Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to become an officer in the Guard, can't decide between Engineering or MI

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to become an officer in the Guard, can't decide between Engineering or MI

I'm currently active duty and have a degree but will be going back to school for a masters. I'm looking to become an officer in the Guard while I do that. I have narrowed down my choice of branches between MI or Engineering. One big factor for me is the length of training for both. I know I'd go to OCS then the basic officers courses for either branch, but how long are those? Is there an advanced course I'd have to go to? If so how long is that? Would it be split up or back to back?

Thank You
    SGT Whaley

Re: Looking to become an officer in the Guard, can't decide between Engineering or MI

You do know that you may not get either of those choices. Have you talked to a OSM in the state that you are looking to transfer to?

Comment

Re: Looking to become an officer in the Guard, can't decide between Engineering or MI

Yes, I do know that, but if for some reason I can't branch one of those two I'll either find another branch I might like, stay enlisted, or just not join the guard.

Comment

You may not know for sure what you end up branching until you're close to finished with OCS. That's how it works in a few states that I'm aware of. Sometimes you're able to secrue a para/line # prior to OCS, but at least in Texas, that doesn't guarantee you'll end up filling that slot.

Like fmcityslicker said, you're best bet is to contact an OSM in the state you're looking to transfer to and find out how branching in that state works.

Comment

I'm getting information on that right now, I'm really just trying to find out how long the training is for the jobs.

Comment

Here is the AKO page for EBOLC. You need to use your CAC.

https://www.us.army.mil/suite/page/648852

Comment

Looks like MIBOLC is 4 months and EBOLC is 4.5 months.

Comment

I remember recently reading MI BOLC is 6 months, but i could be wrong. In any event, MI is in FT Huachuca, Arizona and EBOLC is 17 weeks in FT Leanard Wood, Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by yourmyboybh1026 View Post
                  I'm getting information on that right now, I'm really just trying to find out how long the training is for the jobs.
                  Not trying to put you down, but if that's how you're deciding what to do with your NG career, you may want to rethink the National Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    Not trying to put you down, but if that's how you're deciding what to do with your NG career, you may want to rethink the National Guard.
                    Well, this isn't my first rodeo. I have my reasons for choosing these two job choices, and the reason I'd like to know how long the training is and what its like is so I can plan my masters around it. It will also give me some information when I go talk to the reserve career counselor.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      Here is the AKO page for EBOLC. You need to use your CAC.

https://www.us.army.mil/suite/page/648852
                      Thank You, thats what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                      X