X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation officer vs infantry officer

Hello, i am currently in NG OCS and leave for phase one in July. I have great interest in Aviation's and have successfully passed my flight physical along with the AFAST. The only problem is that most recently a NCO that i know told me that the wait is 2 to 2.5 years. Being in the pursuit of being a police officer, waiting 2.5 years and leaving for 1.5 year school will be difficult. on the other hand i have always had infantry in the back of my mind. Being an infantry officer would greatly benefit me as well, along with attending specialties schools (ranger, airborne, AA.) I am interested in opinion or experience in either branch, and looking forward to feed back. Thanks
    OC TWINING
    MAARNG

Re: Aviation officer vs infantry officer

Originally posted by aatwining View Post
    Hello, i am currently in NG OCS and leave for phase one in July. I have great interest in Aviation's and have successfully passed my flight physical along with the AFAST. The only problem is that most recently a NCO that i know told me that the wait is 2 to 2.5 years. Being in the pursuit of being a police officer, waiting 2.5 years and leaving for 1.5 year school will be difficult. on the other hand i have always had infantry in the back of my mind. Being an infantry officer would greatly benefit me as well, along with attending specialties schools (ranger, airborne, AA.) I am interested in opinion or experience in either branch, and looking forward to feed back. Thanks
    OC TWINING
    MAARNG
    It is semi state dependant as to when they have seats available in flight school. I think there is some confusion in the way you understood him. Fort Rucker is usually backed up, and for 8-11 months of trianing some have been known to be at Fort Rucker for 2 years, but it is not neccessarily a 2 year wait to get down there, and then another 2 through trianing. There is known to be alot of dead time in between trianing phases we refer to as "bubbles".

You should realize that getting hired into law enforcement can take a LONG time, even if everything is in a perfect world. The hiring process for a police department from start to finish can take a year to two depending on department hiring timelines and requirements.

If I was you, I would forget about the cop thing for a few seconds and answer this question "If I was called to active duty service for operations overseas, I would most likely enjoy serving more as a pilot or as a infantry officer?" Answer that for yourself and then pursue it. The police department will always be there, and you may be able to still compete in their hiring while you fullfill your trianing.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      It is semi state dependant as to when they have seats available in flight school. I think there is some confusion in the way you understood him. Fort Rucker is usually backed up, and for 8-11 months of trianing some have been known to be at Fort Rucker for 2 years, but it is not neccessarily a 2 year wait to get down there, and then another 2 through trianing. There is known to be alot of dead time in between trianing phases we refer to as "bubbles".

You should realize that getting hired into law enforcement can take a LONG time, even if everything is in a perfect world. The hiring process for a police department from start to finish can take a year to two depending on department hiring timelines and requirements.

If I was you, I would forget about the cop thing for a few seconds and answer this question "If I was called to active duty service for operations overseas, I would most likely enjoy serving more as a pilot or as a infantry officer?" Answer that for yourself and then pursue it. The police department will always be there, and you may be able to still compete in their hiring while you fullfill your trianing.

Thanks for you input. I've put more thought into and realized the benefits of Aviations, and i have also realized that police station will be there forever. I want to do my time best to my ability while in the guard and work on my career later. thanks again Sergeant.

Comment

Thanks for you input. I've put more thought into and realized the benefits of Aviations, and i have also realized that police station will be there forever. I want to do my time best to my ability while in the guard and work on my career later. thanks again Sergeant.
        Well good luck with it. And, for the record, I know how to spell "training"...my keyboard did not want to cooperate.

Comment

OC Twining have you contacted anyone in the Aviation command yet? If you are serious about branching Aviation there are a few hurdles you must get over prior to submitting your branch wish list. You need to get scheduled for that AFAST and Flight Physical as soon as you can so you can better your chances of branching aviation. Most states are more willing to select someone who has taken the initiative and already got those things knocked out before requesting to branch Aviation.

Also a follow up on the SSG comments, the bubbles are becoming shorter and shorter, as Ft. Rucker has indentified the problem and is making a strong effort to reduce the dead time. Unfortunately these bubbles still and probably always will exist but if you are looking for a time frame of how long you will be at Ft. Rucker, you can expect 12-18 months. I completed flight school in 2009 and it took me 18 months with a 3 month bubble. With those being shorter now you can expect 18 months or less.

Comment

Thanks chief for the info, I appreciate it. And I have taken my AFAST and physical successfully already and my XO cpt (aviations) is currently helping me with the packet and board prep..thanks again...how does choosing an aircraft work at fligh school?

Comment

how does choosing an aircraft work at fligh school?
              National Guard soldiers usually know what airframe they will be flying before they even leave for flight school. Even if your state has multiple types of Aviation Units that fly all the different Airframes you will be told if you are being accepted into a Blackhawk, Chinook, OH-58 or Apache Unit. I think you mentioned you are in Mass, which I believe they only have UH-60's in your state but I could be wrong. I know they have a Unit with UH-60M models. Those are the all glass cockpit, with the advanced flight control system and all the gee-wiz stuff avionics package.

Only Active Duty guys got to flight school with the unknown of what they will be flying. They compete throughout the Initial Entry Rotary Wing Training(IERW) cycle to see where they come out on the OML. On selection day all the National Guard guys sit in the back of the room and watch "the Draft". Itís pretty informal, they just put up how many of each airframe is allotted to that particular class based on the needs of the Army. They go right down the OML and some guys get what they want and others not so much.

Comment

Thanks again, I'm pretty sure you're correct in that Mass only flies UH-60, which is what i wanted anyway so that's good. Have you deployed since your completion of aviation school?

Comment

Working...
                X