Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commissioning with 90 Credits (How much time does the Nat'l Guard give me to graduate?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissioning with 90 Credits (How much time does the Nat'l Guard give me to graduate?)

I have 90 credits and I am all set to swear in next week as an 09S Officer Candidate. But I read somewhere that I have a year after being commissioned to finish my degree. Is that true? Am I commissioned after I finish OCS (I plan on going the fast route 8 weeks)? Or am I not truly "commissioned" until after I finish leadership training for whatever area they assign me to? I was assuming I was officially commissioned after OCS. Depending on how long leadership training is I may not be able to graduate within the year time frame. Please clear this up for me, cause I do NOT want to take OCS the long way. Thanks!!!

Re: Commissioning with 90 Credits (How much time does the Nat'l Guard give me to graduate?)

Per NGR (AR) 600-100,

9-7. Promotion

e. Effective 1 October 1995, no person may be Federally Recognized in a grade above first lieutenant unless that person has been awarded a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, except a person who is appointed in a health profession for which a baccalaureate degree is not a condition of original appointment.

Someone else can probably answer this better than I can, but to me it looks like you basically cannot be promoted to CPT unless you complete your degree. So you probably have a good 3-4 years to complete your degree.

You are commissioned a 2LT after OCS (so long as you actually take a vacancy, you can hold for up to 2 years but that's another story), but once you accept that commission you must complete your branch specific BOLC within 2 years to maintain it.

Comment

Re: Commissioning with 90 Credits (How much time does the Nat'l Guard give me to graduate?)

That was perfect, except a O9S applicant (as opposed to a currently serving enlisted O9S), has 12 months from commissioning to attend BOLC.

Comment

Great news! Thank you both!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          That was perfect, except a O9S applicant (as opposed to a currently serving enlisted O9S), has 12 months from commissioning to attend BOLC.
          Thought is was 2 years to complete? Either way, the larger issue being that you cannot be promoted to 1LT (18 months) without being branch qualified. So if you wait too long and seeing how most BOLCs are 4-6 months long, the two come really close. In my branch and my state they try or prefer you to go to an AT before OBC so you have some field experience and see how the pieces all work together. Makes learning material easier if you have some background info on how it is applied.

Comment

Working...
          X