X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation process

I'm in the process of joining the Army Guard in WA state. I'm finishing my master's this summer and have a fixed-wing license. I know that branch selection at OCS is competitive and that Aviation is the most difficult to be awarded. I just have a few questions about the process if someone wouldn't mind offering some advice.

1. Is there any way for me to know (before going to OCS) if there are even going to be ANY pilot seats available?
    2. Would it be better for me to do traditional OCS, rather than accelerated, because I would then have 18 months to be able to introduce myself to the aviation units on post, take my flight physical, etc?
    3. I've heard that if I show up to accelerated or federal OCS without an AFAST score and completed flight physical that I won't even be considered for Aviation. Is this true?

I really appreciate anyone's advice on any of these questions. I'm very excited to be joining the Guard and am just trying to prep as best I can for applying to the Aviation field. Thanks!

Re: Aviation process

The branching process varies from state to state, but many states do not use an order of merit list or other selection system. Your first call should be to Washington's Officer Strength Manager and ask how Washington determines branch selection. Obviously it is partially based on avalible positions. For example, I could not have branched Armor as we have no Armor assets here. I also could not branch MP because at the time all of our MP positions were filled. Outside of that, branch selection consists of applicant preference and a prospective commander's interview, or at least approval. For O9Ss pursuing aviation our State Aviation Officer conducts a formal interview board after the applicant passes the AFAST and a flight physical. Our Officer Candidates know their branch prior to attending OCS. However, this is not the case in ALL states. I had a classmate from Texas, if I recall correctly, had to pick his "top 3" choices. Interestingly, he didn't get any of them. I apologize for the long story long...but contact your OSM.

Comment

Working...
    X