X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental requirements for OCS

I tried posting this before, but I never could find my post, so Ill try again. Im a 28 year old with a bachelors degree. I am looking to join the North Carolina Army National Guard soon. I havent had dental insurance since I got out of high school, and I know that I have some cavities and at least one impacted wisdom tooth. None of this causes any pain or discomfort. Ive read that they give you a basic exam and take xrays at reception, then before you finish AIT you have to have the issues fixed. I intend to start State OCS in the spring. Will this force me to have my dental issues fixed at BCT? Im worried about missing training due to the appointments I would need, not to mention adding stress to an already stressful time. Is anyone familiar with the requirements I will be subjected to?

Also, along those same lines, do soldiers have the choice to receive resin fillings, opposed to metal amalgam fillings? I really want to avoid a mouth full of metal fillings if I can. I have the opportunity to go onto my future wifes insurance (we get married later this year), but would wait until Im enlisted to get the work done if I can choose (or pay extra for) resin fillings.

Again, any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Dental requirements for OCS

My experience was this:

X-Rays and examination at BCT. As far as I can remember, people weren't getting dental work done at that time.

Fast forward to AIT: I had a big cavity on one of my molars they found during reception. You'll get email notices via AKO regarding dental appointments that are set up on your behalf. The platoon sergeant will make sure you are there, or you'll get your *** chewed. Once there, the dentist said, "oh, I see you've only done resin fillings in the past. I suppose you want this one to be resin as well?" Etc, etc.

BLUF: don't worry about it--it will be taken care of.

Comment

I havent had any resin fillings on my molars, only on my front teeth. I have two amalgam fillings on my upper molars, but one of the fillings is broken, per my last dentist visit. I just seem to have a small cavity on practically every molar, and dont want to look at a mouth full of metal fillings. Its just a self confidence thing, even though no one will see it. Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

We just did a PHA and they were sawing those wisdom teeth out left and right. Oh' they will fix your teeth, it's a readiness issue. Can't send a person off to war with cavities.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          We just did a PHA and they were sawing those wisdom teeth out left and right. Oh' they will fix your teeth, it's a readiness issue. Can't send a person off to war with cavities.
          Of course. I know they will fix them. But I was just wondering how quick it will have to happen since Ill be on contract to go to state OCS for a year and a half.
          Last edited by xcaliburelite; April 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
          X