X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal OCS vs. Accelerated

The fedrec timing varies by state really. All my fellow candidates were fedrec'd before OCS and my state flew down an LTC to swear us in. We didn't get a big fancy ceremony, but honestly that was fine with me.

23 candidates? Wow. Were there more before a Phase 0? That's the most I've heard of going at once.

Going through Alabama AOCS is somewhat difficult, but at least you get it over with. I did envy the extra time the traditional classes got to soak up learning material, but that was balanced out by the dread you get when going into a drill weekend where you'll be dealing with TACs. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by M-T View Post
      23 candidates? Wow. Were there more before a Phase 0? That's the most I've heard of going at once.
      Well we weren't all Accelerated, just 3 out of 23. We had 60 something in January, and lost them in batches until we got to Phase 0. Then we lost quite a few during Phase 0.

We picked up 3 from the previous class when we started Phase II and have since lost 3, so we're at 20 even right now.

We weren't the largest state during Phase I actually. I think Louisiana and Michigan brought more than we did, like around 30 a piece. Again, I'm sure they weren't all for accelerated though.

Comment

Originally posted by M-T View Post
        The fedrec timing varies by state really. All my fellow candidates were fedrec'd before OCS and my state flew down an LTC to swear us in. We didn't get a big fancy ceremony, but honestly that was fine with me.

Going through Alabama AOCS is somewhat difficult, but at least you get it over with. I did envy the extra time the traditional classes got to soak up learning material, but that was balanced out by the dread you get when going into a drill weekend where you'll be dealing with TACs. Your mileage may vary.
        What was so academically challenging about AOCS or State OCS that extra time would have been beneficial? If someone needed extra time to understand that bobo material OCS teaches, well, then...

Your best options are AOCS or ROTC if you're eligible for either. I would put State OCS dead last if I had the option.

Comment

One benefit to the state OCS option is more time in uniform, especially for 09S. With AOCS you can have a soldier go from street, 10wks BCT and then 8 wks AOCS to leading troops that have been in for years. The extra time in uniform that state OCS provides new soldiers can be very beneficial.

Comment

These anecdotal reports are all matters of personal opinion. All commissioning sources are valid although level of difficulty starts with AOCS and finishes with the general ease of ROTC. I personally dislike the traditional option. It draws out the process of simply basic branching into a multiyear affair, potentially spanning over 3 years! Your contemporaries will be eligible for Captain before you even graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              These anecdotal reports are all matters of personal opinion. All commissioning sources are valid although level of difficulty starts with AOCS and finishes with the general ease of ROTC. I personally dislike the traditional option. It draws out the process of simply basic branching into a multiyear affair, potentially spanning over 3 years! Your contemporaries will be eligible for Captain before you even graduate.
              Based on what I've seen (and jwarren will probably agree), the quality of candidates/cadets seems inverse to the difficulty of the commissioning source. Rutgers ROTC tends to produce the best officers for the state. Second would be AOCS, and lastly, State OCS.

The State OCS option is probably the worst out of all three. It drags out the process. It takes about the same time as ROTC for a prior service candidate, and yet, it leaves the candidate with less options than ROTC.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                Based on what I've seen (and jwarren will probably agree), the quality of candidates/cadets seems inverse to the difficulty of the commissioning source. Rutgers ROTC tends to produce the best officers for the state. Second would be AOCS, and lastly, State OCS.
                I have no problem stating without reservations that Rowan University's ROTC program consistently produces extremely weak officers. I know it's based on a relatively small sample size, but it is the worst commissioning program I have any familiarity with. There is an ocean of difference between Rutgers' cadets/LTs and Rowan's.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                  I have no problem stating without reservations that Rowan University's ROTC program consistently produces extremely weak officers. I know it's based on a relatively small sample size, but it is the worst commissioning program I have any familiarity with. There is an ocean of difference between Rutgers' cadets/LTs and Rowan's.
                  Rutgers sends cadets to the Combat Diver Qualification Course and actually pass. They also send female cadets to Sapper's Leaders Course who also pass and become tabbed.

Despite how weak Rowan's LTs have been, I've seen far weaker LTs from the State OCS program. Many of whom never made it to BOLC and are no longer in the Army.
                  Last edited by Polo08816; October 3rd, 2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I am an applicant with the ca arng, i already took the asvab and medical, and successfully passed them both. I am waiting to receive my mba degree which is scheduled to be done in approximately 8 weeks. I am aware that i must enlist into the 09s ocs program and that upon successful completion of bct, i report to rsp until an ocs class gathers up. I know that there are 3 options, federal ocs, accelerated ocs and traditional ocs. I definitely am joining, just that my only issue is that i would really need to attend federal ocs because of my civilian job. Is there any way of joining and making sure that i am guaranteed federal ocs? Is there anyone that can guide me the right path?

Comment

Originally posted by Egartade View Post
                      I am an applicant with the ca arng, i already took the asvab and medical, and successfully passed them both. I am waiting to receive my mba degree which is scheduled to be done in approximately 8 weeks. I am aware that i must enlist into the 09s ocs program and that upon successful completion of bct, i report to rsp until an ocs class gathers up. I know that there are 3 options, federal ocs, accelerated ocs and traditional ocs. I definitely am joining, just that my only issue is that i would really need to attend federal ocs because of my civilian job. Is there any way of joining and making sure that i am guaranteed federal ocs? Is there anyone that can guide me the right path?
                      It's been said many times before, but you would need to contact the RTI and find out if/how they send people to AOCS or FOCS. AOCS is 8 weeks. FOCS is 12 weeks. You really need a convincing case of why they should send you to FOCS instead of AOCS. Also, you better not be an injury prone person if you are to go to either AOCS or FOCS.

Comment

Thank you Sir.

Comment

Working...
                        X