X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior service, ROTC/SMP questions

Thank you to all who view/attempt to answer my questions.

I am a 5 year active duty USN prior service member using the Post 9/11 GI BILL, currently sitting at 50ish college credits. I contract into TX ROTC on the 27th and have inquired about attending the SMP program while not being in the guard and It seems there isn't honestly a solid answer on this. Is it possible IN ANY WAY to attend SMP without going to BCT and AIT? After all my ultimate goal is to commission into the guard.

These are the typical answers I get when asking if I am as is eligible to attend SMP:

-Yes you can, find a unit that will accept you...

-No, it is require to be in a guard unit to contract as an SMP cadet...

-Yes, you can but you won't receive all of the benefits...

-To many cadets once commissioned did not stay with their perspective units and opted to go active duty, thus the army is cutting funding to the SMP program. Had you tried several years ago, it wouldn't be an issue being a prior service.

With my Geology field camp and summer intern there is no chance I will be able to attend BCT and AIT without setting me back another semester, likely even two. If it is true that I am only able to attend SMP through Enlisting again it just doesn't seem logical to risk delaying a commission up to a year.

Thank you again !!

-VR

Hendo

Re: Prior service, ROTC/SMP questions

I have not heard of this, but it may be possible with a GRFD scholarship. Does your school have a TXARNG liason you can speak to before the 27th? He/she would be the subject matter expert.

Also, with ROTC comes a summer assessment camp (LDAC) between your junior and senior years. There is room to complete one summer session during the same summer as LDAC. If you go through with ROTC, you need to plan ahead for this.

Comment

Re: Prior service, ROTC/SMP questions

Originally posted by j.stetzer View Post
      I have not heard of this, but it may be possible with a GRFD scholarship. Does your school have a TXARNG liason you can speak to before the 27th? He/she would be the subject matter expert.

Also, with ROTC comes a summer assessment camp (LDAC) between your junior and senior years. There is room to complete one summer session during the same summer as LDAC. If you go through with ROTC, you need to plan ahead for this.
      Thank you for the advice sir, I will seek out the TXARNG Liason ASAP.

I will attend LDAC summer 2014. I failed to mention that my geology camp and intern will be summer 2013, making me unable to attend BCT and AIT either summer.

Comment

Working...
      X