Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLRP 09S & AGR (Is Army Reserve Better than Nat'l Guard?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRP 09S & AGR (Is Army Reserve Better than Nat'l Guard?)

I have every intention of swearing in next month (July 2012) with the National Guard (I'll have my 90 credit hours then). I'm definitely not doing this for money, but I want to make sure I'm maximizing my benefits & options as well. With that being said, the SLRP is my 2nd biggest issue (the 1st is a long term career in the military). I've been told that the Nat'l Guard makes one payment a year on student loans, but Army Reserve said they will pay off all past student loans at one time (right after I graduate from BCT). I was still willing to go to Nat'l Guard for two reasons. I have more personal ties to people in the National Guard (& my recruiter has worked so hard with me) and I was interested in possibly going AGR (I heard going AGR in Army Reserve would require me to move like active duty soldiers & the wife is not interested in that). In reading other military paperwork I think I read that if I were to go AGR I would become inelligible for SLRP. Is this true? But if I can't go AGR for my first 6 year duty, I'm starting to wonder if I might as well go army reserve and have my loans paid off ASAP. Can anybody shed light on this? Is AGR out of the question if I'm receiving the SLRP incentive? ~Say it ain't so.

Re: SLRP 09S & AGR (Is Army Reserve Better than Nat'l Guard?)

Originally posted by EdWelch View Post
    I have every intention of swearing in next month (July 2012) with the National Guard (I'll have my 90 credit hours then). I'm definitely not doing this for money, but I want to make sure I'm maximizing my benefits & options as well. With that being said, the SLRP is my 2nd biggest issue (the 1st is a long term career in the military). I've been told that the Nat'l Guard makes one payment a year on student loans, but Army Reserve said they will pay off all past student loans at one time (right after I graduate from BCT). I was still willing to go to Nat'l Guard for two reasons. I have more personal ties to people in the National Guard (& my recruiter has worked so hard with me) and I was interested in possibly going AGR (I heard going AGR in Army Reserve would require me to move like active duty soldiers & the wife is not interested in that). In reading other military paperwork I think I read that if I were to go AGR I would become inelligible for SLRP. Is this true? But if I can't go AGR for my first 6 year duty, I'm starting to wonder if I might as well go army reserve and have my loans paid off ASAP. Can anybody shed light on this? Is AGR out of the question if I'm receiving the SLRP incentive? ~Say it ain't so.
    Based on what I have heard, many of the officer AGR positions are for CPTs and above. Sure, I have seen a few AGR 1LTs, but there do not seem to be as many. With that said, I would not count on being able to secure an AGR position. For many, an AGR position is highly desired but there are only so many (or rather, few) slots to go around. They will probably be offered to those that have been in for a while and have developed far more extensive networks than you have.

As for the SLRP situation with AGR, I'm not sure.

Comment

In reading other military paperwork I think I read that if I were to go AGR I would become inelligible for SLRP. Is this true?
      You're going to have to take my word on this one. I say this because the paperwork you will sign is going to say acceptance of an AGR position stops the SLRP benefit. However, the most current guidance (which has been in place for a few years) allows you to retain the SLRP if you didn't enlist for the sole purpose of AGR (as in directly into an AGR job which rarely ever happens). You are going to get mixed answers, but I am telling you, you will keep it. I have many of friends and have read the guidance myself who fall into this category.

On a side note, understand that it could be many years before you can get an AGR job. Most are at least E-5 jobs, and the most common MOS's are 42A and 92Y

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. An AGR position would be icing on the cake for me. But I've never been in the military (& I already have a really good career), so this won't make or break anything for me.

Comment

To add, I would recommend looking at AR 135-7, Chapter 5.1. More specifically:

SLRP will be terminated:
          "h. If a soldier is ordered to AD in an AGR status under 10 USC 12301(d), SLRP eligibility will be terminated if—
          (1) This is the soldier’s initial entry on AD, and
          (2) He or she is enrolled in the active duty entitlement portion of the Montgomery GI Bill per chapter 10 of this
          regulation.
          i. Was attending high school at time of enlistment and does not become a secondary school graduate within the
          required time frame (para 1–7.1b).
          j. Transfers to the ARNGUS except where the soldier’s current USAR unit is reorganized, relocated, redesigned,
          inactivated, or converted (para 1–14.1), or where the transfer has been approved by the Chief National Guard Bureau."

Comment

Working...
          X