X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Limit

I was looking at the age limits and Enlisted is 35 and Officer is 42. but, do you have to join and be accepted into OCS before 35 also?

Re: Age Limit

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
    I was looking at the age limits and Enlisted is 35 and Officer is 42. but, do you have to join and be accepted into OCS before 35 also?
    That depends on what route you take. Can you be more specific? Meaning, are you referring to enlisting as an O9S?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      That depends on what route you take. Can you be more specific? Meaning, are you referring to enlisting as an O9S?
      Yes enlisting as an O9S. I have a college degree and not currently enlisted and non prior service.

Comment

That is absolutely inacurate. I am currently posting from a mobile device so I can't elaborate more now but your mixing a variety of regulations and missapplying it. The basic branch commissioning age maximum in the Guard and Reserve is still 42. A policy is currently in effect dropping initial enlistment age to 35, which makes the non prior service applicants ceiling at 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Major General Discharge
          I believe they have made some changes recently which will cause a lot of people to be ineligible for OCS.

http://origin-www.armytimes.com/prim...or-ocs-072212/

I was reading the article in a copy I got in class they other day and I remember it saying that you have to commission before you are 34 and have a bachelor's degree before you are even accepted. So that puts me out. I'm not very happy about this turn of events, as a couple of years ago the age limit was 42 and you only had to have 60 credit hours of college to have OCS written into your enlistment contract. Another change I read about them making is that Guard and Reserve could no longer go to Federal OCS..

I'm going to meet with an OCS recruiter when I get back from AIT, but from what I read it doesn't sound good for anyone over 30.
          Again, that depends on what OCS program you are going for.

More specifically, for Federal OCS you must have your bachelors degree and graduate from OCS BEFORE your 34th birthday. What many Officers on here will tell you is that going to Federal OCS is not something that most units are willing to do.

Therefore, it's more likely that you will attend State OCS. The requirements for those enlisting in the O9S program are that they must not have reached 35 at the time of their enlistment. On the other hand, current members of the ARNG have until their 42nd birthday to commission.

Those attending State OCS are not required to have a bachelors degree unless going for the Medical Service Corps.

The most current PPOM I have on this is: Policy Memo 12-025. It was published in March of 2012, so unless there is one published recently, this is the most up-to-date source.

Hope this helps! Be sure to check out the other forum threads on here. This topic has been covered before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            That is absolutely inacurate. I am currently posting from a mobile device so I can't elaborate more now but your mixing a variety of regulations and missapplying it. The basic branch commissioning age maximum in the Guard and Reserve is still 42. A policy is currently in effect dropping initial enlistment age to 35, which makes the non prior service applicants ceiling at 35.
            Correct!

Didn't see you had posted ahead of me.
            Last edited by RyCass; August 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification on the age. I guess OCS isn't an option for me either :-( I can't get a break. I am sure the age limit for Enlisted or Officer won't go back up any time soon. That is too bad!
              Last edited by robinpugs06; August 10th, 2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Okay I feel a little better now, but the policy changes that I read about supposedly took effect July 17, and the way the article was worded they made it sound like the age limit applied to reserves as well.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                  Yes enlisting as an O9S. I have a college degree and not currently enlisted and non prior service.
                  Congrats on making tape.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    Congrats on making tape.
                    I haven't gone to MEPS yet - waiting on NGB. But since I turn 35 next Saturday it looks like enlisted or officer won't happen. I thought if the officer age was 42 I had a shot but no such luck.

Comment

I had a 09S contract last August, and I had to simply sign the enlistment papers and have a control number for Federal OCS before I turned 35, which I did before attending BCT and OCS. Several weeks later, they dropped the age to 33. My company which graduated 8 days ago at Ft. Benning was the last to have 35-yr-olds and SFCs (active duty) in it.

Comment

Not sure want your college degree is in, but specialty officers (lawyer, health care, and chaplin) still have the 42 year old date for non prior service.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                          Not sure want your college degree is in, but specialty officers (lawyer, health care, and chaplin) still have the 42 year old date for non prior service.
                          Not in any of those :-(
                          B.A. in History and Social Science
                          1/2 of my M.S. in Criminal Justice
                          3/4 of M.S. in Special Education

Comment

What about prior service? I'm 45, 6year prior service, 4 active, 2 reserves, all Army in Supply. I'm also a GS-14 with the U.S. Army right now. Could I still become an officer?

Comment

Originally posted by DCE View Post
                              What about prior service? I'm 45, 6year prior service, 4 active, 2 reserves, all Army in Supply. I'm also a GS-14 with the U.S. Army right now. Could I still become an officer?
                              Even prior service "must" commission prior to age 42. No exceptions or waivers authorized, except for certain specialty branches such as AMEDD and Chaplain.

5. Eligibility Criteria.
                              a. Age.
                              (1) Minimum age. Age for enrollment into any OCS program is 18, if appointment
                              as a commissioned officer at this age is permitted by State law.
                              (2) Maximum age. No one is authorized to be initially appointed in the ARNG once
                              they reach age 42. This is nonwaiverable.
                              Last edited by SF Hunter; October 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X