Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Loan repayment?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to join as an officer, but my recruiter keeps trying to get me to join as enlisted. His latest argument is that the ARNG no longer offers loan repayment for new officers, only certain enlisted MOS's. It's not all about the money, I'm just not sure he's being straight with me. Anyone know what's up?

Re: Officer Loan repayment?

Gardner,

That is absolutely inaccruate.

There is a 09S (Officer Candidate) Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) in effect.
    National Guard Bureau Policy is for FY 2012 from June 5th - September 30th. Memorandum is dated 17 April 2012.
    You can view the incentives document itself (be prepared the rules for the SLRP are a little overwhelming) at http://www.njarmyguard.com/_attachme...rip%20fy12.pdf

Page 49 (paragraph 18) is what you are looking for. Feel free to print and show your recruiter. Please keep us updated.

Comment

Thanks Mongoose,

That's exactly what I needed. It looks like the only possible scenario wherein he might be right is if the state of Ohio cut funding for SLRP. I think I found the place to get that info.

Comment

Gardner,

Barring a direct commission, if you want to be an officer, you'll come in as an 09S, right?

ARNG has not offered Student Loan Repayment to basic branch officers because the law does not allow it (there is loan repayment for Chaplains and Healthcare folks, though).

To get what you want, enlist as 09S, go to BCT, then OCS. That's the only way to have SLRP as a basic branch officer.

You have to have at least 90 credit hours (para 18a(11)), though.

If you are planning to continue your school, be sure to ask your Officer Recruiter for the commissioning kicker - that's $350 instead of the normal $200.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I made a pest of myself to the state recruiting office (OH), and my local recruiter conceded that SLRP was available for 09S, but that I wouldn't score high enough on the ASVAB to qualify for 09S. I scored 97, and then he said I wouldn't pass the physical. I passed the physical. I went in today for a briefing prior to swearing in next Wednesday, and had to talk to yet another recruiter (3rd one) who again tried to push me into becoming a truck driver, and magically the term of enlistment on the 09S went from 6+2 IRR to 8+0. They also managed to lose my application and my son's birth certificate. In trying to verify whether any of the things they say are true, I found that the ARNG will not pay my loans back until I've completed OCS, though the recruiters told me payment would begin one year after my swearing in. I'm doing traditional OCS, which will be roughly 15 months. So will they pay then, or after BOLC? Furthermore, There was no mention of BOLC until I asked today. the only info I got on that was what I already knew; that it likely means a trip to Ft. Leonard Wood after OCS. Unfortunately, no one could tell me whether Phase 1 and 2 happen one after the other, or whether they are done separately, and three months was the best guess on length.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in simply wanting to know what I'm signing up for. Do I just have bad recruiters? At this point I know I'm qualified for this program, but I'm beginning to fear that the elusiveness of specific information will ultimately mean I get screwed. I've been reading some horror stories other places on this forum about SLRP not coming through even though it was in the contract. My brother was ARNG, went to Iraq and Louisiana after Katrina, and his advice was join the Air Force. I'm frustrated enough that I might take him up on it.

Thanks,
          Alex

Comment

I am sorry about your poor experience. Unfortunately, many enlisted recruiters are not familiar with the officer accession process.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like a more detailed explaination of the process, your options and what you can expect.

D. Landers
            2LT, MEARNG
            Gold Bar Recruiter
            (207) 745-2552
            (207) 430-6216

Comment

*Subscribed to thread for later research*

Comment

Finally got everything straightened out. I swore in yesterday as 09S, SLRP Annex to my contract, and I ship to Basic August 27. It was a hassle, but now I'm getting excited. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardner0 View Post
                  Finally got everything straightened out. I swore in yesterday as 09S, SLRP Annex to my contract, and I ship to Basic August 27. It was a hassle, but now I'm getting excited. Thanks for all the help.
                  When does the Guard start to repay you student loans? Is it when you join? Complete OCS? or when you complete BOLC? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ussid3504 View Post
                    When does the Guard start to repay you student loans? Is it when you join? Complete OCS? or when you complete BOLC? Thank you
                    I've made a sticky outlining the more recent details about the O9S SLRP. Here's a direct link: O9S SLRP.

To answer your question, an applicant becomes eligible to receive this incentive upon commissioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardner0 View Post
                      This is my very first post aren't you excited for me? I am in Ohio, so curious - are officer candidates here ineligible for SLRP due to appropriation reductions? I am interested in joining, but have lingering questions such as this. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Motivator View Post
                        This is my very first post aren't you excited for me? I am in Ohio, so curious - are officer candidates here ineligible for SLRP due to appropriation reductions? I am interested in joining, but have lingering questions such as this. Thanks in advance.
                        Welcome to the forum! I can only speculate WHY Officer applicants aren't qualified, in general, for SLRP. Be sure to check out the sticky link posted above. There's some situations where an O9S applicant can get SLRP.

Comment

I am a soon to be commissioning officer out of ROTC into a NG unit in the state of Michigan. Am I reading this thread correctly to understand that any basic branch officers who are not affiliated with OCS are effectively ineligible for SLRP?

Comment

Originally posted by zizka1 View Post
                            I am a soon to be commissioning officer out of ROTC into a NG unit in the state of Michigan. Am I reading this thread correctly to understand that any basic branch officers who are not affiliated with OCS are effectively ineligible for SLRP?
                            Not exactly. ROTC Cadets are not exempt from SLRP because they did not take the OCS route, as you are suggesting. They can participate providing they meet the general requirements; one of them being not accepting an ROTC scholarship.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to have the SLRP incentive stated in your initial contract. Otherwise, you won't qualify for it once you receive your Commission. Refer to the sticky link posted above as well as the one for SLRP and consult your recruiter/ROTC Cadre to get a final determination of your options.
                            Last edited by RyCass; December 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately, I am on a ROTC scholarship but it was an Active Duty scholarship and after my accessions I chose to go into the ANG. So I have not received any incentives or scholarships from the ANG, but my recruiter said I would still not be able to receive one. Is my recruiter correct or is there another way around this?

EDIT: I'll be commissioning as a 25A if that is of any help.
                              Last edited by zizka1; December 5th, 2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X