Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
ROTC Scholarship & SMP Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ROTC Scholarship & SMP

    I was wondering if I could recieve an ROTC scholarship and participate in the SMP program at the same time, but not recieve any SMP benefits apart from the time in service. If this isn't possible, am I able to enlist in the ARNG or USAR after I accept a ROTC scholarship? Would this make me non-deployable and would I still recieve time in service? Lastly, if I enlisted in one branch (such as Infantry) would this have any outcome of the branch I want to commission in to (Military Intelligence)? Should SMP cadets enlist in the same branch they want to commission in to?

  • #2
    Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

    The first part of your question makes no sense, and I'm guessing that you have some clever plan that you're trying to arrange. Tell us your goals, and we can give better guidance.

    Your enlisted career field has no formal bearing on your officer branch. As a practical matter, that prior service can often help gain you a social advantage over others, particularly if there are few slots and many applicants. Nevertheless, it's not a compelling enough advantage that I would recommend that you change your plans.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

      Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      The first part of your question makes no sense, and I'm guessing that you have some clever plan that you're trying to arrange. Tell us your goals, and we can give better guidance.

      Your enlisted career field has no formal bearing on your officer branch. As a practical matter, that prior service can often help gain you a social advantage over others, particularly if there are few slots and many applicants. Nevertheless, it's not a compelling enough advantage that I would recommend that you change your plans.
      There is a clever plan haha! I want to do the ARNG through college, but I want college to be paid for. I also want to go active upon commissioning, but it seems that I run into these scenarios: having the Guard pay for school but having to commission into the Guard, and having school paid for by ROTC Scholarship and commissioning active but I can't participate in the Guard during school.

      Is it possible that I can join the Guard before I start college, and still be applicable for ROTC Scholarships?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

        Originally posted by Thompson241 View Post
        There is a clever plan haha! I want to do the ARNG through college, but I want college to be paid for. I also want to go active upon commissioning, but it seems that I run into these scenarios: having the Guard pay for school but having to commission into the Guard, and having school paid for by ROTC Scholarship and commissioning active but I can't participate in the Guard during school.

        Is it possible that I can join the Guard before I start college, and still be applicable for ROTC Scholarships?
        It's not clever if it will not work.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

          I'm having trouble seeing a conflict of interest here though, sir. I can't imagine why I can't partake in the SMP program without any benefits (scholarships, pay, etc.) but have a ROTC scholarship at the same time?

          So if I can't do it, which option looks best for paying for college (in state)?

          1. SMP (using GI Bill and such but no scholarship)
          2. ROTC Scholarship

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

            I wouldn't recommend SMP unless you're going to stay in the NG. You're just going to confuse yourself once you go to active duty.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

              Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              I wouldn't recommend SMP unless you're going to stay in the NG. You're just going to confuse yourself once you go to active duty.
              Please elaborate on this statement. I know several people who were NG SMP while in ROTC, and later went on to become successful active duty officers. Not a one of them ever complained to me about being "confused."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

                I'm confused right now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

                  Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                  Please elaborate on this statement. I know several people who were NG SMP while in ROTC, and later went on to become successful active duty officers. Not a one of them ever complained to me about being "confused."
                  Persistent confusion is inversely correlated to IQ. IQ is positively correlated with the ability to adapt quickly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

                    Originally posted by Thompson241 View Post
                    I'm having trouble seeing a conflict of interest here though, sir. I can't imagine why I can't partake in the SMP program without any benefits (scholarships, pay, etc.) but have a ROTC scholarship at the same time?

                    So if I can't do it, which option looks best for paying for college (in state)?

                    1. SMP (using GI Bill and such but no scholarship)
                    2. ROTC Scholarship
                    The conflict is one of using resources for a purpose other than their intended use. All military incentives carry an obligation of some kind. Some carry broad conditions, whereas some have narrow conditions.

                    1. The generic Army ROTC scholarship carries a service obligation for any component of the Army (active, reserve, National Guard). This scholarship specifically precludes SMP service, although there is a National Guard ROTC scholarship that requires SMP service, but also obligates recipients for National Guard service after commissioning.
                    2. SMP service as such carries no Guard-specific obligation (other than your MSO, which you can serve out as an officer after commissioning in ROTC). SMP service allows the possibility of individuals receiving other Guard-specific incentives, which may or may not carry Guard-specific obligations.
                    3. Look at the messages on my signature block for more specific guidance on these incentives.
                    4. People can get themselves into trouble when they try to be too clever by half. Figure out what's most important to you, and make the sacrifices necessary to get there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

                      Thank you sir, one final scenario for you (promise ):

                      Is it at all possible to join the Guard before contracting with ROTC, but not participate in the SMP program? By joining the Guard before, I would automatically be disqualified from any ROTC scholarship (except the Guard/Reserve ones)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

                        I'm enlisted with the Guard right now and attending ROTC with a university, now when i sign the SMP contract for the Guard will i have to serve any active duty after i Graduate from the university and go into the guard as an officer?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: ROTC Scholarship & SMP

                          Originally posted by eddy2106 View Post
                          I'm enlisted with the Guard right now and attending ROTC with a university, now when i sign the SMP contract for the Guard will i have to serve any active duty after i Graduate from the university and go into the guard as an officer?
                          Yes and No.

                          It depends on if you get a scholarship, what kinds of scholarship you get and how you stand on the OML.

                          The biggest confusion people have is that they think they can do SMP while on an ROTC scholarship. This is only half-true. If you are awarded a GRFD scholarship, you can participate in SMP in either the NG or USAR because you are going to be a Reserve Officer of some sort. If you are awarded a standard 2 -4 year scholarship, you can not participate in SMP. (The only caveat is if you currently are NG and then its up to you. You can continue to serve as SMP cadet or stop with the NG altogether as your scholarship overrides your NG enlistment. You will not be able to continue drilling as an enlisted soldier).

                          Now, all scholarship participants are have a MSO for accepting the scholarship (referred to as "contracting"). You can do ROTC for your MSI and MSII year without contracting, but you can not be an MSIII+ without doing so. In addition, a lot of State TA programs carry an MSO for accepting the benefits, regardless of enlisted or officer service.

                          To answer your question OP, if you accept a GRFD scholarship, you are bound to the NG/USAR after commissioning and you can SMP. If you accept a regular scholarship, you can compete for Active Duty or NG/USAR and you will be assessed based on your OML.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X