X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Officer Candidate (09S) OCS and MOS Question

I have joined the Army National Guard as an 09s and I am going to basic on 09/25/2012 at Fort Jackson in South Carolina. After I will go to OCS either Traditional (18 months, 2 weeks a year, near Allentown) or Accelerated (2 months straight). The federal is no longer available (for Pennsylvania anyway). I am very interested and prefer to go the Accelerated route. Is there anything I can do to get accelerated?

Also, when will I choose an MOS? Is it after OCS is completed? Or before entering OCS?

Any info is appreciated, thank you.

Re: PA Officer Candidate (09S) OCS and MOS Question

You need to speak with your OSM. Each state has different criteria when it comes your ability to choose AOCS vs Traditional, as well as when you pick a branch (officers receive a branch not a MOS).

Comment

Marine2Guard is right,

Some states (Like AZ) only give the accelarated option to prior service with a lot of experience. Others, do not have the budget for the traditional program and send everyone accelerated.

As for choosing your branch, most states from what I have heard wait till you are just about to pin to give you your branch, because the branch requirements for the state can change from month to month. The OSM can give you an idea of what may be avialable because of reports that show who is eligable for promotion or to leave the guard and thus potential open slots. However, as everything, it can change at a moments notice.

Signal was my first choice and up until 2 months before pinning it wasn't open. I was nearly slotted for quartermaster (my second choice), but a Signal slot opened up a week or two before they had to give us our Branch assignments. It can all change fast.

Comment

The LT's are correct. Each state or territory makes branch determinations in a variety of ways. We are working on a OML system for the comming fiscal year, which will be far more constraining than the current "first one to the finish line" approach we have used historically. I am surprized frankly, assuming you are NPS, (and you meet the age/educational criteria) that PAARNG won't get you a control number for FOCS, as it doesn't affect their state training budget...either way, contact
        PA's OSM at (717) 673-5060 or 717-861-6001.

Comment

One of my AMA colleagues was PAARNG not prior service, so at least just over a year ago they were sending candidates accelerated. Talk to your OSM as those above had said. If you're interested in a particular branch, you might consider talking to that unit directly to see what they're like and if they have slots open.

Comment

Originally posted by award360 View Post
            I have joined the Army National Guard as an 09s and I am going to basic on 09/25/2012 at Fort Jackson in South Carolina. After I will go to OCS either Traditional (18 months, 2 weeks a year, near Allentown) or Accelerated (2 months straight). The federal is no longer available (for Pennsylvania anyway). I am very interested and prefer to go the Accelerated route. Is there anything I can do to get accelerated?

Also, when will I choose an MOS? Is it after OCS is completed? Or before entering OCS?

Any info is appreciated, thank you.
            What it will come down to is the determination that the TAC officers/NCOs make when you return from BCT. That determination may include factors such as your GT score, APFT score, military knowledge, maturity, phase of the moon, and whether or not the senior TAC's wife busted his balls that morning on his way out the door.

Max everything out. Show up at the right place at the right time with the right uniform and the right attitude. Keep digital copies of everything. If they say "no," make them give you a reason. If they don't provide one, escalate. If you know you have what it takes, do not let your career be guided by the whims of a TAC officer.

Comment

Working...
            X