X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Officer Loan repayment?

For clarification, are you saying Air National Guard (ANG) or do you mean Army National Guard (ARNG)? I cannot speak of the Air Guard, if that's your question.

Also, are you asking if you are able to receive any incentives with an ROTC scholarship?

Comment

Sorry for the error, I am joining the Army National Guard. Also, to better clarify, I am currently receiving an Active Duty scholarship through ROTC; I am not prior enlisted. I am joining Signal Corp, and I am obtaining a MA in History.

My question was with regards to my recruiter if he was correct by informing me that the Army National Guard would not pay for my student loans. Is he correct? Do I qualify for any other incentive?

Comment

FYI - For anyone that doesn't already know - I've been told by numerous sources (do not ask) that I would lose my SLRP from my enlisted contract if I became a commissioned officer. However, I was just informed today that the only way I would lose my SLRP is if I decided to go AGR, which I don't plan to do for a number of years anyway. I'm not done with full-time work civilian side.

Comment

Originally posted by zizka1 View Post
          Sorry for the error, I am joining the Army National Guard. Also, to better clarify, I am currently receiving an Active Duty scholarship through ROTC; I am not prior enlisted. I am joining Signal Corp, and I am obtaining a MA in History.

My question was with regards to my recruiter if he was correct by informing me that the Army National Guard would not pay for my student loans. Is he correct? Do I qualify for any other incentive?
          Sorry for the late response! Yes, your recruiter is correct. You would not be eligible for SLRP, not because you want to become an Officer, but because you are receiving a scholarship for ROTC; a no go for this incentive. Now, for arguments sake, (and for others who think they are in a similar situation), if you DIDN'T have a scholarship from ROTC, you COULD get SLRP in your contract and have your loans repaid. The only thing to keep in mind with this scenario, is that you could not get an extension for your SLRP if you needed; this is due to being a Commissioned Officer.

But, like I said, this is hypothetical. For your situation, you are disqualified due to your scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            FYI - For anyone that doesn't already know - I've been told by numerous sources (do not ask) that I would lose my SLRP from my enlisted contract if I became a commissioned officer. However, I was just informed today that the only way I would lose my SLRP is if I decided to go AGR, which I don't plan to do for a number of years anyway. I'm not done with full-time work civilian side.
            It's a common misconception about Commissioning; one I had to look up and verify, myself. The bottom line is, an O9S applicant, ROTC Cadet, or Enlisted applicant/PS that gets it into their contract BEFORE commissioning is generally eligible (barring accepting other incentives). What can confuse the issue is that an Officer extending their contract is NOT eligible for this incentive with their new contract because they are already Commissioned. Make sense?

Be sure to check out the Benefits sticky on SLRP for a good synopsis of this incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              It's a common misconception about Commissioning; one I had to look up and verify, myself. The bottom line is, an O9S applicant, ROTC Cadet, or Enlisted applicant/PS that gets it into their contract BEFORE commissioning is generally eligible (barring accepting other incentives). What can confuse the issue is that an Officer extending their contract is NOT eligible for this incentive with their new contract because they are already Commissioned. Make sense?

Be sure to check out the Benefits sticky on SLRP for a good synopsis of this incentive.
              It's good to know. However, and unfortunately, there are sources out there that will even go so far as to explain to soldiers the process they have to go through in order to change over an enlisted SLRP to an officer SLRP. Good sources mind you. And I'm not bad mouthing anyone or trying to step on anyone's toes. It's just always good for soldiers to verify and cross reference any and all information they are given no matter the pay grade of the individual(s) the information is gotten from or what their job title is. I've listened to many complex, nightmarish ordeals from other soldiers, ones that have even lost rank, that could have been easily avoided if they had done a little research beforehand.

I would estimate that 40% of the information I've been given in person from higher ranking individuals has either been proven false or misleading after having checked with this discussion board and cross referenced with several others.
              Last edited by VICEROY06; December 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                It's good to know. However, and unfortunately, there are sources out there that will even go so far as to explain to soldiers the process they have to go through in order to change over an enlisted SLRP to an officer SLRP. Good sources mind you. And I'm not bad mouthing anyone or trying to step on anyone's toes. It's just always good for soldiers to verify and cross reference any and all information they are given no matter the pay grade of the individual(s) the information is gotten from or what their job title is. I've listened to many complex, nightmarish ordeals from other soldiers, ones that have even lost rank, that could have been easily avoided if they had done a little research beforehand.

I would estimate that 40% of the information I've been given in person from higher ranking individuals has either been proven false or misleading after having checked with this discussion board and cross referenced with several others.
                Yeah, it's actually understandable because with this year, alone, there have been some significant changes to all the incentives offered. Unless someone is current on all the updates, it's easy to get mixed up.

The wisest thing an applicant can do is research, ask questions, and then ask for verification.

Comment

I have a question, I did ROTC on a 2 year scholarship. I commissioned as an 11A in the NG, and completed a 4 year ADOS tour with the 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley, deploying twice. I am curious if I am eligible for the SLRP or any amount of loan repayment assistance? I currently have 2 years left with my obligation. Any advice or POC's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Looks like this thread has taken a slightly different turn, but I wanted to check in with an update. Since my original post I've completed BCT, am currently drilling with OH RTI in preparation for OCS this summer. It turns out my poor recruiting experience was the result of running into a poor recruiter, and nothing more. I have had great experiences since then, and can't wait to commission, branch, and start doing my job. I never expected to like the military this much. Shoulda joined years ago.

Comment

BTW: I just got the paperwork to submit for SLRP. Apparently though, you have to do branch training in an area that is understaffed or you can lose it.

Comment

Working...
                      X