X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09S Moral Waivers not being accepted?

Hello all, my name is Josh and I'm currently in the process of joining the ARNG. A little background about myself: I am 25 years old and a college graduate (bachelor's degree). I scored a 97 on the ASVAB with a GT of 134. I have already taken the physical at MEPS and passed no problem. In 2005, I was charged with a class B misdemeanor with a $550 fine. I paid the fine and finished my probation with no problems. At first, my recruiter thought that a waiver would be necessary to enlist, but after making some phone calls to some higher-ups in Washington DC, it was decided that none were needed. Though it was my initial plan to enlist, I decided that taking the 09S Officer Candidate route would be the better option for me. However, my recruiter told me that a waiver would be necessary in this case because they have more restrictions for OCS candidates. He then told me that they were not accepting waivers at this time, but would have his commanding officer request from higher that they make an exception in my case. I received a call later from my recruiter saying that there would be no exceptions and no waivers would be accepted, so my best option would be to enlist as an E4 and try to apply for OCS at a later time after I had served in my unit for a while. My recruiter has been very open with me during my entire enlistment process and I don't feel like he would make things up just to get me to enlist, but I just want to confirm with someone else that they are not accepting waivers at this time, and if that is not the case, what might I do to be accepted in the 09S program.

I have no problem enlisting and applying for OCS later if this is my only option; however, it seems like a roundabout way of doing things if there is a chance I could go ahead with the 09S program.

Any help would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance for your thoughts and time.

Re: 09S Moral Waivers not being accepted?

Josh,

The information is accurate, and your recruiter is giving you sound, practical advice. I'd pursue this route. Good luck to you in your military career!

Comment

I think that this might vary from state to state. I am enlisting with an OCS option. I also require a moral waiver. My recruiter never told me the National Guard was not accepting moral waivers but he did make it clear that they could easily deny me if they chose to do so. He never discouraged me and in fact told me he didnít think I would have any problems. Yesterday I received a call from his Major and he conducted an interview with me. He also made it clear that once he submitted my paper work I could still possibly be denied entry to OCS but he also didnít not seem to think I would have any problems. So though I canít actually say that they will accept my moral waiver, I have not had anyone just flat out tell me no or discourage me from going through the process. In fact my recruiter has been very encouraging and recommended to me that I think about OCS. He could have just as easily gotten me to enlist, choose an MOS and been done with me but he didnít. I am sure that your recruiter is giving you accurate information but I donít know if anyone on the forums will be able to give you a clear and cut answer to your question. I am sure that experiences with this situation will vary. I know for me personally if I do not get accepted to OCS I still want to enlist and am still excited for the opportunity to do that. Keep your head up. If OCS doesnít work out for you now, just work hard and maybe down the road it will be in your future. Good luck with your enlistment.

Comment

i had the same thing happen in NJ. See this thread for more information...
        http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...232#post160232

Comment

What this has to do with 09S (officer candidate)?

NYrecruiter will chime in but I think leaving out the reason why you resorted to crime will be best. Just say you made a mistake; provide the court document and simply state why you would make an excellent Soldier in the US Army. Keep the African-American thing out too. We all are Americans.

Comment

Thank you sir for your reply. This is my first time posting on a thread. Do you think with posistive recommendations from the judge and detectives and old school teachers that I would have a good chance at it. I stated the African American part because IM from a racist city in Tennessee and most people look at black people as bad people as it is.

Comment

This is a State by State case. Your State (TN) OSM, Officer Strength Manager will make the determination of whether or not you would make a good 09S Candidate. Much of this will depend on the State's Officer Strength and needs.

Basically, if the TN ARNG isn't in need of Officers then they aren't likely to recommend you for a moral waiver. If you're looking for a definitive answer, you should seek out and ask to speak with the State OSM and plead your case. If he/she tells you no then you will need to look at other options.

In my opinion you should go enlisted first, complete BCT and AIT, serve a year and then, after you experiences you still want to go OCS you can submit your packet. This way you have some knowledge and experience under your belt and are better suited to lead troops. You may find after a year of service you'd rather stay the enlisted route.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                This is a State by State case. Your State (TN) OSM, Officer Strength Manager will make the determination of whether or not you would make a good 09S Candidate. Much of this will depend on the State's Officer Strength and needs.
                Basically, if the TN ARNG isn't in need of Officers then they aren't likely to recommend you for a moral waiver. If you're looking for a definitive answer, you should seek out and ask to speak with the State OSM and plead your case. If he/she tells you no then you will need to look at other options.

In my opinion you should go enlisted first, complete BCT and AIT, serve a year and then, after you experiences you still want to go OCS you can submit your packet. This way you have some knowledge and experience under your belt and are better suited to lead troops. You may find after a year of service you'd rather stay the enlisted route.

Best of luck!!
                It is definitely a state-by-state thing. Sometimes it has to do with getting waivers approved at the NGB level. I know for TN in particular though, they are very strict on the moral waivers and any incidents that occur while you're in as well. We lost several potential candidates (both prior-service and non-prior service) before leaving to Phase I because waivers didn't go through, and we lost two good candidates during the course because of moral things. There's not much slack.

As I said before, even prior-service applicants with moral issues or outstanding waivers made it all the way up to leaving for Phase I and then were denied, so simply enlisting for a while and hoping you get into OCS isn't a guarantee. It is, however, probably your only option at this point.

Comment

Working...
                X