Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Officer Question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Officer Question

    Hi! I just talked to a recruiter yesterday. Seemed like a nice guy. I just want to confirm some things before I do anything

    I am on track to graduate next year with a B.A in Political Science. I want to be an officer in the Army, so I contacted the schools ROTC leader, and he had said it would be too late for me to join, and I would have to go through the Guard. I talked to the Guard recruiter yesterday and he had said that if I qualify on the tests, I would do basic, and then officer training school. I told him my intentions were to be a full time officer and he had said it would be easy to switch from Guar to Active Duty as an officer. Is this true, as I have read things that it isn't necessarily that easy.

    Another thing is my living situation. I had asked if I would be aloud to live with my girlfriend, or would I be forced to live on base without her if I am not married. He said that I could in fact live with her. Now this is the opposite of what I had heard, in that if you are not married, you have to live in the barracks.

    Like I said, he seemed nice, and like a great guy, but I just want to confirm what we went over. Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Officer Question

    Originally posted by wvufan1988 View Post
    Hi! I just talked to a recruiter yesterday. Seemed like a nice guy. I just want to confirm some things before I do anything

    I am on track to graduate next year with a B.A in Political Science. I want to be an officer in the Army, so I contacted the schools ROTC leader, and he had said it would be too late for me to join, and I would have to go through the Guard. I talked to the Guard recruiter yesterday and he had said that if I qualify on the tests, I would do basic, and then officer training school. I told him my intentions were to be a full time officer and he had said it would be easy to switch from Guar to Active Duty as an officer. Is this true, as I have read things that it isn't necessarily that easy.

    Another thing is my living situation. I had asked if I would be aloud to live with my girlfriend, or would I be forced to live on base without her if I am not married. He said that I could in fact live with her. Now this is the opposite of what I had heard, in that if you are not married, you have to live in the barracks.

    Like I said, he seemed nice, and like a great guy, but I just want to confirm what we went over. Thanks!
    Easy? Try very hard.

    Living conditions - why would the National Guard care?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Officer Question

      Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post

      Living conditions - why would the National Guard care?
      He had told me when I switched to active army I could live with her instead of the barracks. Is that true?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Officer Question

        You've got a couple of options.

        You can join the National Guard and participate in ROTC as long as you have two academic years left, then commission into active duty. For many soldiers, that means getting a masters degree; however, speaking from experience, think carefully about whether you want to go down that road, since graduate work is twice as difficult as undergraduate work, and ROTC cadets can be a bunch of silly heads at times. Your ROTC adviser probably wasn't aware of that option for you.

        If you DON'T want to do ROTC, and you DO want to be an active duty officer, you need to talk to an active duty recruiter. He'll put you in for an 09S slot.

        You won't live with your girlfriend during BCT (9 or 10 weeks), though I'm not sure about after that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Officer Question

          Alright thanks! I don't think that I want to continue school. I will talk to an active duty recruiter. Thanks for the help!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Officer Question

            Ok, granted recruiters have a hard job to do but at the end of the day they need bodies; you're smart to check the facts. I'm a prior guard 1LT but currently a SSG on active duty so I've learned a thing or two along the way:

            1) There are two basic categories of ROTC commissions- active and reserve; the latter is just that, reserve. It is very difficult if not impossible to transfer a reserve commission to active duty, I know I've tried several times. The exception is if you have a degree in a specialized technical field, say for example, environmental science, you can apply for a direct commission into activie duty.

            2) With a liberal arts degree such as yours your best bet is to enlist with an OCS option. This means you'll enlist into active duty as a specialist (E-4), go thru regular basic and advanced training (AIT), and then onto regular army OCS. Assuming you complete all that, you'll then go to an officer basic course (OBC). You will not be able to choose your branch (job field) until you complete OCS and even then needs of the army takes precedence. This is in contrast to a regular enlisted contract where you are guaranteed a specific job (MOS) when you sign up.

            3) Whether enlisted or officer, you will NOT be able to have a girlfriend live with you in the barracks. Your best bet is to apply for an exception to policy and live off post; however keep in mind you'll be paying out of pocket and will not be eligible for the housing (BAH) and subsistence (BAS) allowances since you are not married. Generally, as an E-4 or below, you'll not be allowed to live off post if single, but this is up to the unit commander and 1SG on a case by case basis. However, this should not be a problem if you go the officer route.

            Hope this helps and good luck!

            SSG Bertoli

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Officer Question

              True. We were just briefed again by the NG Liaison. Active duty is NOT taking an officers from a reserve component unless they are a CPT in certain career fields with highly technical degress...math, specific types of engineering, a hard science, etc and then its on a case by case basis.

              So you will not be able to transfer, even if you're branched infantry and get an OER showing you as "Delta Dan, the one man walking battle drill six".

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Officer Question

                Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
                1) There are two basic categories of ROTC commissions- active and reserve; the latter is just that, reserve. It is very difficult if not impossible to transfer a reserve commission to active duty, I know I've tried several times. The exception is if you have a degree in a specialized technical field, say for example, environmental science, you can apply for a direct commission into activie duty.
                I believe that technically the commission is federalized, hence the federal recognition. But yes, he would have to be released from his unit and accepted into the active component, which is extremely unlikely as of now.

                Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
                2) With a liberal arts degree such as yours your best bet is to enlist with an OCS option. This means you'll enlist into active duty as a specialist (E-4), go thru regular basic and advanced training (AIT), and then onto regular army OCS. Assuming you complete all that, you'll then go to an officer basic course (OBC). You will not be able to choose your branch (job field) until you complete OCS and even then needs of the army takes precedence. This is in contrast to a regular enlisted contract where you are guaranteed a specific job (MOS) when you sign up.
                If he enlists as a 09S, he will attend only BCT (basic combat training) and OCS. He would not attend AIT since he would not be getting an enlisted MOS. This is definitely his best option right now.

                Comment

                Working...
                X