X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• becoming an officer

i currently spoke to a recruiter and he mentioned about becoming a basic branch officer and said i qualified, however i currently do not have a bachelors degree. i have 65 credits from a county college and 75 at a certificate school. he said i only need 90 credits to be an officer even without the bachelors degree. but everything i have read so far contradicts what he is saying and that it is mandatory i have the degree not just the credits. so my ? is which is true??? also does anyone know do they accept certificate school credits as credits. the certificate school was for my LPN and i currently hold a NJ license for my LPN after passing my NCLEX.

Re: becoming an officer

Originally posted by llkltc View Post
    i currently spoke to a recruiter and he mentioned about becoming a basic branch officer and said i qualified, however i currently do not have a bachelors degree. i have 65 credits from a county college and 75 at a certificate school. he said i only need 90 credits to be an officer even without the bachelors degree. but everything i have read so far contradicts what he is saying and that it is mandatory i have the degree not just the credits. so my ? is which is true??? also does anyone know do they accept certificate school credits as credits. the certificate school was for my LPN and i currently hold a NJ license for my LPN after passing my NCLEX.
    For the National Guard he is correct. They let you attend Officer Candidate School with the required amount of credits. However,yYou are still required to complete your degree.

Comment

What your recruiter is referring to, is Accelerated OCS. You can enter the program with 90 hours towards your degree. There's a caveat though; Don't expect to make CPT unless you finish your degree, and don't expect to transfer to Active duty because they require a full degree.

Your credits have to be transferrable and earned through a accredited college or university, so basically any credits earned at a tech school such as ITT Tech and your "certificate school" will more than likely not count. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Comment

First, it is important to know if your collegiate credits are from a regionally accredited college or university.

For example if you attended an occupational training school such as The Center For Allied Health Nursing in Ewing, New Jersey (I see that is where you are from), that is not a regionally accredited college, even though it’s successful completion of its courses provide opportunity for licensure. My first inclination is that your LPN is from one of these types of institutions. I suspect that because the number of semester hours you noted as having for that program does not line up with an accredited university program. An LPN program is traditionally a two, at MOST three semester program. Conveying very liberally perhaps up to 36 college credits, but as few as 30 in some programs. Either way no program in the nation would provide 75 regionally accredited semester hours to be a LPN. (That amount is greater than a typical ADN program). So please confirm the details of your credits.

It is true that an applicant with 90 college credits (the completion of 3 full years) can obtain a Reserve Commission through the state run traditional OCS or AOCS program. In fact with the traditional program 60 college credits were required to start as long as 90 were completed prior to graduation from OCS. It is important to note that the college credits need to collectively be applied toward a terminal degree. An applicant’s credit couldn’t all be in 100 level classes without a degree plan progression towards a degree. So, you CAN obtain a commission WITHOUT a bachelor’s degree, BUT you will be up against the clock to obtain one. You can not be promoted to Captain WITHOUT your degree completed. If you fail to meet your education requirements within that timeframe you will be either discharged or reverted back to an enlisted status. Depending on the circumstance, I don’t often recommend doing this unless you are certain you can complete your education.

Comment

Working...
        X