Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about joining the guard but have multiple questions.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about joining the guard but have multiple questions.

I am thinking about joining the guard in order to do the SMP Option. I haven't been to the details about this program and would like to know them. Also, I want to go active duty upon commissioning. Is this a realistic possibility after being the guard smp option? Also, my recruiter and I have talked about an 11B - Airborne slot. I was told that this means I will go to BCT then to Infantry AIT and then Immediately to Jump School. Is this true?

Re: Thinking about joining the guard but have multiple questions.

The Simulatenous Membership Program is designed for 09Rs (ROTC Cadets) to gain valuable leadership experience with a reserve unit during their contracted years of the program. You can be an SMP cadet with the National Guard, and after completion and commissioning enter into active duty. We need to know a little bit more about you to give you better advice, but if you are currently attending college, you don't have to do a traditional enlistment with BCT, and AIT at all.

Comment

Mongoose is correct! I would also recommend taking a look at the National Guard website for a general idea on how the SMP works. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/MtFuEc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        The Simulatenous Membership Program is designed for 09Rs (ROTC Cadets) to gain valuable leadership experience with a reserve unit during their contracted years of the program. You can be an SMP cadet with the National Guard, and after completion and commissioning enter into active duty. We need to know a little bit more about you to give you better advice, but if you are currently attending college, you don't have to do a traditional enlistment with BCT, and AIT at all.
        How does TIS (Time in Service) work in this case?

Comment

His time in service for the purposes of longevity (re pay scale/reserve retirement assuming a good year) starts the year he enlists as an SMP. So a newly commissioned 2LT who performed 2 years as a SMP in the Guard would be paid as a O1 w/2years service.

Comment

Ok..I'm thinking about joining the guard but i had questions as well...i am 20 yrs old and i have a 1 yr old daughter...I was wondering does the guard provide any type of help to my mom if she cares for my daughter while i'm away....And what if any types of benefits will my mom and daughter recieve....

Comment

Working...
            X