X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O9S option on paperwork

My only concern for joining is not getting to go through OCS. I haven't been sworn in yet, and I do not know yet where my unit will be. Is there anyway that I can know when I am at MEPS when I can start OCS? My recruiter says it is up to the unit when it happens and that is after BCT. I just don't want to get screwed over by my recruiter. I did actually see 09S on some form I signed before we go down in 2 weeks. So I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: O9S option on paperwork

Should we be assuming that you already meet all of the requirements to go to OCS right now? If that is the case, then yes, you should talk to your recruiter again since you could could go immediately after BCT. However, if you have chosen an MOS either because A) you want to train in a specific job or B) you don't have the credits/degree that you need at this moment then they cannot project when or if OCS will be available to you. Can you give a little more background so that we may help? (age/degree?/waivers?/etc)

Comment

SPC Elmore is right. The recruiter is processing you for enlistment into the ARNG. Your state's OSM will primarily process your commissioning packet. There are a lot of variables here, and they vary based on individual preference, state policies, along with a dozen other reasons. You need to remember your O9S status essentially gives you the OPPORTUNITY to attend OCS. Graduation is not even remotely guaranteed.

Comment

I have all of the requirements met with a 4 year degree and a GT score of 110. So I will be able to attend OCS? I know graduation is solely up to me. I just want to know before I get sworn in if I will be going through OCS.

Comment

I reread your initial question, and it does seem a little foggy. Your OCS plan and timeline should "more or less" be set up prior to you enlisting. Your state's Officer Strength Manager should have discussed your personal options and timeline with you. The comment about your "unit" setting it up seems odd. You would never report to your receiving unit unitl after graduation from OCS. Depending on what school house you choose, you would ostensibly be part of the RSP prior to shipping and perhaps immediately following BCT. You could then be drilling with the RSP or the RTI prior to shipping to OCS. (If there is any gap between those two dates). Many times enlisted recuriters just aren't familiar with the 09S program specifics. While it's important to understand your track's details I wouldn't have any fear of not having an opportunity to attend OCS. It would still be beneificial for you to discuss the details with the OSM office.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            The comment about your "unit" setting it up seems odd. You would never report to your receiving unit unitl after graduation from OCS. Depending on what school house you choose, you would ostensibly be part of the RSP prior to shipping and perhaps immediately following BCT.
            This is actually state specific Sir, for example in our state Soldiers report to their unit after basic and then the Unit schedules OCS and they drill with the unit until it starts.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
              This is actually state specific Sir, for example in our state Soldiers report to their unit after basic and then the Unit schedules OCS and they drill with the unit until it starts.
              So you are saying your Officer Candidates know the line and para that they are filling before they have even started OCS?

Comment

All of the above responses have good information. You can enlist into the Army National Guard (ARNG) and go directly to OCS after Basic Combat Training (BCT) by enlisting under the OCS Enlistment Option (MOS: 09S). If you enlist under this contract it will mean that you will attend BCT and then once complete, begin OCS with one of the following classes. ARNG OCS classes typically begin in Jan. and June with Pre-OCS beginning 3-4 months prior to the actually start date of the course. There is also the option to attend Federal OCS, but you must have a bachelor’s degree to qualify, you must be able to complete the course prior to your 34th birthday and many states will have additional requirements to attend this course such as being prior service Army or USMC, graduating Honor Grad. from BCT, having a high APFT score, etc.

Each state will have their own way of doing things but remember that if you want a guarantee of attending OCS you can have it stipulated in your contract provided the state Officer Strength Manager approves it. If you have any questions you may contact me via e-mail at: specialty@nationalguard.com

Respectfully,

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  So you are saying your Officer Candidates know the line and para that they are filling before they have even started OCS?
                  Not neccessarily, they are still assigned to a unit upon enlistment though.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                    Not neccessarily, they are still assigned to a unit upon enlistment though.
                    You're right. I was assigned to JFHQ upon enlistment which, in reality, means I was part of RSP until officially in the OCS program.

Comment

I drilled for 3 months with my assigned unit once I finished BCT, then started OCS Phase 0. I ended up in a line and para in the same unit, but not everyone did.

Comment

I agree with everyone's advice. You should really take a moment and speak to your recruiter, even if you feel you're being redundant. It's better to ask the same question a hundred times, then to go into a situation not knowing what you're getting into.

Comment

Working...
                        X