Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification regarding OCS (Secret Security Clearance)

Hey guys,

I am a college senior expecting to graduate in June 2012, and I was planning on contracting to OCS in California.

So I spoke with my recruiter today and I was told that I cannot contract into OCS because I will not be able to get a secret security clearance because I have a traffic citation for "Possession of Drug Paraphernalia." The citation was given to me in March 2011 and it was paid off in June 2011.

He went on to say that there is no chance I will be able to get a secret security clearance no matter how long I wait, and then recommended that I go enlisted instead, perform well for 3 years, and then reapply for OCS and hope I can get a secret security clearance then.

I was just wondering if this information is true. If it is...

Can I try doing ROTC (Grad school) and commission as an officer? If not...

Then I was hoping to see if I can enlist into any of the Military Police jobs since they apparently only require a "Confidential" security clearance. Will this be possible?

Re: Clarification regarding OCS (Secret Security Clearance)

ROTC requires a secret once you contract, and last I checked, MP got top secret, that could just be what my friend got though.. but he def. has a TS. Was the drug stuff just a ticket, or did you go to court and have a misdemeanor charge? I wouldn't think a simple traffic citation should have any effect on a clearance, otherwise anybody with a ticket could never get one, and that is not the case. If you are still unable to get cleared, I would recommend going into one of the combat arms, simply because you don't need the clearance and you will still be out in the field getting dirty and doing the cool stuff (unless you are female of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Nohone View Post
      Hey guys,

I am a college senior expecting to graduate in June 2012, and I was planning on contracting to OCS in California.

So I spoke with my recruiter today and I was told that I cannot contract into OCS because I will not be able to get a secret security clearance because I have a traffic citation for "Possession of Drug Paraphernalia." The citation was given to me in March 2011 and it was paid off in June 2011.

He went on to say that there is no chance I will be able to get a secret security clearance no matter how long I wait, and then recommended that I go enlisted instead, perform well for 3 years, and then reapply for OCS and hope I can get a secret security clearance then.

I was just wondering if this information is true. If it is...

Can I try doing ROTC (Grad school) and commission as an officer? If not...

Then I was hoping to see if I can enlist into any of the Military Police jobs since they apparently only require a "Confidential" security clearance. Will this be possible?
      Why are recruiters determining who will and who won't get security clearances? I know plenty of people with a past drug charge that have a clearance. There isn't really one single thing that will stop one. It is a whole person concept.

Will OCS accept that is another story.

Sounds to me like this guy is out of his lane.

Comment

31B just requires a secret clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          Why are recruiters determining who will and who won't get security clearances? I know plenty of people with a past drug charge that have a clearance. There isn't really one single thing that will stop one. It is a whole person concept.

Will OCS accept that is another story.

Sounds to me like this guy is out of his lane.
          I agree. In any kind of secret clearance/polygraph situation, what they're looking for is deception. If you lie about it, then yeah you can kiss the idea goodbye, or if you have ever sold drugs or anything like that then you're screwed no matter what. But just the possession or whatever should be a non issue as long as you're honest about it.

Comment

The Staff Sergeant has given you the most reasonable advice. A secret clearence is not particularly difficult to obtain. Perhaps a contracted agent might come to your home or work to speak with you regarding the specifics of your charge, but I would not consider it a game ender. This RRNCO's advice (at least as you describe it) sounds erroneous to me.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses, I appreciate that.

So just to be more clear about the paraphernalia charge...

According to the Officer who gave it to me, he said it was a traffic citation and the citation had a bill that I had to pay and that was it. There was no mandatory court date, there was however a court date I could attend to decrease the fine (which I did), and I decreased the fine from like $652 to $232 or something like that. Apparently in Nevada all traffic citations, even speeding tickets, are considered misdemeanors.

The Recruiter I spoke to said the Army considers my charge a misdemeanor.

However, from what I understand from other recruiters I spoke with, apparently the Army is not accepting ANYONE with a drug related charge at all. Is that true?

Because I spoke to another Recruiter before I spoke to the one I just mentioned in my original post. The 1st recruiter said what I just said in the above sentence, so I thought I was done. Then my friend referred me to this recruiter I'm speaking to now, and so now apparently I have a chance.

As you can see, I'm quite confused. So if anyone can clear this for me I'd be very appreciative of that.

Comment

dont quote me on this.. but i feel like him saying the army doesnt take anything drug related would be from the questions they ask at meps. one of the surveys ask if you have ever done drugs, and it is not good to say yes, but they figure if you were arrested on a drug charge, than you are obviously lying when you say you have not done drugs.. but again, that is just a guess

Comment

OP, you're probably won't be able to enlist/branch MP as you do have a conviction and MP's have stricter requirements.

As far as being an officer, clearance and drug related charge, you maybe better off speaking with the OSM for your state or the PMS of the ROTC program as officer accessions are different.

Comment

Yeah I figured MP would be off-limits if I can't even get a secret security clearance.

But it's strange because I also thought that those clearances don't get dropped just because one of charge. It's not like I have nothing else to show for.

I'll see about contacting the California OSM.

Comment

Just so you are clear, you cannot obtain a commission via any route without a minimum of a Secret clearance. It is ALSO true that the Army views the state civil infraction as a misdemeanor even though that assessment is at odds with the local law. However, I believe it to be erroneous that it would bar you from obtaining a secret clearance. An enlistment waiver is another issue altogether. Just remember those are two seperate things. (1. Moral/Legal qualifications for enlistment. 2. Secret Clearence)

Comment

Thank you for your clarification.

From what I have been told, it seems that any drug related charge at all is unwaiverable even for regular enlistees. My recruiter went on to say that this isn't just for the California National Guard, but for the whole U.S Army. I guess with all the downsizing and with the war winding down, the U.S Army is in the position to make these sort of rules.

Unless I have been misinformed, it seems that my only chance now to join the U.S Army is to wait patiently until these rules change...

Comment

Nohone, I was interested in your situation, and I called my regional R&R NCOIC for waiver guidance. He indicated to me clearly that your charge is not only waiverable, it's a TAG (in state) waiver. So the guidance "any drug related charge at all is unwaiverable" is innacurate. If you continue to have an interest in enlisting please email me and I will provide you with specific regulatory guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            Nohone, I was interested in your situation, and I called my regional R&R NCOIC for waiver guidance. He indicated to me clearly that your charge is not only waiverable, it's a TAG (in state) waiver. So the guidance "any drug related charge at all is unwaiverable" is innacurate. If you continue to have an interest in enlisting please email me and I will provide you with specific regulatory guidance.
                            This could potentially be different state to state...just throwing that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                              dont quote me on this.. but i feel like him saying the army doesnt take anything drug related would be from the questions they ask at meps. one of the surveys ask if you have ever done drugs, and it is not good to say yes, but they figure if you were arrested on a drug charge, than you are obviously lying when you say you have not done drugs.. but again, that is just a guess
                              I have a clearance. I have smoked weed. I said so when I got cleared as a civilian for a DOD job. I was then told by my recruiter to not include it in my security stuff. I told the truth and kept it in there. They interview you a little more, but if you are open and honest you will be fine. The key things, you can't have used anything in the last 6 months at a minimum. Some times its much longer (heroin even once is considered a 5 year minimum from the guidance I've seen). A drug charge hurts because it shows that you used the drug enough to let it have negative impacts on you. That being said, if the army is accepting waivers or not has nothing to do with your clearance. You don't get waivers for a clearance, you either get cleared or you don't. The army doesn't clear you, a separate agency does that. The recruiter is probably busy with applicants he thinks he can put in and doesn't want to do paperwork if you are less likely to go through. If that is the case, look for another recruiter or call the OSM to see if there are recruiters with lower work loads.

Comment

Working...
                              X