X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in Traditional OCS in Texas

I think I may have originally posted this in the wrong forum.

Serving my country is all I have ever wanted to do. Out of high school, I decided I was going to go to college first and become an officer. I didn't do my homework and found out my school didn't have Army ROTC. I worked full time and went to school full time. This left little time for P.T. By the time I graduated, I couldn't make weight. I got a civilian job, got married, and had a kid. I'm 31 now and had thought I had lost my chance to serve. A few months ago a new coworker of mine, an Army reservist, told me it wasn't too late. I couldn't believe it. I've dedicated myself to losing the weight needed in order to be able to join up. I've made significant progress, but still have quite a bit of work to do. My reservist coworker has helped me out and we are running together everyday.

I have several questions about the OCS process in Texas. It's my understanding that Texas doesn't send candidates to Federal OCS. The 09S process seems to be best. I am more concerned with becoming the best officer I can be, so I am in no rush. Also, the student loan repayment benefit would be nice as well. I understand that Phase 0 starts every March. When does the selection process begin every year? I would have to attend BCT and get back in time for Phase 0, right? Today, I still can't make weight, but I am down 25 lbs in 7 weeks. Should I wait until I am ready to go to Meps to start the process? Can I get the ASVAB out of the way now?

I am absolutely determined to do this, if the Texas Army National Guard will have me. Any help or a friendly point in the right direction will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by JasonB115; 44 Minutes Ago at 01:48 PM.
    Last edited by JasonB115; June 3rd, 2012, 07:38 PM.

Re: Interested in Traditional OCS in Texas

You should start right now, and to begin initiate an online "path to honor" pre-qualification application @ http://www.nationalguard.com/car

If you are serious, spend the time and fill out the application IN ITS ENTIRETY. Otherwise the local Recruiter will not have the ability to visualize your application and know to contact you.

The induction process can be longer than you might expect and starting now is wise, if you qualify at all. I can't speak about Texas's Phase 0 program. We conduct 2 phase 0 courses each year (1 every six months), but states can be different and Texas has a nearly Division sized ARNG. Good luck in your weight loss and in reaching your goals.

Comment

I attempted to do so, but didn't get far. I'm not currently qualified due to my weight, so I wasn't even able to create a path to honor account. I hope to hear from a recruiter, but wouldn't be suprised if I didn't. In any case, objective one is to lose the weight and I will do it. Thank you sir for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonB115 View Post
        I attempted to do so, but didn't get far. I'm not currently qualified due to my weight, so I wasn't even able to create a path to honor account. I hope to hear from a recruiter, but wouldn't be suprised if I didn't. In any case, objective one is to lose the weight and I will do it. Thank you sir for your reply.
        If the path to honor doesnt work, just say forget it and go in tomorrow to your local recruiter and at least get your name down in his book. That just takes the technical side out of it. either way, the recruiter will get to you.. he will only do it faster if you just stop in

Comment

You can find a local recruiter through 1-800-GO-GUARD as well. If you're trying to lose weight, be sure to check out the fitness section on nationalguard.com. There's a fitness calculator on there to help you determine how much weight you'll need to lose for your height and age. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/L1Jfga. Be sure to check out the fitness threads here on the forum as well. If you're dedicated, you'll reach your goal!

Comment

Keep up the hard work on the weight loss! We need all the good, motivated officers we can get in Texas! If you've got any questions on some of the specifics of the Texas Traditional OCS program, hit me up on PM. I graduated last August from the course.

Comment

When you get in contact with a recruiter, talk to them about FOCS vs. Traditional. I'm with TARNG and I was accepted into the FOCS program when some slots opened up. You are correct about the Traditional program. You will have to go to BCT and finish by March in order to start the OCS program next year.

I lost 60 lbs in order to enlist. I used a well-balanced, fast-results based program available at mybodymakeover.com I would suggest upping the calories if you follow a military PT routine vs. their workouts. I had a couple of bad weeks before I realized I was consuming too few calories for my output.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardsNL View Post
                When you get in contact with a recruiter, talk to them about FOCS vs. Traditional. I'm with TARNG and I was accepted into the FOCS program when some slots opened up. You are correct about the Traditional program. You will have to go to BCT and finish by March in order to start the OCS program next year.

I lost 60 lbs in order to enlist. I used a well-balanced, fast-results based program available at mybodymakeover.com I would suggest upping the calories if you follow a military PT routine vs. their workouts. I had a couple of bad weeks before I realized I was consuming too few calories for my output.

I thought Texas didn't send Candidates to Federal OCS. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to that, since I would likely already be at Fort Benning for BCT anyway. I have already finished my degree, so I guess that could be an option.

I've been monitoring my caloric intake with myfitnesspal.com. It put me at 2400 calories per day plus whatever I burn in exercise. Taking out what I burn, I've been averaging about 2100 calories/day. The program will tell you if you are eating too few calories. I'm 5'9", but at 18 I weighed 220 lbs and was 15% body fat. I'm a tape guy all the way. In all, I will have to lose between 80-100 pounds, but I'm already at the quarter pole in 7 weeks. I've been running with a coworker who is in the Army Reserve. He is a former 11B that went 35F we he reenlisted. The weight is coming off fairly steadily. I did my first mile in 9 minutes yesterday. (I know, that isn't a superhuman feat, but two weeks ago I was in the 11's) As for the rest of the APFT, I have the opposite problem of most. Pushups aren't really a concern. If I can do 25 pushups at 290, I'm certain I can do 75 when I get to 220 or so. Situps are killing me right now. I imagine they will improve drastically with a reduction in gut. The way I figure it, when I can score a 240 on the APFT, it will be time to enlist. I'm not interested in just passing the 1-1-1. I'll already be the old man at BCT, so I don't need to stand out any further. I intend on passing my first assessment. Do I get the benefit of my age for the APFT during basic, or will I have to make the same results as the kids? I understand after basic, the requirements are reduced the older one is.

thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

I'll already be the old man at BCT, so I don't need to stand out any further. I intend on passing my first assessment. Do I get the benefit of my age for the APFT during basic, or will I have to make the same results as the kids? I understand after basic, the requirements are reduced the older one is.
                  You're APFT scores will go by your age, even if you're in BCT! Check out the chart on here if you don't know what you need: http://bit.ly/L1Jfga.

Comment

Working...
                  X