X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC after basic

I'm enlisted as E-2 in 91F(small arms repair); going to basic in Sept. I am in college and interested in becoming an officer. It will be the perfect time for me to join ROTC when I get back. However, I don't want to be a logistics/quartermaster/ordinance officer.

Would it be atypical for me to change branch in pursuing an Infantry or MI Commission?

Also how and when do you choose which branch you want to go to BOLC for?

Re: ROTC after basic

Originally posted by JR7775 View Post
    I'm enlisted as E-2 in 91F(small arms repair); going to basic in Sept. I am in college and interested in becoming an officer. It will be the perfect time for me to join ROTC when I get back. However, I don't want to be a logistics/quartermaster/ordinance officer.

Would it be atypical for me to change branch in pursuing an Infantry or MI Commission?

Also how and when do you choose which branch you want to go to BOLC for?
    Commissioning into a branch other than one you served as enlisted is very common.

For ROTC it depends whether you wish to commission into Active Duty or a Reserve Component. Once that is determined, how and when you go to BOLC depends. I believe HRC handles most of the ROTC Commissioned LT's BOLC dates.

Comment

91F, pretty awesome MOS!
      (sorry for off topic, but you'll love it if you like weapons and guns)

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Commissioning into a branch other than one you served as enlisted is very common.

For ROTC it depends whether you wish to commission into Active Duty or a Reserve Component. Once that is determined, how and when you go to BOLC depends. I believe HRC handles most of the ROTC Commissioned LT's BOLC dates.
        thank you sir, that's what I was looking for. BTW I am also in NJ.

Comment

One more question also. Are all branches always accepting cadets or are some branches by availability?

Comment

Originally posted by JR7775 View Post
            One more question also. Are all branches always accepting cadets or are some branches by availability?
            For the NJ ARNG, depends on slot vacancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              For the NJ ARNG, depends on slot vacancy.
              however, as a rule of thumb, yes, all branches take cadets - sans SF, I think you have to earn that one. As the LT says though, it is all state dependent. the nice thing about the guard is that when you commission, you pick your job and your state. so, say you want to be MI, and there is no MI here in VA (hypothetically), than you could look to MD and say oh hey, here is MI, I will call up that unit and see if they have a slot for me. That, in a round-a-bout much more complicated way, is how accessions work for the guard

Comment

thanks all

Comment

Working...
                X