I was an 88M before I became an 11A, so I pretty much reversed the process I described above.
                    Makes a lot of sense when ya think about it yeah. Thanks for the info, man.

Comment

I am in the exact same boat as you. Norwich University, Split Op, SMP, ROTC. I live in MA. The only thing different is that I couldn't enlist junior year because I didn't turn 17 until July 26. I am a senior now and just recently enlisted. Let me know if you have any questions

Comment

Working...
                      X