X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09S Training Timeframe

Hello everyone. I've been reading through the forums for the last few weeks to learn as much as I can before enlisting. I'm looking to sign sometime towards the end of the summer.

The one thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the 09S timeframe. I have a family at home and we all understand there will be time away, I'd like to know up front what to expect. At least outside of a deployment scenario.

I understand BCT will be 10 weeks and officer training begins sometime in March and ending in August of the following yeear.

My specific questions are:

How long should I expect to wait from the time I sign to going to BCT? I know you probably can't give exacts but approximately?

After BCT, what/where I will be doing until March?

After the 18 months what is the normal training schedule for BOLC I and II? And how long should I expect them to last? When would I do AIT or is that part of BOLC??

Thanks in advance for your help. I am married with a 5 month old at home so I'd like to be able to nail down the timeframes as close as possible. At least for the next few years, I'd like to avoid any surprises.

If it helps... I graduated with a BS in Comp Sci and work in Financial Services/Insurance and 33 years old. NJ Resident.

Re: 09S Training Timeframe

Originally posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been reading through the forums for the last few weeks to learn as much as I can before enlisting. I'm looking to sign sometime towards the end of the summer.

The one thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the 09S timeframe. I have a family at home and we all understand there will be time away, I'd like to know up front what to expect. At least outside of a deployment scenario.

I understand BCT will be 10 weeks and officer training begins sometime in March and ending in August of the following yeear.

My specific questions are:

How long should I expect to wait from the time I sign to going to BCT? I know you probably can't give exacts but approximately?

After the 18 months what is the normal training schedule for BOLC I and II? And how long should I expect them to last? When would I do AIT or is that part of BOLC??

Thanks in advance for your help. I am married with a 5 month old at home so I'd like to be able to nail down the timeframes as close as possible. At least for the next few years, I'd like to avoid any surprises.

If it helps... I graduated with a BS in Comp Sci and work in Financial Services/Insurance and 33 years old. NJ Resident.
    I waited about 5 months between signing and going to BCT, and I think that was a little longer than normal. Really, it's going to be up to you. They asked when I wanted to ship, and I needed to wait until after summer was over in order to get things squared away at work, and they accomodated that. I got the impression that I could have gone much earlier.

For after BCT, that's going to depend on your state. Some states have RSP-O programs, I believe. For me, I went to my unit and drilled there until the Phase 0 pre-OCS drills started. I followed a 2LT and a cadet around learning from them.

After your 18 months of Traditional OCS, you'll drill with your newly assigned unit until you can get into a BOLC B class. Those classes vary quite a bit in length depending on the branch. FABOLC was 18.5 weeks, for example. Others are longer or shorter. I think IBOLC is around 14 weeks. As a 09S, you don't do AIT.

Comment

Re: 09S Training Timeframe

For me, I signed on the dotted line on 29 August 2011 and shipped out on 17 October 2011. It was quite a quick turnaround and I'm definitely not the example case here. I saw plenty of others wait 3-8 months to go, and some went weeks within signing. It really depends on time of year you contract, etc. A recruiter should be able to give you a ROM on that time table. I graduated BCT on 20 January, and turned right around and went to my first OCOP drill the very next weekend from 27-29 January. I just completed Phase I and have my first Phase II (Traditional) drill this weekend.

My state has a program they call OCOP, or Officer Candidate Orientation Program. You could equate this to what I've seen others talk about as RSP-O which is an RSP designed just for Officer Candidates. Difference here was that all of us across the state that were attempting OCS (prior service and 09S like me) were brought together for 3 months prior to actual OCS Pre-Phase beginning. It's primary goal was to administratively prepare us for Pre-Phase, but we did do ruck marches, ensured we had all the packing list equipment/gear, and did classes on Land Navigation. Call it a pre-vetting phase. We started with nearly 60 people in January 2012 and ended up with 35 when it came time to start Pre-Phase. And by the time we were shipping to Phase I, we were down to 23.

knelson's been there done that, so that answer is spot on. You can call it 18 months with Pre-Phase, but between Phases I and III you're looking at 12 months of "real" OCS. OCS is your BOLC I. BOLC II is for whatever branch you assess in to, which varies greatly dependent upon your branch. Do some Googling and other searches in the forums and you'll get an idea about how long the BOLC is for any given branch. Officers do not do AIT and that is essentially what BOLC II, or your branch specific BOLC, is.

Comment

Working...
      X