Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS at Fort Benning

Hello from Fort Benning!

I'm currently a college option (09S) candidate here at OCS, our class started 27 Aug. We are about to start week 4 of the 12 week course.

I know that I had a TON of questions before I came to OCS, so I thought I would post some current information about the course.

Week 1 is intense! If you're not a strong runner now, you better start pushing your runs before you get here. The first week is very intense and physical. We lost 10 candidates the first week from the physical stuff!

Week 2 starts with the routine of classes and tests. It's hard enough to stay awake in the classroom, but the exams are ok. You do have to be studying everyday and pass with a 70% or higher. You get one retake before you get recycled.

Week 3 is more of the same - still physically demanding and we started our ruck marches (30-33% pf body weight in ruck). You get a 17 min/mile pace for the rucks, and you have 5 total (2 5s, 2 7s, and 1 10 mile, all at a 17 min/mile pace).

The packing list is extensive - just make sure you have it all! It cost me about $1100 - and I bought new boots and running shoes on top of that (I was just coming from basic, so I wanted that stuff). Class dues are another $400 on top of that.
    Just be prepared for that!

Post questions - I'll have internet access in the evenings to get back to you!
    Good Luck~

Re: OCS at Fort Benning

For those reading OC Sarah's post, be aware she is attending Federal OCS at Benning, not to be confused with either a AOCS or TOCS program.

And, you are a freak OC! Keep it up!

Comment

Yes, Federal OCS! Thanks for the added clarification, Lt. Dan!!

Comment

Originally posted by selmore816 View Post
        Yes, Federal OCS! Thanks for the added clarification, Lt. Dan!!
        I second that! Motivator!

Comment

I'd like to know more about land nav and what the terrain is like over there. Also, your state did not pay for your gear? I am a 09s in CA planning to go to Benning as well. Thank you so much for fitting this thread into your busy time at OCS. You guys get internet and phone access starting week 4? Or you guys get it ever since week 1?

Do you have the national guard liaison contact by any chance? I want to consult with them about Airborne right after OCS. Thank you!

OC Wong

Comment

OC Wong
            We are just starting to get the maps to practice for the land nav course here. If you message me, I can email you a copy of the map that I have on my computer. We have yet to go to the course (we won't do that until the DAY BEFORE we actually perform the exercise!) but we are just practicing plotting and route decisions, etc. You have 5 hours to find 8 points. 6 of 8 points is passing, and the course is NOT self-correcting anymore. You get one retake, if you don't pass that you get recycled to the next company.

We got internet and phone access (limited) starting in week 2. It's all dependent upon the commander and the class' behavior/motivation. We got coffee week 3, and we are starting to get Sunday pass on post. It is all earned!!

Get running!! That's all we do here ... so if that's your weak spot, get steppin'!!!
            Hope that helps!

Comment

Motivation! Keep it up, and thanks for the input!

Comment

Going back to OC Wong's question, how come the state didnt pay for your gear? Thats a lot of $$ to go to school. I plan on putting in an OCS packet when I get done with AIT in April.

Comment

Pm'ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Is it a requirement to bring/provide your own laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by selmore816 View Post
                      You do have to be studying everyday and pass with a 70% or higher. You get one retake before you get recycled.
                      Typical Army. I would like to see an Army school somewhere where you get one retake before you FAIL. If real college was like the Army everyone would have a freakin PHD just by showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        Typical Army. I would like to see an Army school somewhere where you get one retake before you FAIL.
                        Para - I haven't searched for it yet here in the forums, but I was of the impression that academic standards were tightened, as well as PT requirements for NCOES schools, etc. If you need to be retest and fail, it's a bad 1059 and you're done for a year.

I'll dig a bit and post it up, but they were talking about that when I was in SLC in August.

Comment

I was there with selmore.

Land nav terrain is tough. Mix of steep hills, flat terrain, ankle deep sand, neck high weeds, waist deep creeks, and stuff so thick it could stop an Abrams at full speed... I probably ran 12+ miles the first day and at least 15 the second day...yea, I failed day one with 59 other people...

You show up with your initial issue from Basic but they have an extensive packing list that you WERE required to have, and it cost us around $1000. After we classed up the BN Commander made the list optional but highly suggested you have a lot on it. I could probably make a better packing list but....oh well. You have to pay to play.

Your state/recruiter is the one to talk about for Airborne school.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuardGuy View Post
                            Is it a requirement to bring/provide your own laptop?
                            Not required to bring one but it REALLY comes in handy when you have classes and want to take notes, check your AKO and do counseling statements. There are computer labs but the computers suck, printers often don't work and for a company sized group there are usually only ~10 computers. By the end of our cycle I think only 5 worked and 3 would print...buy a printer too.

You can pm me with questions too.

Comment

For the record, the OP has successfully graduated and commissioned a Lieutenant in the Signal Corps! Way to GO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X