X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC/SMP/GRFD/Prior Service - Mandatory Service Obligation Question

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone since I commissioned (including my ROTC cadre) on what my Service Obligation is as an officer.

So here are the facts, and I'm curious to see if you can tell me when I should be done with my service:

I enlisted in 2004
    I signed an SMP contract in 2005
    I signed a GI BILL kicker.
    Fall-Winter 06 I signed the GRFD scholarship. I received one payment spring 07 and two payments in my 07-08 year.
    I commissioned in 2008 and signed the Officer Accession Bonus for a 6 year commitment starting at my time of commission.

Based on all of these facts, I think my service obligation should end in 2014.

Is there any reason it would end in 2016?

The only reason I think it could end in 2016 is the GRFD. But the eight years attached to that are assuming I wasn't prior enlisted. Since I was, doesn't that mean I refer to the Accession Bonus guidelines? Or does it cancel out my previously met MSO to form a brand new 8 year MSO?

Thanks for your response.

Re: ROTC/SMP/GRFD/Prior Service - Mandatory Service Obligation Question

The GRFD scholarship contract carries an eight year drilling obligation from commissioning day. In this particular case, your years of prior service have no relevance.

Comment

You are confusing the statutory MSO with contractual MSO.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
        You are confusing the statutory MSO with contractual MSO.
        Yes, yes he did. Take a look at the posts I have linked in my signature block, and tell me if they address this issue as well as I think they do. If not, give me some recommendations to edit for clarity. It all makes perfect sense to me, but this forum isn't about me, it's about new Soldiers for whom all these issues are new and confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          Yes, yes he did. Take a look at the posts I have linked in my signature block, and tell me if they address this issue as well as I think they do. If not, give me some recommendations to edit for clarity. It all makes perfect sense to me, but this forum isn't about me, it's about new Soldiers for whom all these issues are new and confusing.
          Sir, I believe the post: (http://www.NATIONALGUARD.com/forums/...er-OCS-or-ROTC) does a great job at laying out the most common scenarios.

Comment

Sir,
            The National Guard site currently reads this:

In order to continue into the Advanced Course and be eligible for your officer’s commission (or if you receive an ROTC scholarship), you will be obligated to serve following graduation.

Here’s the way your commitment breaks down:

If you receive an ROTC scholarship, you’ll serve four years as an officer in the National Guard following graduation, drilling one weekend a month and training two weeks a year (usually during the summer).

If you don’t receive a scholarship, but still complete the four-year Advanced Course, you’ll be required to serve three years as a National Guard officer.

Every Soldier commits for a total of eight years, but beyond your three- or four-year requirement, you can choose to serve the remainder in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)—which means you won't train with a unit, but you can still be called up in the event of an emergency.

Has the MSO for the ROTC program changed or is there something I'm missing?

Comment

Please give me the link to that page.

The quoted text describes the generic ROTC scholarship ("campus-based"), with which one may serve in any of the three Army components. The GRFD and DedARNG scholarships have separate provisions in law that mandate their service obligation.

Originally posted by JR7775 View Post
              Sir,
              The National Guard site currently reads this:

In order to continue into the Advanced Course and be eligible for your officer’s commission (or if you receive an ROTC scholarship), you will be obligated to serve following graduation.

Here’s the way your commitment breaks down:

If you receive an ROTC scholarship, you’ll serve four years as an officer in the National Guard following graduation, drilling one weekend a month and training two weeks a year (usually during the summer).

If you don’t receive a scholarship, but still complete the four-year Advanced Course, you’ll be required to serve three years as a National Guard officer.

Every Soldier commits for a total of eight years, but beyond your three- or four-year requirement, you can choose to serve the remainder in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)—which means you won't train with a unit, but you can still be called up in the event of an emergency.

Has the MSO for the ROTC program changed or is there something I'm missing?

Comment

Here it is sir: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...otc-commitment

Comment

If I could add my own question to this thread. In my case I would not pursue a scholarship because we have NJ state tuition waivers for state colleges. I would do SMP after BCT and AIT and therefore skip the first 2 years of ROTC. What would my minimum MSO be?
                  Last edited by JR7775; April 25th, 2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JR7775 View Post
                    I've just re-confirmed with a colleague that, yes, I am indeed right and this page is at best misleading. He has submitted a formal request to get that page changed to clarify the obligations for the different types of scholarships. Thanks for the good catch. Others will benefit from your diligence.

Comment

Could someone educate me with statutory obligation end date:

Enlisted 19990407
                      Appointment Accelerated ARNG OCS: 20040807

Comment

Working...
                      X