Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be deployed?

Hello,
    I am interesting in finding out process in which to become an officer in National Guard. I qualify for all the basic requirements. I am a prior service and VFW. Here is my question. But, before you make your judgement on what may seem to be an inconsiderate question, do know that I am fully aware of the fact that we are at war and I believe every patriots must join hands and support those abroad. However, personally, I am now a father of wonderful children and if there's a slight chance that I might be deployed overseas, I would like to continue my support as a civilian and not join. That said, I am wondering is there any officer position in Corps of Engineers (I have bachelor's in civil engineering) that guarantee a permanent position here in US without possibility of oversea deployment? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

Re: Will I be deployed?

Fewer and fewer people are being deployed these days. By the time you complete OCS the 18 month state ocs and branch training the war in Afghanistan will be over. There will always be a chance that you will be deployed. Maybe you should apply for a contractor position.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36
      If you enlist, you COULD deploy, regardless of MOS or branch. Period.

Thank you for your support and enjoy the 4th of July with your family.
      This is not entirely true. There are non-deployable units. Such as the one I'm in now.

Comment

What does I am prior service and VFW mean? Were you in Iraq or Afghanistan or a member based on Kuwait or Korea service? I was a member of the VFW eons ago based on my Korean service. Now my Iraq/Afghanistan has been added.

Expect the unexpected.

I have two wonderful daughters and my youngest was born when I was in Iraq and I been away from my oldest on three deployments. If it is an issue for you; then remain a civilian.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          What does I am prior service and VFW mean? Were you in Iraq or Afghanistan or a member based on Kuwait or Korea service? I was a member of the VFW eons ago based on my Korean service. Now my Iraq/Afghanistan has been added.

Expect the unexpected.

I have two wonderful daughters and my youngest was born when I was in Iraq and I been away from my oldest on three deployments. If it is an issue for you; then remain a civilian.

I too served in the Corps. I did tours in '95~'98. Location unspecific. But I was out before the 9/11, so I've always supported troops and veterans as a fellow veteran in a civilian world. I see your location is currently based in Afgan. We thank you for all of your hard work and commitment. I also thank you for truthful reply to my thread. In fact, I appreciate all kind responses I've received so quickly. I will take all of your suggestion into my decision making. Tell you what though, I sure am getting soft and old. I used to couldn't wait to pack up my seabag and jump on the plane...

"Expect the unexpected", check.

Semper Fi
          Last edited by Nemesis; July 4th, 2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            This is not entirely true. There are non-deployable units. Such as the one I'm in now.
            While your unit may not be deployable, as long as you're MOS/Branch qualified, you are deployable.

Comment

of'course....but with all the volunteers the percentage is small.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                of'course....but with all the volunteers the percentage is small.
                I'm not quite convinced. Are the BCTs that are being deployed today being constituted by volunteers? (I don't think so.) The point is that if the OP does not want to deploy, the only guarantee he has of that is to not join.

Comment

Honestly, you probably don't need to get back in. Look for civilian jobs that support military operations and leave wearing the uniform to the warfighters. There are too many people getting in for the benefits that aren't willing to make the sacrifice to deploy. When it comes up and you're working to get out of it, you'll make yourself look bad and set a poor example for the enlisted troops that see a leader shirking away from deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
                    That said, I am wondering is there any officer position in Corps of Engineers (I have bachelor's in civil engineering) that guarantee a permanent position here in US without possibility of oversea deployment?
                    No. There is never a guarentee of not deploying. And those who constantly side step it are looked down upon by many.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      No. There is never a guarantee of not deploying. And those who constantly side step it are looked down upon by many.
                      Agreed. If you put on the uniform, you must be prepared to complete whatever mission you are called to do.

There are many organizations out there that support the Troops. Have you thought about participating in a local Family Readiness Group? It's a great way to stay involved with Soldiers on a regular basis. Plus, you'll likely meet other families that share your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                      X